Air Travel, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

Relaxing pre-flight
    by cjg1
  • My wife and I relaxing pre-flight (January 2011)
    My wife and I relaxing pre-flight...
    Fanta, snacks, Perrier and wine
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

American Airlines Admirals Club

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 24, 2013

Favorite thing: The Admiral's Club here in Paris is quite nice. I will say that I don't usually have the need for the club as I usually arrive at the airport with little time to enjoy it, but I have visited on a few occassions.

The club is a nice size with the usual complimentary house wine, beer and spirits, coffee, tea and soft drinks, light snacks, Wi-Fi, PCs with Internet access and of course the heavenly AAngels who can assist you with any travel issue or question.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Admiral's Club CDG

by cjg1 Updated Jan 18, 2011

Liz and I at the CDG Admiral's Club (1/2011)

Favorite thing: The Admiral's Club at CDG was a nice experience pre-flight. The club is very bright and well light with plenty of space to sit and relax. My wife and I spent some time here before boarding a flight back to JFK.

The lounge had a nice selection of drinks, snacks and food items. My wife enjoyed some Sauvignon Blanc along with some Perrier with lemon. I enjoyed some Fanta which is so much better her than what is produced in the states..it's less sweet flavor with more of a citrus taste. I enjoyed a few of their tuna triangle sandwiches which were the size of a tea sandwich along with some pretzels and chips.

It was nice to relax and unwind before our long flight home.

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Which terminal for CDG, Paris flights ?

by pfsmalo Written Sep 9, 2010

Favorite thing: For people looking to know which terminal their flight arrives at or leaves from at CDG, Paris, the site below lists the terminals for all airlines using the airport.

For the rest of Europe airports use:

There is also a toolbar on the left that helps you locate the rest of the world airports.

• parismumsie's Profile Photo

Air France beats American airlines anyday

by parismumsie Updated Jan 8, 2008

The only one comfortable on our flights!

Favorite thing: OK, I had never flown to Europe so I guess I had some hairbrained idea that the seats would have leg room ! I am only 5'2" tall and could not even cross my legs. I could have cut the processed chicken for the passenger next to me and the person next to him. To top it off, you had to pay for your wine! Coming home we flew Air France. I won't say we had
    better seating arrangements, but at least the wine was free and the food surprisingly good, for an airline. There was also a tiny screen, so we could at least watch our own movies. All in all, I'll fly Air France again, if I am lucky enough to get the chance.

Fondest memory: In the airport I loved the chimes before the lady made an announcement
    in such a lovely voice. What a difference from US airports - loud and obnoxious!

• Norali's Profile Photo

Excitement !

by Norali Updated Aug 24, 2007

Only French & Malagasy companies to fly Paris-Tana

Favorite thing: As days went by and departure time got close, I got really excited. OK, I said I didn't have time to dream of Paris but I sure got excited...

Excited because I was going to travel abroad. For many Malagasy, the only way to travel abroad was the plane. It is an island, remember. Plus, we would have visited neighbouring islands (La Reunion, Maurice, Comores) and would have used boats and ferries.. but that was the time we considered Europe as more important. And for historical reasons, France use to rank high in Malagasy preference. Well, if not preference, one should at least think of the language problem. Madagascar used to be a French colony so, by large, French country, French language & French culture are the first foreign influences Malagasy had been used to.

Excited because I was going to have a huge flight. It was not my first flight, but the first abroad, the first longest. At that time, a Tana-Paris flight lasted 14 hours (stopover included). Now, it is close to 10 hours.

Fondest memory: For my first flight being to a Malagasy coastal city in 1977 when I was 4 then, I don't have any memory of it. So, this Tana-Paris flight was to be considered as the first. Still have my first passport with me (not of use anymore, of course). It was with a 747 Boeing.

My memory of the flight? I discovered then the big plane, the 747 (since then, Airmad had upgraded to 767). All internal flights were with 737 or Twin-Otter planes or HS (?). Only external ones were with 747. Notice however that to fly to Madagascar, Air Madagascar is "The Natural Choice" ;-)

That was also the first time I went through the "gate", the checking posts. I've seen so many times my parents passing through the gate & the checking points at the Ivato airport... and then, it was my turn. Wow!

Then, I remembered the choice of music stations on board. That may sound silly but I'd like you to remember your first flight... and you'd discover small but meaningful aspects, details. Also, 1984 was a bad year for Madagascar. We just underwent a big economic crisis... People queued up for rice, sugar, soap, oil... Oil was dangerous and not suitable for consumption. Many people died for having cooked with it. Prices of staple food (rice) rocketed so that even middle-class people ate maize corn at noon lunch... uuuh!

Since flights were (are) not cheap at all, I knew I was lucky to have experienced Paris at this young age. With all of that in mind, I was impressed and excited at same time.

