Walking, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

• A crêpe from a vendor by the Eiffel Tower
    A crêpe from a vendor by the Eiffel...
    by iamjacksgoat
    Near the Tuileries
    by CALSF
  • Walking
    by ludogatto
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Some black and white of Paris

by gwened Written Dec 31, 2013

Sacre Coeur at its best

Favorite thing: coming to the end of 2013 and digging on all boxes, found some old photos I took with older analog camera, the views are not that great as had to scan them, but typically Paris will like to share with all here.

these are landmarks of Paris on my walks in the city when I used to worked there.

1) Church of Sacre Cœur
    2) back of Notre Dame,and the vert galant,
    3) pont alexandre III and the grand palais
    4) Tour Eiffel from champ de Mars gardens
    5) around the Arc de Triomphe

Fondest memory: walking anywhere Paris is wonderful for the soul.try it.

• gwened's Profile Photo

Paris ,under the snow still beautiful

by gwened Updated Dec 24, 2013
    snow walking towards the C-E from pl de laconcorde

Favorite thing: well this was in January 2009, it snow here once a while , about several years, this one was my first since living in France. It might happened again!!! and its great!

ok here are some facts about snow in Paris

The coldest temps in Paris was in 1879 when they came down to -23,9°C (- 11F) ,the record of snow goes to 1946 with 40 cm (15,7 inches) of it at Parc Montsouris !

The coldest in Paris all time
    1. winter 1879-80 -23,9 °C
    7. winter 1984-85 -13,9 °C
    8. winter 1917-18-13,8 °C
    9. winter 1887-88 -13,7 °C
    10. winter 1916-17 -13,4 °C

so off the 2009 little snow and cold everyone talked about it, piece of cake ::)

Fondest memory: walking around the Champs-Elysées , pl de la concorde, and Eiffel areas in the snow.

• gwened's Profile Photo

Because Paris has too much good for all

by gwened Written Dec 13, 2013

institut de France right

Favorite thing: Again walk walk Paris, the sites the scènes, the views, are all magical, never get tired of it, come back again, each time they will be a new thing, and more attachement to the ever most beautiful city in the world.

you have the wonderful institut de France, crossing pont des Arts
    rue gabriel off pl de la concorde
    obelisk at pl du châtelet
    gorgeous rue Rivoli, near No 43
    pl de la concorde

Fondest memory: visiting the institut de France and meeting princess Napoléon at the salle Victor Hugo

Evening walks in sublime Paris

by gwened Written Dec 13, 2013
    place de la concorde and easy traffic ::)

Favorite thing: Again walk, can't say it enough, many come here willing to try the good public transportation in Paris and surrounding towns, but to see Paris best is above ground, slowly, very slowly. See it, feel it, smell it, and most of all admire it.

Some more photos of my collection for VT

Do walk Paris and at night is sublime, out of this world.

Fondest memory: great walks around and on place de la concorde and crossing the pont de la concorde into the quais of the Seine; wonderful and chic around and on Place Vendôme, and quais just below to look up the Eiffel tower

Keep walking, its Paris

by gwened Written Dec 12, 2013
    D'Artagnan and the muskeeteers with A Dumas on top

Favorite thing: walk Paris and you will see wonders before your eyes, there is no city on earth that can provide so much visual wonders in architecture and history all well preserve ,like an outdoor museum.

This is my Paris.
    Statue of Alexandre Dumas père (1802-1870), is placed over a pedestal built by the architects Joseph Antoine Bouvard and Ulysse Gravigny. This basement is decorated on its main face of a group in bronze representative of readers flipping through one of his books, allegory of reading.
    Dumas is sitting, pen in hand, gown, traditional attributes of literary genius in action. On the posterior aspect of the monument, stands of d'Artagnan, the sword out of the scabbard, one of his fictional hero immortals. A plaque recalls the name of the main works of the author: the three Musketeers, twenty years after, the count of Monte Cristo, the vicomte de Bragelonne. This statue is the ultimate creation of Gustave Doré.

Fondest memory: Alexandre Dumas why not go muskeeteers, one for all and all for one!!!

