Boules - Petanque, Paris

Know about this?

• Boules - Petanque
    by rexvaughan
    My thats a heavy set of balls you have.
    by ChadSteve1975
    Hot Game
    by rexvaughan
  • rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Boules

by rexvaughan Updated May 20, 2006

Hot Game

I think this is basically a French game but with obvious variations in other places. It is like a form of bowling except you can toss the ball a long way if you want. I think the guy on the right (in the main photo) is disappointed in this point. Looks like the guy on the right in the second photo is on his cell phone. Either that or he has an ear ache! This game was in the Place des Etats-Unis but they are everywhere these guys can find a bare patch in a park. Maybe next time I will ask if I can join. I did notice in this game there were women and people from non-European ethnic origins - another form of egalite and fraternity.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Petanque at Arene Lutece *5e

by shrimp56 Written Mar 27, 2006

Note the balls

The first time I visited the remains of the Roman Arene Lutece it was completely empty. This last visit it was full of life including these men playing petanque or boules. Checkout the website for the rules as well as this website too! http://www.discoverfrance.net/France/Sports/DF_boules.shtml
    The game, related to the Italian bocce and British lawn bowling, is reputed to have originated in the south of France. http://www.pavilion.co.uk/petanque/origins.html
    Whatever the history these guys were having a lovely afternoon of it!

• basbed23's Profile Photo

The Old Man Game

by basbed23 Written Feb 9, 2005
    Boule

The French love their Boule. On many occasions I have come across old men playing Boule. Boule is a lot like lawn bowling. There is a small ball and each player has three chances to throw his larger, heavier ball towards the smaller in order to score points. The player who gets his "boule" the closest scores the point. I'm still having a difficult time understanding this simple game.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Watch a game

by ChadSteve1975 Written Jan 8, 2004
    My thats a heavy set of balls you have.

Forgive me if I forget the french name of the game. But once in a while if you looked around the parks you saw a group of men engaged in a game of bochee.

How cools that.

• Leipzig's Profile Photo

by Leipzig Updated May 1, 2003

Boule

In parks, on sidewalks or meadows you see Parisians play together with heavy metallic bowls (the boules). It's nice to watch but do not cross the field!

Instant Answers: Paris