Housed in the old monastery of Saint-Denis, le Musée des Beaux-Arts is considered one of the most important regional fine arts museums in France. It was founded in 1794 and was originally located within l'Hôtel de Ville, the city's municipal building. In 1908, the museum acquired the abandoned monastery and relocated there. Its collection consists of works that span several centuries, including paintings by most famous artists such Delacroix, Monet, Renoir and Matisse.
The museum is located inside of the old abbey Saint-Denis. To get to the museum, walk down the street following the arrow pointing in the direction of the museum from the cathedral.
The permanent collection of paintings is on the second floor. Here you can see paintings by Cranach (both the father and the son), Teniers, Jordaens, Le Brun, Millet, Rousseau, Courbet, Corot, Monet, Sisley, Pissarro, Matisse, Dufy, Gauguin.
There are also statues by Rodin and his contemporaries and a great collection of French porcelain on the first floor, including Galle’s Art Nouveau vases.