Champs-Elysées, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

• Champs-Elysées
    by draguza
  • WWII Plaquette - Avenue des Champs-Élysées - Paris
    WWII Plaquette - Avenue des...
    by pieter_jan_v
    Avenue des Champs-Élysées - Paris
    by pieter_jan_v
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Champs-Élysées

by pieter_jan_v Written Oct 23, 2011
    Avenue des Champs-��lys��es - Paris

Favorite thing: The Champs-Élysées is one of Paris best-known avenues.

It's 1910 meters long and runs from the Obelix to the Arc de Triomphe.

In 1616 Marie de Medici decided to extend of the Tuileries Gardens to the West with an avenue. It took till 1864 till the Avenue des Champs-Élysées growed to about its present length.

The street runs in between the the Grand Palais and the Élysée Palace.

Many high class stores like Adidas, Benetton, the Disney Store, Nike, Zara, Cartier, Bel Air Fashion, Toyota, Gap, Sephora, Louis Vuitton, Hugo Boss, Lancel, Guerlain, Lacoste, H&M and Abercrombie & Fitch are located along the avenue and so are many cinema's.

Also the avenue is used as the finish location for de Tour de France cycling race and the anual parade on Bastille Day.

• Photography

• davequ's Profile Photo

Mimi and her puppy at Fouquets

by davequ Updated Dec 18, 2008

Mimi & the humble Schuider

Favorite thing:
    ♫♫ Rich relations give
    Crust of bread and such ...
    You can help yourself
    But don't take too much

Mama may have
    and Papa may have...
    but God bless the child that's got his own
    That's got his own ♫♫

Songwriter: A. Herzog Jr / Billie Holiday

Fondest memory: Champs Elysees 09/'03
    for romantics only

One night in '03 I was nursing a typically overpriced 7-Euro espresso on a sidewalk terrace outside Fouquet's when along came a lady:
    barefoot / back bent; shuffling slowly through the passersby with a hand outstretched, silently begging for change.

What struck me was that the little dog following her on the leash moved with identical hangdog, slow body language. (see photo)

Fouquet's has tight security, but as long as she didn't bother
    their customers, they allowed her to beg people walking by for money.
    I took a few photos of her, which she allowed me to do, but her expression and posture changed, saying essentially,

"Nothing is free, tourist."

At first I only gave her a small amount.
    She inspected the coin, stared at me, and again without a word, only with gesture, let me know it was not enough.
    I went over to her and after giving her a larger amount, she agreed to talk with me.

Her name is Mimi, and her dog's name is Schuider (sounds like shwee-dare).

I asked if I could pet her sad little dog: Mimi gave me reserved permission.
    As I knelt down to pet him, Schuider came alive:
    his posture changed to friendly enthusiasm: tail wagging, jumping up on me with kisses galore.

Then with a look, Mimi quickly let me know recess was over: Schuider instantly sagged back into his previous sad & fearful posture.

Later after she had moved on, I asked one of the Fouquet's security men about her.
    He said she is there every evening, rain or shine.
    I asked if she was authentique, or just a hustler.

He told me she makes just enough money from begging to provide food and a small flat for her and her dog.

I shook my head, saying that is not what I meant.

Bluntly I asked him: " is Mimi for real, or is she just a pain in the ass?"
    He thought for a moment, then smiled and said it all in one brief sentence:

"This is her job ."

• Travel with Pets

• momdawg's Profile Photo

Beautiful Paris

by momdawg Written Aug 12, 2007

Favorite thing: My favorite thing about Paris was the beauty and history. We took a bus tour around the city and were reminded about the wars that raged in this beautiful country and how it has survived. We were told that the general in Paris was told to destroy the Louvre; fortunately, he did not. The Louvre is an unbelievable piece of architecture and history. The eiffel tower is more beautiful than I ever imagined. It had just rained, and the tower was in stark contrast to the dark clouds. Incredible!!

Fondest memory: The Louvre. The people. The history. The architecture. The colors. Everything about Paris was incredibly beautiful, even the old "delapitated" buildings. I only spent three days there, and would definitely go back and spend more time.

• Trains
    • Singles
    • Museum Visits

• Lido Paris is not a safe place!

by cuscret Written Jan 3, 2007

Favorite thing: We were at Lido on new year`s eve 2007.The show was great, but the night was wasted because our camera with all the pictures of honeymoon was stolen while we were dancing.
    It is not the value of the camera but the value of the pictures that was so important for us.
    The personnel staff was not helpful,they were only interested to get rid of our complaints.The lido of Paris is not a safe place.Keep your money with you and don`t leave items on your tables.

Theme: Other
    Dress Code: And they have their own "taxi system" ! To make 1 km 25 euros per person ! We asked for taxi and they sent us to their own system,this is not fair.We are completeley unsatisfied with Lido personnel and managers for their incompetence and their extremely low customer satisfaction.

• lolitajane's Profile Photo

Avenue des Champs Elysees

by lolitajane Updated Aug 19, 2006

Hernan & I, The Arc at the Back

Fondest memory: Oh! Champs Elysees, I felt I was dreaming. I still remember my high school French teacher reading the book and taking us lessons about "Places in Paris" --I always thought "Will I ever see it"? Well, I did. What can I say about Champs Elysees...There's Fashion, Beauty, Different Cultures, Trendy Shops, Cafes, Restaurants, Parks, Memorials, Monuments, Fonts, The Arc du Triomphe, that's all you can see while walking along that wooded long street...And that means a lot, doesn't it?