• gwened's Profile Photo

hey walk Paris, its good for you!

by gwened Updated Nov 25, 2013
    along quai Branly

Favorite thing: walking is good for you, and when you do that in Paris is like walking on air, sublime, perfect. Then you can leave our world happy.

i am looking thru some of my old photos and just came up with these, so figure you want to see more of Paris.

driving walking quai branly is awesome and going down to my favorite port de Suffren for goodies and look up the tower... the many ponts or bridges with Mirabeau been underappreciated.
    The beautiful palais de Chaillot, at trocadero,and what can we say about the champs elysées!

Fondest memory: walk anywhere there is something unique that will make you come back and back to Paris;a movable feast.

The quai branly

• pedroswift's Profile Photo

Orientation - Street Numbers

by pedroswift Updated Sep 6, 2013

Favorite thing: Not getting lost.
    Streets ( called rue, boulevard or avenue) are numbered based on their orientation with the River Seine. Streets ninety degrees to the river are numbered from the river : evens on the right ; odds on the left. If parallel to the Seine numbers start at the eastern end and progress with the flow of the river. On the islands in the Seine #1 is on the south end of the street.
    Re building numbering anywhere in Paris - Don't expect the numbers on the even sides to be close to the numbers across the street. eg No 27 on the left may be enface No 96 on the right.

Don't forget to find and photograph "Point Zero" from which all French highway distances are measured. Seek and ye shall Find!

• Hiking and Walking

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Take a walk. Paris was made for walking.

by Beausoleil Written Apr 4, 2013

Notre Dame de Paris

Favorite thing: We live in California so have to fly over the entire United States, the Atlantic, Ireland, the UK and part of France before landing in Paris the day after we started. Needless to say, there is a jet lag problem. The easiest way to overcome jet lag (for us) is to start walking and Paris is the perfect place to do this.

Where we start depends on where we stay, but often we start by walking to Notre Dame Cathedral just to make sure it's still there. Then we walk along the Seine watching the tour boats go by with people waving. We'll walk up the Ile de la Cite to the end, cut through Place Dauphine, the hidden square most people never find and on to Pont Neuf. There we cross to the Quai de Louvre and walk towards the Louvre, cut through the Cour Carree, out into the Cour Napoleon with the famous Pei Pyramid and under the Arc du Carrousel. If the little Paul's stand is open, I'll get a coffee and then we walk through the Tuileries enjoying the antics of the many people there. At the Place de la Concorde we turn south and cross the Pont de la Concorde and start back down the other side of the Seine toward the Musee d'Orsay. We wander on into the Luxembourg Gardens and then head off to Place St. Sulpice near our favorite restaurant. By then we're ready for a meal and a rest. Afterwards, we usually take the Metro back to the hotel and sleep like babies. It's a good introduction to our favorite city after being gone for a while.

Fondest memory: Many many memories and most have been shared elsewhere on this site.

What do I miss the most? Paris. When I'm not there, I miss Paris. The entire city and all the people in it; I miss them.

• Hiking and Walking

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Walking the streets of Paris

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 24, 2013

Okay, where to next??

Favorite thing: One of my favorite things to do in Paris is just walk around with no agenda and exploring new places. As many times as I've been here there are still areas that I've yet to explore and walking allows me to do just that.

Sometimes I grab a good map and figure out my route, what I would like to see, do and explore, or I just head out with no plans whatsoever.

In this photo you can see that I'm in deep thought trying to figure out exactly where I wanted to go as our time here was limited. We decided to visit the Marais.

Fondest memory: I do a lot of walking, and anyone that has traveled with me will attest that all my exploring in a city like Paris is almost always done on foot. You get the best experience of the city when you put your two feet to work.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Museum Visits

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

More room for pedestrians

by Nemorino Updated Dec 3, 2012

1. Re-allocation of space in rue B��ranger

Favorite thing: Even in places where bus and bicycle lanes are not needed, the city has started re-allocating space to make more room for pedestrians and less for cars. Here on rue Béranger in the 3rd arrondissment they have removed one lane of motor traffic (it's a one-way street), widened and re-paved the sidewalk and started planting trees. When I took the photo the trees weren't there yet, but the emplacements for them were already in place. And they have installed posts to prevent motorists from parking on the newly widened sidewalk.

Second photo: A couple blocks later on rue de Turenne (same street, different name) we have a bad example of a street that has not yet been rearranged. The too-wide street generates excess motor traffic and encourages speeding. The too-narrow sidewalk means that pedestrians get bunched up and have trouble getting through as soon as there are six or seven of them in the same place.