• School Holidays

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Airline Amenities

by BeatChick Updated Mar 11, 2006

Delta interior

Favorite thing: Before my 2nd trip to Paris I didn't know that Delta/Air France had L'Occitane products such as their signature lavendar handsoap & lotion in the W/C!! Mmmm, that wonderful scent made me feel as if I were in France already.

I know it seems shallow but if you're struggling with which airline to go with perhaps this may be an inducement to go Delta/Air France. ;)

Photo: Feb 2006

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Sleep Aids

by BeatChick Updated Aug 13, 2005

H��tel Degr��s de Notre Dame - bed

Favorite thing: For visitors traveling just a few hours on a plane, jetlag is relatively minor so sleep aids are virtually unnecessary. However, for people traveling from afar such as from Japan, Australia or the U.S. sleep aids are necessary to help get one past the first few days of dealing with jetlag. Following are a few suggestions with some pros & cons listed, ones that I've personally tried.

Tylenol or Excedrin PM
    Tylenol PM & Excedrin PM are relatively good over-the-counter sleep medications. They don't require prescriptions & the recommended dosage is listed on the package, plus it's relatively inexpensive. However, some find that it produces a hangover effect the next day leaving one to feel very sleepy. I recommend testing this one out before your trip.

Fondest memory: Ambien
    Yes, I've had great jetlag relief with the help of Ambien! Ambien is a hypnotic & should only be used for a few days; after that there is a danger of addiction. Also, after a few days of use you may find yourself prone to nightmares & to daytime hallucinations. However, with just a few days use these effects are virtually void (which is why I find it to be very effective during a trip - take it during the flights there & back - use for the 1st 3 days while on vacation & use for 2 days upon return). The benefits to Ambien is that it is not a narcotic-type drug like a barbiturate so you don't get the hangover effects & sleepy feelings the next day as you would barbiturates. You'll also find yourself falling asleep within 20 minutes with no interruptions of sleep during the night. Most people experience a good night's sleep & wake up feeling fully rested & awake. Also, when using Ambien you must be absolutely certain that you'll be sleeping for at least 5 hours otherwise you may experience those hallucinatory effects. Works wonders for me but doesn't work well with everyone. Check it out with your doctor. A very expensive medication & requires a prescription.

Melatonin
    What makes it so great is that it's a natural component produced by & already in the body; melatonin is responsible for regulation of biorhythms (such as sleep patterns) which is what makes it so perfect for jetlag. It also comes in very handy for people who work changing shifts such as midnights then days, etc.. It gets you back into sync! The only downside to Melatonin is that you may have to adjust the dosage to find out the correct dosage to work for you, so it's always a good idea to test this out the week before you go on your trip. As with anything else, consult your doctor.

Photo: March 2001

• Singles
    • Women's Travel
    • Business Travel

• Flying into Paris is a nightmare!

by Maltron Written Aug 2, 2005

Favorite thing: If possible try to find a train travelling to Paris rather than flying.

Having travelled to Paris from several European cities on various modes of transport I can say without a doubt trains are the most conveniant and after adding the hidden charges of plane travel (especially from the UK), trains often work out cheaper!

The main advantage though is that trains (e.g. the Eurostar and SNCF) take you right into the centre of Paris where the metro, RER or taxis can get you to your hotel in minutes.

After flying however I have often spent many frustrating hours trying to travel with luggage the many miles into the centre of Paris to find my hotel.

• Singles

• The airport De Gaulle

by chezina Written Mar 29, 2005
    de gaulle airport

Favorite thing: Is just frustrating the system. When you arrive there is easier getting a personal car for your luggage than getting in the trolley when going to another terminal. Is just better to put your bags in one of those cars and do it yourself and walk faster believe me.

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo

Don't Fly Air France

by pigletsmom Updated Feb 26, 2004

Favorite thing: I flew with them, and let's say never again. First off the Stewardesses are cold, aloof and did not want to be of service to me. Airfrance over booked my flight coming home, and I had to stay overnight in Paris in a crappy business hotel without my luggage. They did give me shampoo, and a toothbrush. I only flew with Airfrance so I could leave on Saturday, as it turned out, I did not leave until Sunday. I could have gotten a cheaper flght elsewhere if I had known. On the flight back they showed a french movie about horrible and stupid Americans. The french tourists in the movie were visiting America, and were the poor unfortunate victims of the mean Americans. I'm not kidding! This horrible insulting piece of trash unfortunately had subtitles. I nicknamed Air France, Air F@#$%^ You.

Fondest memory: I don't have a fond memory of Air France.

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Why Air France coach??

by Imbi Written Feb 25, 2003

Favorite thing: Can any one tell me why people give advice to take Air France coach to get to city ??? its expensive and not really convenient for those people who arrive at Terminal 3. don’t take this coach as its expensive unless you arrive at Terminal 2 and you have euros to spend on silly things.

• Eco-Tourism