Related Corsica Favorites Tips

by sdoca

Most Viewed Favorites in Corsica

• Less of a boneshaker

by kidminder Written Sep 1, 2009

Favorite thing: Corsicas smell from the mountains, the southern beaches, basically a combination of the two in one place

Fondest memory: on my second trip, I decided I had to take the boneshaker railway. Imagine my shock when an airconditioned, panoramic window car appeared......with sockets next to the window to charge your electrical items! It does get crowded so unless you are next to the window be prepared for bottoms, loose swinging trainers and elbows to catch your head.
    I did the trip from Ponte leccia to ajaccio a mere 2 and three quarter hours...I had to keep reminding myself that the flight from the uk took less time.

• Trains

• coccinella169's Profile Photo

Corsican music: I Muvrini

by coccinella169 Written Mar 2, 2008

Favorite thing: If you want to know how corsican language sounds, the songs of Corsica`s most famous group i Muvrini (corsican for these small wild mouflon sheep you find on the island) are mainly in this language. They consist of the brothers Jean-Francois and Alain Bernardini and several other musicians. They are doing a mix between pop, folk and polyphonic music which seems to have also some celtic elements, maybe because they use bagpipes- and some songs also sound a bit like sacred music. Most famous song probably is "Terre d`oru" (or Fields of gold) with Sting. They are promoting corsican language and culture and have also founded a Corsica foundation. On the island of Corsica you can be sure to hear their music a lot, probably also because some of their songs sound like hymns for indipendence. I saw them in a concert in Hamburg - and it was great, - they manage to create a magical and poetical atmosphere . I am sure it will be also a great experience seeing them in a concert on their island. Web link: www.muvrini.com

• sdoca's Profile Photo

Flying is the fastest way to go to Corsica

by sdoca Written Nov 21, 2006

Favorite thing: The view is breathtaking wherever you are on the island.
    The smell of the "maquis" is amazing.
    The language and the music are beautiful.
    The people are tough but very very kind and generous.

Fondest memory: My grandma telling stories on how life ued to be in Corsica between 1900 and 2000.
    Touring the island.
    Going to the beach with my cousins.
    Walking in the mountain between villages.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Archeology

• satara's Profile Photo

Attention: yellow!

by satara Written Jul 8, 2005

Favorite thing: I haven't seen anywhere else in Corsica like in the north and in Cap Corse a such huge amount of yellow butterflies (who knows what kind of butterfly was that??).
    They were everywhere - on the road, on the trees, on your car, on the flowers... everywhere!... and so many dead on the roads due to clash with passing cars.
    I was lucky to meet one, which allowed me to come quite near to take a photo of her yellow beauty:)

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo

Hire a car to see the beauty of Corsica

by rachel_sun Written Nov 9, 2003

Fondest memory: Do go to Ajaccio and see Naploean's birthplace.See the morning market here and opposite the market,is the fish hall.Visit the Casa,where Naploeon was born.Hire a car and visit the beautiful beaches.Go to Calvi along the northwest coast and see the imposing Citadel(ruins of a castle) and the mountains and great views.Explore the narrow streets and stylish boutiques,then enjoy lunch in the elegant Piazza.There is a great assortment of bars,brasseries and restaurants to choose from.The town has a great beach as well.

• Architecture

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo

Try the wonderful food and wine

by rachel_sun Written Nov 9, 2003

Fondest memory: I would recomend each of the following things are not to miss;Try the wonderful food and wine.Explore the heart of the island,behind the great beaches,and see the fantastic mountains.Go to Bastia and see the statue of Napoleon ,staring out to sea and see how italian the town is.Go to the morning market and see the selection of fresh fish in the shops.Do go on a boat trip along the steep coastline to the grottoes or the Lavezzi Islands.

• rachel_sun's Profile Photo

My fondest memory was the beautiful food,beaches

by rachel_sun Updated Nov 9, 2003

Favorite thing: My fondest memory was the beautiful food and the fantastic beaches.There were so many nice ice-cream parlours around and they were unreal.I loved the fresh cakes you could get from the bakery and the smell of spit roast chickens cooking on the street as you passed a shop.The wine was fantastic. My fondest memory of all was sitting outside in the evenings and having a great meal with wine and watching the fantastic sun-sets.They were beautiful.I loved the unique blend of French and Italian food.It is such a exciting place as well,not just beaches,plenty of things to see.I really enjoyed going to Corte,Corsica's capital.It had lovely quaint shops and restaurants and cafe's.The scenery was fantastic ,with wild horses running around and beautiful pine forests.

• Psife's Profile Photo

Road side Springs

by Psife Written Sep 9, 2003

Favorite thing: On some places along the roads there are small springs where water trickle down from the mountains where you can refill water bottles.

