A wonderful church and a must to see in town and a wonderful market around it. it was built around 1283 that was built on the place Saint-Jacques and the remains of the small chapel Sainte Catherine, then a first church destroyed in 1195, a new church dedicated to Santiago. It situated on the way to the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela by sea, was therefore equipped with vast proportions. The work was however completed until the end of the 16th century.
The façade originally symmetrical and built in the 14th century in the Gothic style radiating, is given a tour of the bells in the 15th century, adorned with flamboyant décor. The decor of the eardrum disappeared however, hammered during the wars of religion. At the pier, a statue of Santiago represented as a pilgrim was built in the 19th century. Inside, the ground floor of the nave and the choir, more austere were built in the 13th century and the upper parts of the nave and the transept crossing in the 14th century.In the 15th century, side chapels are arranged between the buttresses of the nave for corporations while the vaults of the choir and the decoration of the choir chapels are remade in the 16th century, in a style influenced by the Gothic flamboyant (vaults anti-SAG and tiercerons) and the early influences of the renaissance. So the walls of the oratory Chapel of the shipowner Ango is decorated with patterns inspired by Greco-Roman antiquity (medallions, garlands, candelabra, fantastic animals...).
This dual influence is also found in the Treasury Board wall decor, atop which is a window, that of the preacher. It monitored the progress of the mass and descending at the appropriate time to his sermon.This wall also has a document of great ethnographical interest, the so-called frieze of Indians. It probably made around 1530 represents the peoples of Africa, Asia and America encountered by browsers in their explorations
On the right, the second part of Friesland recalls certainly festivities at the mitouries, which took place in part in the city and in the Church, every year on August 15. This party created at the request of King Louis XI, commemorated the victory of the latter on the English, in Dieppe in 1443. Probably since its construction in the 13th century, the Church Saint-Jacques also received serious testimonies in stone, sailors, privateers or browsers to the discovery of new worlds, as evidenced by serious boat on the base of the wall.
It is difficult today to imagine all of the sculpted decoration adorning the building, the almost all of the statues have disappeared during the looting of the Church by the Huguenots in 1562.Finally, the Santiago Church was equipped with the great organ as early as the 17th century, and then a chorus at the end of the 19th century organ.
This middle-class residential area is near the Chateau, on top of the cliffs, west of the town-centre.
Thatched cottages aren't unique to Britain!