Invalides, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

Invalides - Armour of a knight.
    by breughel
    Invalides - Tank Renault 1918.
    by breughel
    Paris - France
    by solopes
  • solopes's Profile Photo

Bad plan

by solopes Updated Jan 11, 2013

Paris - France

Favorite thing: The ticket to Invalides do include the visit of the military museum. The women and Tito were not interested, and I accepted to skip it.

Later on, I felt deeply sorry - my grand uncle's greatest works were done in France, capturing some scenes of WW1. Maybe the museum displays anything from him, that I don't know.

If you go to the museum search for "Sousa Lopes" paintings. If you find anything e-mail me, and I'll offer you a candy.

• breughel's Profile Photo

LES INVALIDES - THE BEST EU MILITARY MUSEUM.

by breughel Updated Aug 2, 2011

Invalides - Tank Renault 1918.

Favorite thing: Now that the Département Moderne (1648 - 1870) with the splendid collections from the French military history starting with Louis XIV, XV, XVI, continuing with the Revolution, Napoleon I, the Restoration, Napoleon III have been renovated and displayed in a new museography I can say that this is the best museum of military history in Europe maybe in the world.

Here is my list of what I consider as the best military museums in Europe; I visited most of them several times. I did not visit Russia so that the Moscow Armed Forces museum is not on my list but I presume it is worthwhile a visit.

Medieval and Modern Times:

Invalides - Musée de l'Armée, Paris.
    Hofjagd- und Rüstkammer - Collection of Arms and Armour, Vienna
    Heeresgeschichtliche Museum - Austrian Army Museum, Vienna
    Museo del Ejercito - Army Museum, Madrid/Toledo.

World War I and II museums:
    Here the Invalides is not Nr 1 but Nr 3 from my visitor's experience.

Army Museum - Musée de l'Armée, Brussels.
    Imperial War Museum, London.
    Invalides - Musée de l'Armée, Paris.
    Heeresgeschichtliches Museum - Austrian Army Museum, Vienna

Apart of these large museums there are numerous local museums and memorials.
    The "In Flanders Fields museum", Ieper/Ypres is one the most remarkable I visited about WW I.

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Jardin de l'Intendant

by kris-t Updated Feb 19, 2011

Jardin de l'Intendant, Paris

Favorite thing: Bordering the Eglise du Dôme in the south-west corner of the grounds Hotel des Invalides is the Jardin de l'Intendant, Garden of the Steward.

Fondest memory: It is a classically-French designed garden of 13,311 square meters, created in 1980.
    Here, on the garden side of the trees, is a bronze statue of Jules Hardouin-Mansart, the architect of the Eglise du Dome.

It is a lovely, restful garden for taking a bit of sunshine and admiring the gilded dome of the church.

• Photography

• kris-t's Profile Photo

by kris-t Updated Jan 23, 2011

Les Invalides

Favorite thing: Les Invalides officially known as L'Hotel national des Invalides is a complex of buildings wich containing museums and monuments, all relating to the military history of France, as well as a hospital and a retirement home for war veterans.

The buildings house the museum of the Army of France and the Museum d'Histoire Contemporaine, as well as the burial site for some of France's war heroes, notably Napoleon Bonaparte.

Fondest memory: The church attached houses the tomb of Napoleon. The tomb crafted in red porphyry from Russia...

• themagiclake's Profile Photo

Love me Love me..

by themagiclake Written Mar 16, 2006

Fondest memory: "...love me love me.... say that you'll love me
    kiss me kiss me say that you'll kiss me..."
    Is still in my head, like all the songs we sang while walking in Paris..
    Anything even the simplest one, become the most wonderful thing when is done with you
    "...love me love me...say that you'll love me..."

• themagiclake's Profile Photo

Walking..

by themagiclake Written Mar 4, 2006

Aerial view from la Tour...

Favorite thing: ....hours around Les Invalides, looking for our "targets", km and km...we were tired, but happiness was bigger..
    Lovely days made by metro, walks, burocracy, chocolate vienoise and chinese food, la bella vita, il grande amore...