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo

The Champs Elysees...

by Laura_Mexico Updated Jun 14, 2006

Les Champs Elysees in the spring

Favorite thing: The beautiful Champs Elysees Avenue (with the Arc de Triomphe far ahead).... taken from the middle of it! :-) Hey, you gotta admit I risked my life for you to have this great pic! LOL

Fondest memory: I loved to walk from Place de la Concorde all the way to the Arc de Triomphe along the Champs Elysees... it's quiet, the sidewalk is really wide so there's plenty of space to walk peacefully, the views are really nice, and you start finding shops as you approach the Arc and the busier area of the avenue. It's a long walk, mind you, but I really enjoyed it and then I got to make some great pics and do some shopping when I finally arrived to where the action is ;)

• Architecture

• severin821's Profile Photo

Romance..food...romance...food..did mention food?

by severin821 Written Nov 5, 2005
    Crepes!!

Favorite thing: I love this fine city! Make sure you stop at the street side Panini / Crepe stand! The Panini are deeeelious *they should make these beautiful yummy grilled sandwiches more available in the states. The Crepes are absolutely wonderful! Strawberries, bananas with Nutella chocolate is the ONE!

Fondest memory: Time seems to stand still...you're drinking in the moment. People watching, kids laughing, lovers holding hands.....

• Arial_27's Profile Photo

Dress code

by Arial_27 Updated Jun 6, 2005

Favorite thing: You'll see that most Parisian women are usually very dressed up by American standards (bracelets, necklaces, scarfs, miniskirts and other accessories) whether they're just going to work or our for a stroll.
    You may want to dress up more in Paris than in other places, but its certaintly not a requirement. I personally dont see a need for it (I mean, if women should have to get all dressed up, so should men right?) I say tat even though running shoes will (apparently) give it away that you're a tourist, theres no harm in that because you'll blend in with the thousands of other tourists.

• Women's Travel

• Lilasel's Profile Photo

Les Champs-Elysées

by Lilasel Written Jan 2, 2005

The promenade by car in Champs-Elys��es

Favorite thing: "Aux Champs-Elysées, aux Champs-Elysées
    Au soleil, sous la pluie, à midi ou à minuit
    Il y a tout ce que vous voulez aux Champs-Elysées" (Joe Dassin)

"In Champs-Elysées, in Champs-Elysées
    Under the sun, in the rain, at midday or at midnight
    There is all that you want in Champs-Elysées"

• Lilasel's Profile Photo

What happens in Champs-Elysees

by Lilasel Updated Nov 6, 2004

Favorite thing: From May 17 2003 through June 15 2003, the Champs Elysees was transformed into a rail exhibit honoring 150 years of train travel in France.
    The history of French rail on the one side of the avenue and the future of train travel on the other side. (Trains ranging from 1829 steam locomotive to the 2005 "Tram Train Avanto")

• jrs1234's Profile Photo

Wander up the Champs Elysee...

by jrs1234 Updated Sep 20, 2004

Champs-Elysee, Paris

Favorite thing: Wander up the Champs Elysee, and if you want a really great view, go to the top of the Arc du Triomphe - the queue is much shorter than the one for the Eiffel Tower, and the views are excellent.

You'll find quite a few shops on the street, including a Virgin Megastore and a Disney shop, and several restaurants there as well. There's also a pretty unusual Mercedes car dealer - in the space of a large shop unit - where they seem happy enough to let the passing public (for example me) in for a quick look at their expensive cars.

• hevbell's Profile Photo

GOOD MEMORIES

by hevbell Updated Nov 7, 2003

Avenue des Champs Elysees from the Arc de Triomphe

Fondest memory: My fondest memory from my first trip is of the night that we arrived at our hostel (HI hostel Cites de Sciences) and met up with a Canadian girl and two American guys and we all went to listen to one of the guys play bongos in the park (the Cites de Sciences as we later found out) with a bunch of locals. Oh and running out of a department store to get away from some creepy guy from Martinique who wanted to be our 'Paris boyfriends' :)

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo

Fabulous Walks

by mrclay2000 Written Oct 22, 2003

Champs-Elysees near Arc de Triomphe

Favorite thing: The Champs-Elysees is Paris' grandest avenue, the French counterpart to Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Today the visitor will find expensive shops side-by-side with inexpensive dining (including a McDonald's), but for most it is strictly window shopping for most of the stretch between the Arc de Triomphe and the Place de la Concorde. Visitor information is available in many languages from the tourism office here, which vends museum and subway tickets also.

• Luxury Travel

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Lovely Walk Champs-Elysées

by Imbi Written Jan 9, 2003

Favorite thing: If you have time and energy then enjoy this walk. Champs-Elysées from the Arc de Triomphe to the Place de la Concorde and take a look in the shops and restaurants along the way.The Place de la Concord is one of the world's largest and most beautiful squares. During the Revolution, around 2800 people were beheaded by the guillotine located here. The obelisk in the middle of the square is from the 13th century B.C. and came a temple at Thebes (near the present town of Luxor).

• OrlandoBR's Profile Photo

Champs-Élysées

by OrlandoBR Updated Dec 10, 2002

Favorite thing: The most famous avenue in the world stretches from Place de la Concorde to the Arc du Triomphe. There are cafés, restaurants, movie-theathers, French cabarets and all kinds of good shops. Virgin, FNAC, a huge Sephora and the very useful Office de Tourisme de Paris are there. And lots, lots of tourists...

Instant Answers: Paris