Étretat Shopping

by aemilys

Most Recent Shopping in Étretat

La Maison de Calvados: Calvados and souvenirs

by aemilys Updated Apr 4, 2011

Outside the shop, inside the covered market

This is a really friendly little shop in the covered market. The guy behind the counter was helpful and gave me some good suggestions on what to buy.

He also shared several interesting cocktail recipes and explained how to use the Pommeau in cooking. I didn't take notes so I'll have to ask him again when I go back.

What to buy: All sorts of regional specialties, most of these are made from apples (pomme in French) but the pear (poire) stuff is good too.

Calvados, Benedictine, l'Eau-de-Vie de Poiré and Liqueur de Calvados.

Pommeau (apple liqueur) and Poirineau (pear liqueur).

Cider and cider vinager.

Caramels made with salted butter, apple sugar, jellies and preserves from the region as well as souvenirs of Etretat.

What to pay: Depends on what you buy. I spent 30 something euros for one bottle of Pommeau, one bottle of Poirineau, two miniatures (these make excellent souvenirs) and a little souvenir medal of Etretat.

There are all different size bottles and they come in different prices.

Ferme la Valaine: Goat cheese and more

by aemilys Updated Apr 4, 2011

the sign along the Aval route

Well perhaps here is the proof that just one weekend in Etretat is not enough. I had planned to visit this farm where they raise goats and make cheese and other goat milk products; they even do chocolates. Unfortunately I didn't have the time and so I've put it first on my list for things to visit when I go back in May 2006.

They offer tours of the farm from Easter weekend through November 11 on Sundays and holidays at 11 am and during the months of July and August on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and bank holidays at 11 am. The tour lasts for one hour and costs 5 euros for an adult, 4 euros for age 8 to 17 and free for under 8.

What to buy: Goat cheese, traditional cider, ice cream and chocolates made from goat's milk.

• Renteboy's Profile Photo

Covered market place: Covered market place

by Renteboy Updated Mar 6, 2006

interior

There a really nice market place build in wood where they sell all sort of tourist gifts. As I went out of peak season, I can only assume they would sell more than what the 2 shops open had to offer.

It was build in 1926 by the architect Emile Gauge on the old market place.

What to buy: Gifts

• Hiking and Walking

• Renteboy's Profile Photo

small supermarkets

by Renteboy Written Mar 6, 2006

What to buy: I only found 2 small supermarkets in this town. Here you can by all kind of stuff to eat and drink for your hiking trips!

• Hiking and Walking

• aemilys's Profile Photo

The covered market: The covered market

by aemilys Updated Dec 20, 2005

Early in the morning

The covered market was built in 1926 and is located right in the center of town. It is a nice place to buy souvenirs and local products. You will notice the US flag and the memorial thanking both the US and the UK.

What to buy: Souvenirs from Normandy

What to pay: Depends on what you buy

Au George V - Geulin: The best apple tart I ever ate

by aemilys Updated Nov 17, 2005

The best apple tart - like Proust's madeleine...

This bakery was right across the street from my hotel and after seeing the long lines at lunch time I decided that I must try some of their products. I purposely did not have desert in the restaurants so I could eat some cakes. All I can say is wow, you must try the apple tart. It reminded me of my grandma's apple pie. It was just so exquisite. The crust was delicious and flakey and mere words cannot describe the apple filling. A tart to die for.

What to buy: Anything with apples or even just a baguette, it will all be delicious. The chocolate cake is called the Eclipse and it was sublime. The apple tart was a tarte aux pommes and I have never eaten anything so good.

Chocolats Hautot: Chocolates!!

by aemilys Updated Nov 14, 2005

Golf is popular here

Very delicious chocolates and cakes too!

This boutique has two addresses. One is in Fecamp a nearby town and lucky for me, one is in Etretat.

The woman behind the counter was charming and helpful. I've had some disappointing experiences in Paris where shop owners have refused to let me take pictures but she was more than happy to let me snap away. The displays are lovely as you will see.

I bought a bag of the special Benedictine Chocolates and they were very much up to my standards. You might want to take home some chocolate golf balls or any of the other delicious specialties available here.

Check out the cakes too. There was a really cute porcupine cake.

What to buy: Chocolates and a delicious looking rasberry cake. I have never seen a pink religious before (that is the name of the cake) usually they are chocolat or coffee.

I really, really, regret not buying that cake. Oh well, it's just another reason to go back again.

• Luxury Travel

Instant Answers: Étretat

Comments

Étretat Shopping

Reviews and photos of Étretat shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Étretat sightseeing.