Moulin Rouge, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

Moulin Rouge at night
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: the historical Parisien cabaret Rouge

by gwened Written Mar 3, 2014
    Moulin Rouge

The quinssentanial Parisian cabaret, famous all over, too famous I must add. I was here many years ago and then stop. But for the sake of info I am posting my old photos here. This is mostly an adult place but not sexual just sensual.

The history is long going back to 1889 when big spectacles where held here. Operattas begain by 1903 and Mistinguett began by 1907. In 1929 Mistinguett quits and the place becomes of the biggest cinema houses around with 1500 seats. 1950 a new generation with concerts by famous French performers such as Charles Aznavour, Charles Trenet etc. 1979 Ginger Rogers comes to town. 1989 it comes strong into magical theater performances such as "Formidable"; nOW it has already each october now 124 years of activity in Paris!!!

Unfortunately over the years the area at night has become a bit seedy at least by Paris standards, vandalism rising 26% from last year alone. When I did come or go up to Sacre Cœur I park by Anvers metro stop that has an underground parking next to it, and safer.

you can have dinner included and there is a shop for souvenirs Inside. The décorations are outstanding, and brings out the performers who have passed by it. A Paris alternative if going for the old Paris. The Toulouse-Lautrec and Belle Epoque are the tops at 180 and 210€ respectively.

Dress Code: very nice dress but seen jeans, just no tie needed , no sneakers.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Moulin Rouge

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 24, 2013

Famous Windmill Moulin Rouge

The Moulin Rouge is known the world over for their famous "Can-Can" girls, this place is a must if you want to just feel a bit of old Paris.

I visited Moulin Rouge on my first visit to Paris, and although quite expensive, the show was pretty good.

After visiting Paris as many times as I have, I would say, skip this place. There are plenty of other places you can spend your money on.

• Wine Tasting

• solopes's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: The old icon

by solopes Updated Jan 10, 2013

Paris - France

No, we didn't enter!

However, more than a club with expensive drinks and naked women in elaborated shows, this is a city's icon, almost as Eiffel tower, impossible to pass by without a comment or a picture.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Singles

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Ooh la la

by alyf1961 Written Apr 9, 2012

The Moulin Rouge was built in 1885 and it was turned into a dance hall in 1900. The name translated means red windmill.
    Famous for dancing girls and the Can Can, There are still shows daily today lunch is at 1pm and dinner at 7pm with the show starting 2 hours later..

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: OOH LA LA

by alyf1961 Written Apr 9, 2012

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Le Moulin Rouge: The famous Red Windmill

by pieter_jan_v Updated Nov 6, 2011
    Le Moulin Rouge - Paris

The Moulin Rouge is the best known night club-theater of Paris. It opended in1889 at the so-called Belle Epoque. 20 years later it was here where the Cancan got its fame. Later the building became a Music Hall and nowadays it's the center for revues.

Entrance fees are from 90€ to 200€

• viddra's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: A temple of music and dance

by viddra Updated Apr 4, 2011

the cabaret

When the music hall was opened in 1889, its owners, Oller and Zidler, claimed that it would become a temple of music and dance... A lot of people would agree, because this home of the can-can dance still offers a spectacular musical dance entertainment. However, the others would say that the tickets are overpriced... Perhaps one day I'll see it for myself.

Dress Code: Neat, no jeans or trainers

• Susumarie's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: A Night at the Cabaret

by Susumarie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Entrance to Moulin Rouge

I realize there are many cabarets to choose from, but when you may only be in Paris once, how can you miss the most famous? This was a dream of my daughter's, so I went for it, and was certainly glad, as it was a terrific show. First of all, my daughter's wallet had been stolen that day, so she was down in the dumps, and this really did the trick. They do grab your camera from you, so don't have it out when you go in. We were seated at a table with two young men who had obviously been to the show before, and they may have been more entertaining than the show. Each act, all the way to the can can was wonderful, though, and I would do it again.
    I did get my tickets on-line, which came with 1/2 bottle of champagne each; I noticed the men at our table had to pay for their champagne, so I think we got a pretty good deal, and it makes a difference which site you go through. We went to the late show, which was also cheaper. This was the site I found to be the cheapest at the time:

Dress Code: Elegant attire is recommended for all shows.

• Singles

• travelswithsteve's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: The Show Not The Film

by travelswithsteve Updated Apr 4, 2011

The One And Only

Two shows a night, and remember to book. The earlier show kicks off about 8 the later one 11.
    A brilliant live show, with a bit of audience participation thrown in.

Dress Code: Smart / Casual thru to dinner jackets.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Still not sure a tourist trap or nightlife tip

by Carmela71 Updated Apr 4, 2011

At night

Well, when I was doing some research, all the vt´s agreed to put it into tourist traps, so we did not enter, but we passed by, during our night visit to Montmartre .....

I guess I would not pay 100 Euros for the show .... each person....

• ATLC's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Moulin Rouge

by ATLC Updated Apr 4, 2011

Actually, I just saw the movie on DVD. At first it was a bit boring, but just when I wanted to give up, it became quite impressive despite the very thin story.

See the website below for more information on the real Moulin Rouge in Paris.

Dress Code: Tie, I should think

• Moulin Rouge: Moulin rouge

by John8169 Written Apr 3, 2011

Went to moulin rouge tonight, check your jacket is 2 euro so try to do without one, otherwise they will let you take it in just not on the chair back. We didn't have the dinner just the show at 9pm but drinks seemed reasonable at 12 euro extra. Don't worry about the dress regulation, it's not strict, I was living out of a backpack so wore jeans and casual shoes with no problem, would have been nice to dress for it though. Show was fantastic, don't miss it.

Dress Code: As above

• Moulin Rouge: Moulin rouge

by John8169 Written Apr 3, 2011

Dress Code: As above

• Bourgeois's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Extravaganza

by Bourgeois Written Aug 16, 2010

Hubby and I went to The Moulin Rougue for my 50th birthday, needless to say It won't be forgotten. It was thouroughly enjoyable, colourful, exciting and I am glad I spent approx. 120AUD for the experience. I would spend that amount to see any show in Sydney, so it was not that expensive in comparison. A once in a lifetime event....

Dress Code: Smartly dressed, like most french people dress.

• Photography

• Maria81's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Birthplace of the Can-Can

by Maria81 Written Dec 24, 2009

'Formidable' poster

What?

A cabaret built in 1889

Where?

Close to Montmartre in the Pigalle district, the 18th arrondissement. You won't miss the windmill :)

The story and past shows

Best known as the place that popularised the can-can, it was the forerunner of European cabarets.

Past shows:

- Frou Frou (1963-1965)
    - Frisson (1965-1967)
    - Fascination (1967-1970)
    - Fantastic (1970-1973)
    - Festival (1973-1976)
    - Follement (1976-1978)
    - Frenesie (1978-1983)
    - Femmes, Femmes, Femmes (1983-1988)
    - Formidable (1988-1999)