Third photo: Like many other cities, Paris has created several pedestrian districts in which the streets are closed off to motor traffic except for deliveries at certain times of day, and even then the speed limit is 15 kilometers per hour. The photo shows an entrance to the pedestrian area of Les Halles, which has turned this once-inhospitable neighborhood into a lively urban setting with numerous cafes, restaurants and shops.

Fourth photo: These signs are announcing "Paris respire" (Paris breathes), showing which streets will be closed off to motor traffic on Sundays and holidays to make space for pedestrians, cyclists and inline skaters.

• Malecka's Profile Photo

Put a pair of comfy shoes on

by Malecka Written Aug 20, 2012
    Marie by Seine

Favorite thing: Even before going to Paris (for the first time) I knew that a) I didn’t want to prepare a busy agenda too ambitious to ever realize, b) Set objectives in terms of what I would see and/or visit, c) First, and foremost, I wanted to simply enjoy the city, to walk along its streets, sit on benches, just look at it and marvel at its beauty. This last thing being something I want to do with any place that I visit.

I knew I wanted to... Just walk and look, and enjoy the feeling of being in Paris, of being one more person to look at the lovely architecture and to be overwhelmed by its grand spirit.
    So yes, the very first thing I would suggest anyone to do, especially when visiting Paris for the first time, is to take a day (or two) and just walk around and indulge in the visual pleasures. Nothing more. No rush to get to the Eiffel tower, no waiting in lines in museums, nothing like that.

Suggestions: a stroll along Rue de Rivoli to Place de l'Hôtel-de-Ville, and then go down to Quai de Gesvres, continue along Rue de la Cité and you would reach Notre Dame.

• Museum Visits

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Answer to Forum Question - May, 2012

by riorich55 Written May 28, 2012

Favorite thing: Here is my standard first reply for questions such as yours

1) Eat Good Food - What do you want to eat? What do you mean by good?

2) Good Time at Night - What is your view of a good time?

3) Reasonably priced places to drink and dine - What does reasonably priced mean to you?

My answers would probably we different then yours on all 3 as my wife and I are a tad older and in fact have 4 children all older then you. I probably couldn't even get the same answers from all 4 of my kids (young adults) if they were all going to Paris for 3 days.

Let us know. If I can't assist you others here will be more then helpful. But help direct their answers with answering the questions. Otherwise you might get everybodies personal opinion.

With that being said here are a couple of potential things for you to do. We have been in Paris twice in the past couple of years and were just there for 4 days last month.

1) A cruise on the Seine River either a dinner cruise or just a regular cruise without a meal.

2) Find some hidden parks or well known parks and walk through them and have a picnic

3) Buy some bread and pastry just about anywhere in Paris. YUM

That will get you started.

• Events in France

by Knarfou Written May 4, 2012

Favorite thing: There are always events going on in Paris and around.
    Many are free and change every week.
    You can have a look at the website autour2moi.fr ("around me" in French) which shows an
    Interactive map of all events in Paris. (in French but still useful)
    Exists also on mobiles (search "autour2moi" ) : useful when you want to know whats going on around you.
    Have a nice trip.

• Festivals

• kris-t's Profile Photo

Bridges crossing the Seine - Pont Alexandre III

by kris-t Updated Mar 27, 2012

Pont Alexandre III, Paris

Favorite thing: Pont Alexandre III : with its Art Nouveau lamps, cherubs, nymphs and winged horses at either end, was built between 1896 and 1900.

The Pont Alexandre III connects the Grand and Petit Palais on the right bank with the Hotel des Invalides on the left bank.

Fondest memory: Pont Alexandre III is the most ornate, extravagant bridge in Paris...

The first stone was laid by the Russian Tsar Nicolay II in Oct.1896. The bridge was to symbolize Russian-French friendship and was named after his father Tsar Alexander III.

• Photography

• walterwu's Profile Photo

Roaming in Paris

by walterwu Written Aug 13, 2011

Favorite thing: My wife and me got separate briefly in Paris Metro and used our mobile to contact each others. The 2 minutes call cost about US$2 for each the caller and the receiver.

Advise: minimise calls while overseas and use SMS if possible.

• Trains