These places are usually really beautiful since the plants flourish beacuse of the water.

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Head to Calvi !!!!!

by into-thin-air Written Jul 21, 2003

Favorite thing: When it is time to come down from the mountains, when you are looking for a place to Relax, maybe spend your last few days on the Island before it is time to head home, then Calvi is definitely the place to go !! Beautiful setting, Great beaches, Fabulous back-drop !! What more could you ask for ????

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Rugged Mountains

by into-thin-air Written Jan 5, 2003

Favorite thing: Even if walking isn't really your thing I would still recommend the walk up the Tavignanu valley from Corte, Beautiful unspoilt mountain country with no cars, no pollution and if you time it right not to many people !!!

Fondest memory: Friendly people, good food and good wine and views to die for !!!

• adinda's Profile Photo

Hiking, beaches and rugged nature

by adinda Written Sep 19, 2002

Favorite thing: I would recommend Corsica to everyone travelling to France! It is a beautiful island, especially if you like deserted beaches and hiking. We stayed for one week in the quiet Santa Giulia just below Porto Vecchio in the South East. We visisted Porto Vecchio, Bonifacio, Sartene and Corte and did some walking in the mountains. The beach of Santa Giulia is superb and since we were there in May it was all quiet, just a couple of tourists (mainly French and Italian).
    Also worth mentioning is the food. If you like seafood, you're in the right place. But that's not all they have. The cheese is very good as well, and let's not forget the wine!

• Although it had been a long 2...

by SusanneBeck Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Although it had been a long 2 days, when I arrived in Corte I was suddenly wide awake and dying to explore. As soon as I'd arrived at the university, I made friends with an English girl who'd already been in Corte a few days. She took me out and one of the first things I saw was the castle. This is the highest point in the town of Corte and I recognised it from websites. It's often used as a symbol of the town. It's very beautiful and at night when it's all lit up, it's an amazing sight. Even after my first night, I would look at it in amazement. It really made the town so much prettier. It stands out so easily and often it would be the first thing I'd see when arriving back in Corte after a day out and it would be so good to know I was home.

• SusanneBeck's General Tip

by SusanneBeck Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: One of the best times in Corsica for me was my 21st birthday. Not being at home with my friends and family, I could have felt so sad, but my new friends did everything they could to make it the best birthday I'd ever had. Being born at 12 minutes past midnight, I always like to see my birthday in the night before. It was Friday night and we'd been playing french monopoly and drinking wine. I was actually getting very drunk which wasn't a good thing when I intended going up to the viewpoint to see my birthday in. Anyway, I didn't let a few drinks, a fuzzy head, and a slight queasiness stop me so a few of us climbed the steps to the viewpoint. It was so surreal. We were all slightly drunk, some of us more than others (ie. me) and we carried a tape recorder playing a tape of Ella Fitzgerald. It felt so unreal but, as I was being almost carried up the steps, I was so happy. It was a great experience being at the viewpoint so late. The sky was full of stars and I had my friends with me. As it got closer to 12 minutes past midnight, they started to countdown and then all sang Happy Birthday. They even brought out a cake with candles which I hadn't noticed them carrying up. It was lovely and we had a brilliant night. The next day, the day of my actual birthday, was mostly spent recovering from the night before but we'd planned to go out for a few drinks at our local pub. Unbeknown to me, I had a surprise party waiting for me. The others, using their limited means, had made birthday decorations and got party food. They'd even bought me champagne and presents. It was one of the best nights of my life

• SusanneBeck's General Tip

by SusanneBeck Written Sep 7, 2002

Fondest memory: This is the same river a few weeks later. We had the most amazing storm! It was like nothing I'd seen before. It rained for 3 days and it wasn't just normal rain, it was so heavy. There was lots of lightning too. It was really exciting! It must have been obvious we were foreign. Everyone was inside, keeping away from the bad weather. Firemen were running around and there we were outside taking photos!!

• Public transport is not good...

by SusanneBeck Written Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: Public transport is not good in Corsica and really there's not much need for it in the towns as they're so small. I had to walk everywhere but it's not really a bad thing in such a beautiful place. This a picture of the river which flows alongside the University Of Corsica. I had to cross it everyday to go to the supermarket, bakery or launderette. It looked so beautiful with the sun shining onto it. This was the first photo I took after settling into my room in Corte.

Corsica Hotels

2 Reviews - 8 Photos
Sainte-Lucie de Porto-Vecchio Hotels
1 Hotel

Instant Answers: Corsica

Comments

Corsica Favorites

Reviews and photos of Corsica favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Corsica sightseeing.
Map of Corsica