Étretat Restaurants

Moules à la Normande
    by Inguuna
    Restaurant l' Huitrière, Etretat.
    by breughel
    Moules à la Normande
    by Inguuna

Most Recent Restaurants in Étretat

• Inguuna's Profile Photo

La Salamandre: Best Moules à la Normande

by Inguuna Written Jun 2, 2014
    Moules �� la Normande

I've been in this restaurant many times, when I'm here I visit this place. And I always have taken Normandy mussels, why? They always have been delicious and maybe because we here in Latvia can't get so fresh seafood. Of course, this restaurant offers more of sea stuff not just mussels.
    So I suggest when taking mussels also to take a cider. Not to be surprised, the waiters will offer to drink cider from small bowls. It was for me something new. And take frites or fries.

The restaurant is located in ancient building, so look also at it.

Favorite Dish: Moules à la Normande :) - these are mussels prepared with shallot onions, cooked with cream, butter and cider, or somehow similar. But tastes really good.
    Fries and Cider.

• King_Golo's Profile Photo

Restaurant La Flotille: Normandy's Best Sausages

by King_Golo Written Aug 30, 2012

One of the great things of travelling is to discover the local cuisine, particularly in places like Normandy which are renowned as culinary hotspots. My guidebook mentions that the people in Normandy love to add one of (or all of) the following ingredients to their food: cream, butter, cider, calvados, apples... It couldn't sound more tasty, could it? However, there is more to Normandy food than just a rather caloric mix of ingredients. People here have kept cooking traditions alive, and in some of the restaurants you will find old-fashioned sounding, but incredibly tasty dishes. "La Flotille" is one of those places. I had one of the world's best sausages there, made à la ancienne and served with a few potatoes, stripes of pickled red and green pepper and a sauce consisting of crème fraiche and parsley. Their other dishes are yummy, too. My friends enjoyed the "Formule Galette et Crèpe" which was more than filling, but very good as well. Galettes are a bit like filled pancakes, while crèpes are like a thin pancake often served with something sweet (in my friends' case vanilla ice-cream and, well, cream). Add to that some local cider, and your Etretat experience will be superb!

Favorite Dish: saucisse à la ancienne

• breughel's Profile Photo

l' Huitrière: Seafood and fish.

by breughel Updated Jun 5, 2011

Restaurant l' Huitri��re, Etretat.

This restaurant was recommended by the owner of our hotel-restaurant in Sassetot and it was a very good choice both for its excellent location on the seafront promenade of Etretat and the quality of what we tasted. In addition the prices are reasonable.

The restaurant has the advantage of being located next to the parking (for approximately 150 cars , paying) Place du General de Gaulle and at the same time to get from the rotunda upper floor a magnificent views over the bay of Etretat and its cliffs. The ground floor with terrace is also enjoyable, but without the extended view. To get a table in the rotunda it is best to book.

Welcome and friendly service. It was low season in early May on a weekday.

As the name suggests the restaurant specializes in seafood and fish, while having some meat dishes.
    There are five kinds of seafood platters: 1 person at 20, 33 or 35 €, for 2 people at 54 or € 73.50.
    There are three menus: at 23 € with 3 services, 35 and 44 € with 4 services.

My wife took from the menu the fried skate wing with raspberry vinegar at 14 €. A large wing perfectly prepared. I took sea bream with mushrooms cooked in a foil parcel (papillote de dorade) to 19.50 € which lacked somewhat flavor.
    What was the most pleasant surprise was the tarte tatin for dessert. What a delight. By itself this tarte tatin was worth the trip to Etretat.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Le Repaire des Pirates: Great place to enjoy the view

by sue_stone Written Jul 6, 2006

ice cream is yum

On our brief visit to Etretat we were looking for somewhere to have afternoon tea. There were a few cafés/restaurants along the sea front, offering views of the cliffs.

We decided on Le Repaire des Pirates, as there was a table by the edge with the best view, and it wasn't too smoky.

Favorite Dish: In need of a caffeine fix, Alex and Chris ordered a coffee, which they said was ok. The three of us also wanted a sweet treat so we all ordered 2 scoops of ice cream. Flavours included praline, coffee, strawberry & chocolate. The coffee flavour was delicious.

• Renteboy's Profile Photo

La Salamandre: Fresh Seafood(?)

by Renteboy Written Mar 6, 2006

The resto by night

It is a very lovely restaurant, extremely nice interior! Looks like you have traveled into time to the Middle Ages with a big fireplace.

Favorite Dish: I got a dish with some salted fish (forgot the name, feel free to help me out, I thought it sounded as murau or mareu) ... I'm not a fish expert, but that was a bit to salty for me. But the dish came with a few potatoes in cream so I really got a full meal.
    My girlfriend on the other hand had "St Jacque Provencal" ... now that was worse! Half a dozen of these things with only some potato scraps fried (to hard) in oil … that is not the stuff you expected from “Provencal” so she was disappointed big time (plus the dish costed 2euros more)!
    I’m a good cook myself but I can tell you they didn’t impressed me at all!
    Ok, they had a formula where you can order starter and/or main dish and/or desert, so the price wasn’t that big (I payed 58euros for the 2 main dishes and 6 oysters each as starter) But you will choose a bottle of whine and one of the cheapest (not that excellent) was already 16euros so together with some appero’s we left the place not satisfied and a bill of 87euros.

