Vitry-le-François Travel Guide

Notre Dame Church

Vitry-le-François Things to Do

Church doors 4 more images

by balhannah Written Jun 13, 2013

As I mentioned in the previous tip, I walked the whole way around the outside of this Classical styled Church. It is that big, I found I had to stand a long way back to fit the whole Church in my photo's. The style is quite different to most churches, and so are the Church doors. All were painted maroon with what looked like flowers instead of the usual religious figures. Interesting too, was NO stained glass windows.

• Religious Travel

Inside Notre Dame Church 4 more images

by balhannah Written Jun 13, 2013

This old Classical style Church, is classified a Historic National Monument. It was built between the 17th & 18th centuries and is located on the town square.
    It is huge, I know, I walked the whole way around it, [it takes a full block], trying to find an entry door, eventually one in the side street opened. The Church has been built in a style of many other great Churches. Inside, it was a little dark, but once my eyes adjusted I saw it was quite a plain grey inside. I did find many nice monuments & sculptures and side altars. It is worth going inside to have a look.

• Religious Travel

Porte du Pont

by balhannah Written Jun 13, 2013

As we arrived at Vitry-le-Francois from the direction of Chalon's-en-Champagne, the view that first greeted us, was a magnificent Gate Bridge. It was once located at the precise entry point to the town, on the Paris side of Vitry, but in 1984, it was moved. In the olden days, it was here that taxes had to be paid on goods of any kind being brought into Vitry. The Gate Bridge was built in honour of Louis XIV in 1748.

• Architecture

Vitry-le-François Restaurants

• pedroswift's Profile Photo
    Outside view - footpath dining 4 more images

by pedroswift Updated Oct 21, 2010

Once you’ve eaten at the Grande Brasserie and tasted not only the food but the beautifully decorated classic brasserie décor and the warm welcome from both staff and locals dining there you will want to come back.
    In true French brasserie style, the sea and seafood is the focus of the décor and the carte. One of the difficulties you might encounter is making a choice of what to eat. The carte is large.
    Oysters perhaps? The choice of six, nine or twelve of 5 different gradings has to be made. eg the Les Fines de Claire number 2 - € 11.5 - €16- €19.90.
    Entrée? – choice of nine from €6 (for terrine de maison) to €14.90 (smoked salmon).
    Fish Dishes include ten choices €12.5 to 23.90 (Sole – Belle Muniere) Plats de Fruits de Mer range from small shellfish selection €18 to whole lobster for €42.
    Meat eaters are catered for with 15 dishes most expensive Tournedos Rossini - €29.
    Other brasserie specialities are available like Choucroutes, Flammenkuches and Tartine Campanarde.
    Desserts are featured in an attractively presented illustrated carte.

Favorite Dish: I elected to try the Seafood Marmite (marmite is the cast iron covered pot in which the dish is prepared and served.). I and two of my companions who tried it also were not disappointed. The meat eater amongst us enjoyed a veal dish. We drank wine by the glass (€2.7 to €3.8).
    Unusually for me I elected to have dessert instead of an entrée. My head was turned by the glossy illustrations in the carte and was not disappointed by the Assiette of Four different Desserts. (see photo 5). This will ultimately cost me big-time. I will have to come back for more whenever I’m within a day’s drive of the place.
    Four Mains and desserts plus coffee and two or three glass of wine saw the bill total €106. Can’t complain about that!

Instant Answers: Vitry-le-François

Comments

Vitry-le-François Travel Guide
Map of Vitry-le-François