Eiffel Tower, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

see it! ave Rapp shot
    afar the Dome of Invalides
    another shot of the lady Tour Eiffel
  • fishandchips's Profile Photo

Night Travel

by fishandchips Updated Jan 23, 2007

The Eiffel Tower at night

Favorite thing: Paris is a nice place to wander about at night with the city having its monuments lit up to the best effect. The saying "all cities look the same at night" is true of paris in the main however there are a few exceptions. An example is the Eiffel Tower that gets lit up every hour after dark for 10 minutes or so and looks great.

A very exciting place to be when this happens is the lookout at Troccadero or from a boat on the Seine as I am in the photo in 1999 (220 days before Y2K).

• Cruise

• spgood301's Profile Photo

Y'know, you're not supposed to do this!

by spgood301 Written Dec 20, 2006

Eiffel Tower - all these people wuz here!

Favorite thing: Yeah, graffiti on the Eiffel Tower. Something you really shouldn't do, but folks do anyway, on the third level. I guess it's a way of leaving your mark.

And no, there's nothing there saying "Pooch was here!". =)

Fondest memory: Now, where's that girl's phone number again? I know I wrote it down when I was up there! =)

• ExGuyParis's Profile Photo

One of my favorite views (and now, fish)

by ExGuyParis Updated May 31, 2006

Golden Glories of Paris

Favorite thing: You could spend weeks in Paris just appreciating different views of the big metal tower you see in the background. This view is from the Palais de Chaillot at Trocadéro.

To discover this view, take the Métro to Trocadéro and Walk to the Palais de Chaillot. As you enter the center opening of the Palais, between the two separate curved wings, this view will greet you.

And now, after 21 years, L'aquarium du Trocadéro has reopened; if seeing sea life strikes your fancy, go down the stairs to the left of the Palais de Chaillot (With the word "Cineaqua"). Be prepared to fork over a hefty pile of money-- 19 € per person, and once all the big fish arrive in a few weeks, 25 € per person! For that, you get to hang out with 15,000 fish and watch some movies.

In the 60's, l'aquarium du Trocadéro was billed as the largest in the world. Now it is billed as the most expensive!

• Museum Visits

• dejavu2gb's Profile Photo

Moving on up!

by dejavu2gb Updated Nov 9, 2005

Favorite thing: If you fancy taking a trip up this famous landmark of Paris, and you get there and the queue is 200m long, consider walking up the stairs, as its cheaper and you appreciate the view that much more when you get to the top. Although you can only climp to the 2nd level and not all the way to the top, the view is still gorgeous, and well worth the climb!

Fondest memory: Seeing the Eiffel Tower for the first time was quite emotional as I have always seen it on television as a small kid, and then to be standing next to it was just the best thing ever.
    Paris is just stunningly beautiful, with lots to see and do, brush up on your french before you go though, because not everyone speaks English.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Tour Eiffel at night (2003)

by Mikebond Written Nov 6, 2005

Tour Eiffel with intermittent illumination

Favorite thing: The Tour Eiffel gets a special intermittent illumination at regular intervals at night (I think it is at the minute 15 of every hour). During the rest of the night it is also illuminated, but with fix lights, as you see in the last picture of this tip. We took these photos from the top of the Tour Maine-Montparnasse. I recomment you'd climb it, too, in order to enjoy such a beautiful view!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Tour Eiffel in 2000

by Mikebond Written Nov 6, 2005

the tower with

Fondest memory: The French love to celebrate important events or circumstances with lights. After all, isn't France the country of Enlightenment?
    So, they put lights on the Tour Eiffel in 2000 to welcome the year that many considered the beginning of the new millennium (which is actually 2001 because there wasn't any year 0, but only 1 BC and 1 AD).
    You see also a photo of the basis of the tower with the Pont d'Iéna in the foreground and the Tour Maine-Montparnasse in the background.

• grishaV1's Profile Photo

The Eiffel Tower

by grishaV1 Updated May 28, 2005

Favorite thing: For a general information page about visiting Paris, see this website which is available in a few languages Paris Visitor Info. Its a good website not only about visiting but provides news about local events and government, how to apply for studying in the capital city. Also lots of links onto other websites having more individual detail.

But do you ever wonder, if you have a limited amount of time to visit, just what is the best things to see? Well here's a website interesting, they claim they will tell you just those things Paris Digest, its completely biased but sometimes that's a good thing I'm told.

From the pic....everyone knows Paris is known for the Eiffel Tower, but other cities have similar replicas too, most notably in Tokyo that I have seen.

