Places to eat in Rouen

• FRENCH - LOCAL
    by RACCOON1

Most Viewed Restaurants in Rouen

• gordonilla's Profile Photo

Restaurant Le Palais Indien: The Friday night curry.....

by gordonilla Updated Feb 24, 2008

It was a rather damp Friday, and I had come into Rouen to eat. I was unsure what to have, having been in another restaurant where I sat for well over 10 minutes with no service. I then walked further along the street and then came to - Le Palais Indien. It was inviting and the smell of cooking was excellent. I can also say the food was just as excellent as it smelt.

The staff were friendly and I received a very alcoholic cocktail when I came into the restaurant. It did seem as if this was a bit of a Friday night promotion - they may not do this now, but well it happened on my visit.

Favorite Dish: chicken tikka, byriani and nan bread....the kulfi (or ice cream) was excellent.

• Voyageuse30's Profile Photo

Brasserie D'Arc: One of my favorites...

by Voyageuse30 Written Nov 19, 2006

Brasserie D'Arc has a great selection of beer, coffee, ice cream, and pub-style food, though I have not actually tried a meal here, myself. I always get a coffee or cappucino here. The walls are decorated with film stars of yesteryear and the seats are vibrant colors. The service has always been very friendly and excellent. There are two floors, and one side has a TV with the latest and greatest sports match on if you want to catch up on sports.

Brasserie D'Arc, Rouen Excellent cappucino from Brasserie D'Arc

Le Pain Quotidien: in Printemps

by sue_stone Written Jul 31, 2006

If you are shopping around the rue du Gros Horloge area or in the Printemps department store, then I have the café for you!

Located on the 1st (or 2nd) floor of Printemps is a lovely branch of Le Pain Quotidien, a delicious chain of cafés that I first discovered in Lille, who have recently also opened in London.

There is also a small café on the street level, overlooking the Cathedral, though it didn't appear to have all of the same treats on offer.

Favorite Dish: The one in Printemps is a great place for a mid-shop stop, with its display of tasty tarts and pastries tempting you in for a break.

I stopped in for a relaxing pot of tea and a very evil looking caramel tart...no surprise my clothes were too tight on our return from France!

am I bad?
    • Women's Travel

Brasserie Bar des Fleurs: lunch on the terrace

by sue_stone Written Jul 31, 2006

I had a half day to myself in Rouen while Alex & Chris were off playing golf. After some sight seeing and shopping it was lunch time and my tired feet needed a break.

I wandered the streets looking for somewhere nice to eat and came across Brasserie Bar des Fleurs. The brasserie is located in the pretty Place des Carmes, and it had a large shady terrace which was filled with happy lunchers eating interesting looking meals.

Finding a small table, I took a seat and waited for a very very long time for them to take my order. Oh well, the people watching was great and hopefully the food was worth the wait...if only the guy sitting next to me would stop smoking!

Favorite Dish: Well, the food was well worth the wait! I had the Salade Bergere, which was a salad with Parma ham, salad greens, tomatoes, honeyed walnuts and a couple of slices of bread with warmed goats cheese. It was absolutely delicious! Mmmmmm...goats cheese!

To drink I had a small carafe of white wine - well it seemed the right thing to do!

After lunch I went back to the hotel for a nap....must have been that wine ; )

my delicious salad Brasserie Bar des Fleurs Brasserie Bar des Fleurs

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Le Maupassant: relax in the main square

by sue_stone Written Jul 31, 2006

Our second night in Rouen found us back in the beautiful old square for another meal under the stars. This time we chose Le Maupassant...well, we didn't have much choice as most of the restaurants were fully booked! That said, Le Maupassant was one of our preferences anyway, so it was fine that we ended up there.

We found a table out on the terrace, perfect for the balmy summers evening. Service was friendly but incredibly slow. The poor waiter was trying to look after all of the outside tables which was way too big a job for one person.

We all decided to choose one of the set price menus, Alex and I went for one of the 3 course options and Chris went all out with the 4 course menu.