The only reason I will rate this not Totally Unsatisfied is because it is a cosy place, and there will be (probably) some dish which will impress ... someone.

• Business Travel

Le Repaire des Pirates: On the beach

by aemilys Updated Dec 20, 2005

oh yes, very rare

An ordinary lunch made excellent. Sitting by the seaside with a view of the ocean made this ordinary lunch taste like a real feast. Like Le Corsaire, they have a heated terrace where you can hear the sound of the ocean and look out on the sea. I also had a very nice view of the Aval cliff.

The service was hit or miss, they seemed to get confused about what table to bring what to and I had to ask four times for water. Other people seemed to be having the same problems at the tables around me.

Favorite Dish: I had the fish soup. It was served with croutons, cheese and a sauce called rouille (rust, because of the color) this is the traditional way to eat fish soup and it was very nice. 9 euros.

Then I had a steak frites for 14 euros. The meat was a little tough, but it was cooked exactly as I ordered. Most of the other diners were having mussels and seemed to be enjoying them. I also saw a table next to me who ordered pizzas for 12 euros and they looked ok too. The place is kid friendly (there were lots of them) and I would recommend it for a lunch by the sea.

Le Corsaire: Dinner by the sea

by aemilys Updated Nov 21, 2005

oysters on the half shell

I arrived in Etretat on Friday night and after dropping off my bag in the hotel I went out in search of some seafood. Le Corsaire had a heated terrace right on the beach so I could hear the sounds of the waves as I ate. It made everything taste so much better.

The service was good and I had a nice meal.

Favorite Dish: I ordered a glass of Pommeau (a traditional apple liquer from Normandy) while I looked over the menu. I had never tried Pommeau before, it's got a sweet apple taste and is not too strong.

I started off with 9 n° 3 oysters and they were fresh and delicious. As usual they were served with bread and salted butter, lemon and vinaigrette sauce. Then I ordered the special of the day which was scallops. November is the start of the season. They were sweet and tender, the sauce was good, the tomatoes were really good and I liked the combination of the sweet scallops and the tangy tomato.

I ordered a small pitcher of the house white wine (Gros plant nantaise) and it was surprisingly good so this was altogether a very nice experience.

Prices: Pommeau 4 euros, wine 8.50 euros, oysters 12 euros, scallops 21 euros. Total 45,50 euros.

• aemilys's Profile Photo

L'huitriere: A top ten lunch experience

by aemilys Updated Nov 14, 2005

Scallop season starts in November

This goes down as one of my all time favorite lunch experiences ever. Good food, good service, excellent view and I did not feel uncomfortable eating alone.

I suggest making reservations beforehand. This is a popular place (the seafood is so fresh) and therefore if you want a table by the window on the upper level which is the best view, make sure to call ahead.

Favorite Dish: Seafood by the sea, what could be better!

I'll just describe my wonderful lunch:

After my visit to the Marie Antoinette oyster beds in the morning I suddenly had a desire for oysters so I ordered the panache which is a selection of 3 oysters of each of the five sizes for a total of 15 oysters in all. They were delicious! The extra special thing here is that not only do they offer the traditional wine vinager vinagrette, they also serve one made with cider vinagre (Normandy is known for its apples). I much preferred the cider vinager and I suggest that you try it.

After that the friendly waiter offered me a little between course treat. He brought me a small glass of Calvados with a tiny scoop of apple sorbet in it. Very nice indeed!

Then for the main course I had the special of the day: scallops with Pommeau sauce. Scallops in French are Saint Jacques so it was Saint Jacques Pommeau (FYI Pommeau is an apple liqueur made from Calvados and cider). The scallops were sweet and tender and just sublime. The carrot puree was wonderful and the tender boiled potatos were great to catch the rest of the sauce with.

The waiter suggested a Sancerre to go with this so I followed his advice and was very satisfied.

Prices: panache of oysters 20 euros, scallops 20 euros, half bottle of wine 14.10 euros for a total of 54,10.

Then I went back to my hotel and had a lovely nap....

• Women's Travel

• nhcram's Profile Photo

Brasserie des Halles: Great Hot cholcolate

by nhcram Written Aug 25, 2006

Great hot chocolate

Came in here to escape the rain! Had one of the best hot chocolates I have ever tasted! Didn’t eat in here so cannot comment on the food but it looked ok!

Favorite Dish: Hot cholcolate of course.

• Oana_bic's Profile Photo

Don't Miss The Fresh Seafood!

by Oana_bic Written Apr 16, 2004

Plenty of nice restaurants on the beach, thats such a great experience to have dinner watching the sunset..

Instant Answers: Étretat

Comments

Étretat Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Étretat restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Étretat sightseeing.