• Adventure Travel

• ChicBaby's Profile Photo

Toilets at Altitude 95

by ChicBaby Written Feb 24, 2005

Looking down from the Altitude 95 level

Favorite thing: We were a bit disappointed by the toilets at Altitude 95. They were very dark, the paint color and lighting was dim, dirty and it smelled like urine. One of the toilets in the women’s room could not flush and the floor and counter by the sink was wet. I suppose no one was attending to the bathroom that day, but I was hoping for at least a clean floor or dry counter to change a diaper on my son.

• Women's Travel

• surferob's Profile Photo

Best view of the Tower

by surferob Updated Nov 21, 2004
    Good times......

Favorite thing: My favorite spot from which to view the Eiffel Tower is across the river near the Trocadero. One way to get there is from the Arc de Triomphe. Look at a map and see which one of the streets of the "Etoile" lead towards the tower - I think it's Avenue Kleber - and just head in that direction. There is also a metro stop nearby. There is a big overlook with great views of the Trocadero Gardens, the Siene and of course the Eiffel Tower. Go at night for best views. Better yet, go near the top of the hour. That's when they really light it up with the beautiful, flickering white lights.

Click on the picture. We came across this friendly group of Americans who were also enjoying this slightly off-the-beaten-path spot. They asked my girlfriend to take a picture, and I took a picture of her doing it. It came out pretty cool. In fact I think they liked this shot more than the picture we took with their camera, and even asked if I would email it to them when I got home.

• jrs1234's Profile Photo

The No. 1 Paris Icon - the Eiffel Tower

by jrs1234 Updated Sep 6, 2004

Eiffel Tower, Paris

Favorite thing: I've never actually climbed it - but I just love looking at it close up. While you can see it from all over central Paris, it's much more spectacular close up. Built in 1889, it attracts hordes of tourists, so expect long queues. Charges vary depending on how far you go up and whether you take the stairs or the lift. In summer it's open from 9am until midnight, with slightly shorter hours the rest of the year.

Try and get to see it after dark as well as in the day - there's a relatively new lighting system in now - and for 10 minutes every hour of darkness this is switched to make the tower "glitter" and it's very pretty!

by Mudfish Written Jul 14, 2004

Favorite thing: As most travelers do, I went to the Effiel Tower with friends. Being young and impatient, we decided to skip the long lift line, and opt for the stairs up the tower. But once you reach the 2nd story, you have to purchase an additional ticket to get to the top via the lift. By chance, on the day we visited, the ticket counter on the second story was out of service. So after a scuffle with the french workers, we were escorted down, and never made it to the top. So skip the stairs. Take the lift, even though i know this is a no brainer to most.

Fondest memory: My favorite memory of Paris is from a small cafe that me and a friends stumbled upon around lunch time. An old couple worked behind the counter and served us simple food and drinks. Speaking no french, I pulled out an English/French dictionary to try and thank the old couple to spoke almost no english. It took us nearly 30 mins, but the four of us (two americans and the two french), we both learned a little of the others language. Mostly, we all just laughed. Such a simple moment I will never forget.

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

Of course, you must.....

by vivalasteph Written Apr 16, 2004

base of the Tower

Favorite thing: I would be repeating myself, and the advice of millions, to say that the Eiffel Tower is a must. It is. Go. Stand in line for a ticket. Stand in line for the lift. Stand in line again for the smaller lift. Elbow your way to get a good spot along the railing. It is completely worth it.

On the first level are shops and cafes. On the second level is the well-known Jules Verne restaurant.

There is a post office where you can purchase stamps and envelopes postmarked "Tour Eiffel". Buy a postcard and send someone a special treat.

Fondest memory: As we approached the Tower, it was chilly and the sun was shining. By the first level it had started to drizzle. By the time we reached the second level it was really raining.

So up the final lift we go, out on the deck and up the last few stairs to the open-air deck and voila! A blizzard! The snow was circling around the top of the Tower, blurring everything below. All of us up there were laughing so hard! Snow at the top of the tower in March!

By the time we returned to the first level, it had gotten dark and the rain stopped. As we exited the tower on the ground, we looked back up and the lights came on!

We spent about 2 hours at the Tower, but the pictures suggest we were there in 3 different seasons! Wonderful memory!

• doreenellen's Profile Photo

Eiffel Tower

by doreenellen Updated Mar 21, 2004

seine

Favorite thing: Eiffel Tower
    3 Stages to get to the top
    The first 2 stages you can walk up the steps
    We went right up to the top by lift, stopping at the half way stage.
    Amazing Sight, never to be forgotten
    But get there early to avoid the crowds

There are 47 bridges - and you see a few from that height

Fondest memory: Many but the tower is one of the top memories for me, to see across the city.

Instant Answers: Paris