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

An uncommon view ... * 7e

by shrimp56 Updated Jun 25, 2005

Les Invalides

Favorite thing: After you "do" Les Invalides [and you can walk through the courtyard without paying the entrance fee] take a stroll -- eerrrmm ... maybe a stumble on the cobblestones -- towards Pont Alexander. It's nice to cross the bridge and look back at Invalides.
    I titled this "uncommon view", because usually the pictures of Invalides are of the gilded dome which is barely peeking below the flag. To the left as you walk towards the Seine you will get a good view of the Eiffel Tower.

• Klod5's Profile Photo

by Klod5 Updated Oct 27, 2003

Les Invalides

Favorite thing: Le vaste monument abrite le tombeau de Napoléon Bonaparte, le sanguinaire empereur qui mit l'Europe à feu et à sang.
    Derrière les invalides ne manquez pas d'aller voir le musée de la guerre, au ministère de la défense.

Fondest memory:
    The vast monument shelters Napoleon Bonaparte tomb, the bloodthirsty emperor who put Europe to fire and sword.
    Behind the invalids don't miss to be going to see the museum of the war, to the ministry of defense.

• Disabilities

• morgane1692's Profile Photo

enjoy les Invalides in B&W for a change!

by morgane1692 Updated Aug 4, 2003

Favorite thing: One of the first places I'd take a Paris newcomer would be Les Invalides here, home of Napolean and his myriad of tombs, a fabulous armory and artilleries museum, and massive amounts of ambience...enough for a repeat visit even. So there!

• pili's Profile Photo

Hotel Des Invalides

by pili Updated May 25, 2003

Hotel Des Invalides

Favorite thing: In 1670, the Sun King decided to build this "hotel" to host disabled soldiers. Today, it is the site of Napoleon's tomb and several small museums, including Musée de l'Armée – a collection of military history and war art.
    The best way to approach the Invalides is by crossing over the Right Bank via Alexander-III bridge.-

In 1670, el Rey Sol, decidió construir este hotel como hogar para los soldados discapacitados. Hoy, alberga la tumba de Napoleon y se encuentran en su interior, varios pequeños museos, como el Museo de Armas.-
    El mejor camino para llegar a él es cruzando el Puente Alejandro III.-

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo

Hôtel des Invalides and Napoleon tomb

by matcrazy1 Written Nov 6, 2002

The D��me des Invalides

Favorite thing: The complex known as the Hôtel des Invalides was founded in 1671 by Louis XIV, the Sun King. He wanted to provide accommodation for disabled and impoverished war veterans. The building was completed in 1676 and housed up to 4,000 war veterans.
    Starting in 1676 on request of the Sun King's war minister, the church Saint-Louis was built as an annex to the complex.
    The church is connected directly with the Royal chapel, better known as the Dôme des Invalides. In 1840 Louis-Philippe repatriated the remains of the Emperor Napoleon from st. Helena, where he was buried after his death 19 years earlier. The Dôme des Invalides now also houses the tombs of several other military leaders like Turenne, Vauban and marshall Foch.

• JUNLI's Profile Photo

Hotel des Invalides

by JUNLI Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Hotel des Invalides

Fondest memory:
    The last resting place of Napoleon Bonaparte and one of the world's most comprehensive museums of military history.

The coffin of Napoleon Tomb is even big enough to contain an elephant. :-) So, why the French chose such a big one for the short Napoleon?

• jgemini65's Profile Photo

Paris is a city meant to be...

by jgemini65 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Paris is a city meant to be explored! Every block reveals another wonderful site...I would find myself in awe over an old apartment building, the shear expanse of it all! What a fabulous city! It is kind of 'the city' of all cities! Les Invalides is a monumental structure...who wouldn't be awestruck! Or maybe I have a Napoleon complex!!!

Fondest memory: The people are really great...some say arrogant...I say confident! My daughter and I were trying to find an ATM... a shop owner closed his shop with customers inside to walk us to the nearest one! Wow! Where would that ever happen!

• CandS's Profile Photo

The Invalides

by CandS Updated Jul 17, 2004

The Invalides

Favorite thing: The Invalides...the home of Napoleans Tomb...

We went inside (since our Museum Card let us in for free) but it wasn't too exiting. The outside is much more impressive.

• CandS's Profile Photo

Invalides

by CandS Updated Jun 5, 2003
    Invalides

Favorite thing: I wouldn't recommend spending the money on visiting the inside of the Invalides place unless you really feel the need...the outside is much more interesting... :)

Instant Answers: Paris