Fontainebleau Favorites

the Throne room and me and son
    by gwened
    at the entrance me and son
  • end of galerie des assiettes 1840 and boys
    end of galerie des assiettes 1840 and...

Best Rated Favorites in Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau is special

by gwened Written Sep 27, 2013

back de la fontaine at lake Carpes to Pavillon

Favorite thing: When I came to know my girlfriend's parents, she took me here, so it was the first castle and place outside her town and Paris that I saw of France in 1990. Ever since, the castle has been associated with us, we support it, and volunteer plus participate in activities links to its upkeep.

the town is royal and imperial at the same time, with much of the history of France and Europe at least.
    Surrounded by a royal and wonderful forest the town is compact as many in France, link by 7 roads linking it with the rest of France. By far the biggest structure is the castle more so than in other famous castle cities, in Fontainebleau the castle is it.

From bd Magenta on the right of the castle facing it to the Rue Royale coming straight at it, to the rue Denécourt, all is gear towards getting here.

Fondest memory: walking along rue Royale towards the castle and visiting during the hunting event in honor of the hunters saint St Hubert.

Fontainebleau is awesome!

by gwened Updated Dec 23, 2013

side entrance at pl des armes

Favorite thing: This is a memorable castle for us. It was the first castle I visited ever in France as my wife is from the region. We are friends of the castle and participate in many volunteer events over the year. It is like home.

the salle de la belle cheminée is private the photo was taken in one of my functions in the castle, the room is not open to the general public.

Fondest memory: walking the gardens during the Fête de St Hubert

• Architecture

Fontainebleau and me

by gwened Written Jan 2, 2014
    on that first visit way back in 1990.

Favorite thing: well this like i said elsewhere was the first castle I visited in France because its near the birthplace what later became my wife, and she took me here to show off, lol!

its a sentimental favorite of course, and we are very much close to it, in many ways than just visiting it.
    Fontainebleau has its charms
    Château de Fontainebleau can be proud to have experienced eight centuries of continuous sovereign presence. Capetians, Valois, Bourbons, Bonaparte and Orleans, each Member of the dynasties who reigned on France succeeded in its walls. Kings and Queens, emperors and empresses are attached to beautify the Castle built around the original moat.

Fondest memory: walk the castle and grounds

• Museum Visits

Fontainebleau is gardens

by gwened Written Apr 24, 2014
    lake past parterre towards back of Fontainebleau

Favorite thing: awesome gardens in all, back and sides, great lawn or parterre behind, right in the city ,just gorgeous and found more pictures from my vault.

The views from the back to the castle are stunning, and so well cut, you can sleep on them. In summers horse carriages gives you rides around them.

enjoy it with the family

Fondest memory: walking its gardens in the first castle visited ever in France as my wife is from nearby.

• Museum Visits

Always Fontainebleau

by gwened Written Jun 15, 2014
    the gardens at the fountain of Diane the Hunter

Favorite thing: This is my nostalgic favorite, way back in 1990 was the first property visited with my then girlfriend , today wife. It is her region and she wanted to show me around, it was a great choice. Maybe the castle help falling in love ::)

it has been a love affair ever since, we have volunteered to do work and supported it as friends of the castle. The scènes here are from my vault trying to show you my belle France,and Fontainebleau is on the top of the list. Its France at it 's best.

The wonderful fountain of Diane Chasseresse on the old jardin de la Reine (queen's gardens) the statue was raise from the time of Henri IV, the current one is a replacement of that original of 1684 by the one in bronze today from 1814. It is on the city side of the castle from where you can enter without coming to the castle main entrance ; on the north there is a wall, bordered by the Galerie des Cerfs to the east, Petits Appartement on the South, and the chapelle de la Trinité and jeu de Paume on the west;

The Chapelle de la Trinité is the old church of the monks of Mathurins place here by king Louis IX (Saint Louis) . It is attached it to the castle Under François Ier. Rebuilt under the reign of Henri II and gets is cupola dome Under Henri IV. Its exquisite decoration is of the Second Empire of the school of Fontainebleau that is the precursor of the baroque style.

The Bibliothéque of the castle or Library is the ancestor of the national Library of France . it was rearranged in 1808, the decoration dates from 1786. At the origin it had 4 500 books about history, geography and the sciences.

Avenue de Maintenon along the lake and coming from back in the gardens towards the castle, carriage horses in summer provide rides, but better walk it ,magnificent.

And the magnificent entrance to the glorious Galerie François I. A master work of art of the Renaissance in France. The gallery of François I is from après 1528 a model for many générations of artists.The gallery is before the other famous one at the Louvre,galerie d’Apollon of 1661 and the galerie des Glaces at Versailles of 1678.

Fondest memory: anything there is marvelous, Inside and out, the gardens to walk on are very romantic and the interior is impressive, see my other tips here.

• Architecture

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

The State Apartments

by Krystynn Written Dec 21, 2003

Favorite thing: That's me... resting on the manicured garden on the grounds of the Chateau de Fontainebleau. Hey, it can be a heavenly experience too! :-)

Instant Answers: Fontainebleau

Comments

Fontainebleau Favorites

Reviews and photos of Fontainebleau favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Fontainebleau sightseeing.

View all Fontainebleau hotels