Favorite Dish: To start Chris had the fois gras with walnut salad, Alex had the salmon & crab cakes and I have the thinly sliced duck breast with parmesan cracker and other tasty bits and pieces.

Our main courses - for Alex it was the duck, I had the salmon with spinach, and Chris had fois gras stuffed spatchcock (I think) with mushrooms. The duck was the standout dish of the three. A nice bottle of Sancerre complimented our meals.

Chris was then served her cheese course (after a lengthy delay) and she declared them all to be excellent. Finally it was time for dessert - Alex & Chris both going for the chocolate fondant thing, with oozing chocolate inside, while I kept it simple with some scoops of excellent ice cream.

We left full, though a little deflated, as we had to return home to London the next day.

our starters main course dessert

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

La Toque d'Or: local cuisine on the main square

by sue_stone Written Jul 31, 2006

On our first night in Rouen we headed down to the lovely main square to check out the options for dinner, hoping that they weren't all tourist traps!

Several of the restaurants actually looked quite nice, and we decided on La Toque d'Or for our meal. It was quite busy, but we managed to get the last available table on the terrace for our meal - it was such a lovely evening it would have been wrong to sit inside.

Favorite Dish: To start, Chris had some Snails with garlic butter, and Alex and I shared some oysters. Main course was some tasty Lamb for me and melt in your mouth Duck for Alex & Chris. The red wine we chose wasn't too bad either.

Dessert tempted us - I had some creamy ice cream and Alex had the Tarte Normandie.

Service was quite friendly and it was enjoyable evening, sitting in the square watching the world go by.

snails and oysters lamb the duck dessert
    • Architecture

• arv1's Profile Photo

Le Web Cafe: Surf while you eat!

by arv1 Written Jul 19, 2005

The restaurants food was mainly burger and chips, standard food that is not really gastrinomically pleasing.

The ambience was lovely though!! I love the internet, so I was in there every two days checking up on home events, and every time I was there, we made a new friend!! The people were just so great, the people that ran the place and just the other customers too!!

It is located on a main road, quite close to my hotel on Rue de Quebec, therefore it was easily accessible.

The internet was quite cheap to access as well, compared to other places, as it was €1 for 15 mins.

Favorite Dish: I actually prefered the coffee to the food, as the food was standard, but if you are looking for a sandwhich, or a burger and chips, this is the place to go!

• Work Abroad
    • Beer Tasting

• arv1's Profile Photo

Pizza Pae: Nice little Italian Place

by arv1 Written Jul 19, 2005

I liked this place for two reasons.
    1 - There was a lot of vegetarian opions so I didn't have to eat just chips
    2 - I love pizza and thats what they had!!

We ordered a set menu for each person, which was a starter salad, an individual pizza (which was big!) and either a dessert or a salad, there were many other meal deals too, which I thought was good.

The ambience was quite loud as it was a fast food place, located in the centre of town. They were always busy, but not too busy that you would have to book in advance!!

Favorite Dish: I loved the vegetarian pizza, as well as the dessert. All my friends loved their meat pizzas too, especially the pizza that had 'merguez' on it. So i would recommend them both

• I've been in Rouen 5 years ago...

by Illusion84 Written Aug 25, 2002

I've been in Rouen 5 years ago but I remember a lot of things of this wonderful city. My favourite restaurant is near Rouen , on the road. During all my trip in France I've eaten only omelette because I don't like meat very much. The restaurant in Rouen are very confortable and the food is very good.

Favorite Dish: Omelette... omelette... omelette

• Pod's Profile Photo

BIG BEN PUB.: Great food in ROUEN.

by Pod Written Sep 23, 2003

Done out as an English pub but with food that will make you want to come back next time.The staff could even understand my yorkshire french accent.

Favorite Dish: The steak was so tasty and the salad so crunchy.

Big Ben pub.

Latest: Apr 12, 2014
Mercure Rouen Champ de Mars
Latest: Jul 5, 2014

Instant Answers: Rouen

Comments

Rouen Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Rouen locals.
Map of Rouen