Moulin Rouge, Paris

Know about this? Rate It!

Moulin Rouge at night
    by iamjacksgoat
    Anvers metro/parking
    by gwened
    by gwened
  • Moulin Rouge: One Enchanted Evening

by Intriguing15 Written Sep 5, 2009

Americans in Paris!

It was our first time to Europe, France, Paris and the venue and it was unforgettable! I don't recall exactly how much the cruise and show were and that's an idea of how special the whole evening turned out to be. We did the evening cruise down the Sine as well and the show and dancers were world-class. I love Las Vegas and I've seen Broadway and Atlantic City. No contest. See the original. See it soon.

Dress Code: We had been living out of suitcases and had only dress casual with us. We felt quite comfortable.

• iamjacksgoat's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Amazing show, but not for the children!

by iamjacksgoat Written Jun 12, 2009

Moulin Rouge at night

All I can say is: wow. The show of the Moulin Rouge was amazing! Colors, lights, music, entertainment! Everything was there. Though famous for the topless women, the show is much more than that. There are dancers, comedians, and gymnasts. One act that I thought was particularly amazing: a man and women doing amazing balancing acts of strength. They balanced each other with just a hand, and did tricks I didn't think were possible! A must see in Paris!

Despite the fact that the show is not entirely topless women, the Moulin Rouge is still not child-friendly. Leave the kids at home for this one. I had teenage boys in my tour group, and they giggled a bit...

As a warning, cameras are not allowed inside the Moulin Rouge. They collect them at the door, then give them back to you after your show.

Dress Code: As for the dress code, dress smartly. You don't need to go all out, but look presentable. Ladies could wear a nice dress or a skirt and top. Men could wear a dress shirt and pants.

• Study Abroad

• longsanborn's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Cabaret Shows & Sexy Girls

by longsanborn Written Jan 29, 2007

Outside Moulin Rouge

Moulin Rouge (French for "red mill") is a traditional cabaret, built in 1889. Situated in the red-light district of Pigalle on Boulevard de Clichy near Montmartre, it is famous for the large red imitation windmill on its roof. Over the past hundred years, the Moulin Rouge has remained a popular tourist destination, offering musical dance entertainment for adult visitors from around the world.

I managed to watch the cabaret show in 2003 and I enjoyed it. We bought a packaged tour that included a boat cruise and a Moulin Rouge show (ticket & 1 small champagne) The cabaret show is loud, fun, lively and vibrant with colors. The dancers were scantily dressed, and sometimes, topless too. However, the tables and chairs were arranged very close to each other, and it was rather cramped.

Dress Code: No Jeans and sneakers. Formal casual outfits required.

• Business Travel
    • Cruise

• kmorlo16's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Not That Great

by kmorlo16 Written Jan 14, 2007

If you have seen Vegas caberet shows, well Paris is where they started. The show wasn't bad, but you were really crammed into small tables with too many people and the view may not be the best. I don't regret going, but I don't think I would really recommend it unless you have never seen a caberet type show in Paris, Vegas, Atlantic City, etc.

• lolitajane's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Dancing at Le Moulin Rouge

by lolitajane Updated Aug 19, 2006

A jolie dans le moulin

Another Landmark of Paris is 'Le Moulin Rouge', it still attracts a lot of attention (I was told the shows are great) and every tourist wants to have a pic of it.

Dress Code: Red feathers & lingerie...Just kidding! (Why not?) ;-)))

• vichatherly's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: A Good Meeting Place - Moulin Rouge

by vichatherly Written May 17, 2006

I had to meet some people in Paris and so we decided that as my French might be up to the standard for the taxi driver a good spot to ask for in a taxi would be the Moulin Rouge. We were right. No problems in finding the place.

I didn't make it inside as the queues looked too long and I had some serious catching up on the drinking to do. Worth a photograph though.

• Beer Tasting

• SarahEire's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Moulin Rouge

by SarahEire Updated May 14, 2006

Moulin Rouge

The Moulin Rouge (or the Red Windmill) is located on Boulevard de Clichy in an area of Montmartre called Pigalle. It got its name from the time of Louis XIV when there were up to thirty windmills on the hilltop of Montmatre. The Moulin Rouge first opened its doors on 6 October 1889; it was a theater, a concert hall and a dance hall.

Today the Moulin Rouge is the most famous cabaret show in the world and is home to the French Can-Can. The show consists of 60 dancers, 80 musicians and 60 chorus singers, which are recruited from all over the world to perform in the show.

• punair's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Overrated

by punair Written May 4, 2006

I think Moulin Rouge is overrated.its like a 2nd class Las vegas show. Not worth the price but not so bad as to not recommend it to first timers. Typically a batobus ride around the city ends at Moulin Rouge and the ride is the best part of the night

Dress Code: Formal

• Moulin Rouge: The original French

by stefkaman Written Jan 5, 2006

Mouling Rouge is the typical french cabaret. If you want to see a more traditional french can-can, then this is your choice (even though I would rather it last a lit bit more...)

There are 3 shows (19:00, 21:00 and 23:00). The first one includes dinner but it is quite expensive. The other two are a little bit cheaper.

Unfortunately, cameras are not allowed.

• william_navigator's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Moulin Rouge

by william_navigator Updated Jan 1, 2006
    Moulin Rouge

The Moulin Rouge is famous for entertaining people since 1889. Dinner and a show are the main event. I'd skip the dinner personally. Also you may end up at a cramped table with complete strangers. The show was good. I'm glad I went but I wouldn't go again. Some of the dancers are topless but it is not really risque. Enjoy the dance routines, feathers, sequins and original music. There is even a dancer wrestling/swimming with a huge snake in a water tank.

Dress Code: Formal attire is requested. No jeans or sneakers, go with a sport coat or suit and no tie.

• LarsLous's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: glamour and cancan

by LarsLous Written Nov 15, 2005

The Moulin Rouge is a place where you will be taken back in time to ancient glorys. This is the place, the heart of Paris is beating fast. An evening here will leave you very impressed, astonished and full of cheer. The show is great, the girls are beautiful, the food is absolutely marvelous. And the whole show is full of lights and glamour and not slipperly at all. Have a try. And believe me, the show is worth every cent.

Dress Code: Dress code is casual, but no jeans and no sneakers. Most people wear suits and ties.

• La_Viajera's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: No Fotos Please!!!

by La_Viajera Written Oct 31, 2005

I read a lot of negative reviews about Moulin Rouge before my trip and had decided not to go....lucky for me some friends told me not to miss it and I went. I thought it was a great show. Not really Cancan, but much better than most caberet shows I have seen in Las Vegas. Just one word of warning...DON`TTRY TO TAKE PICTURES!!! I never saw any sign saying no pictures and when I took one they promply came and took my camera away and delited the picture...and about 3 others!!!!

• suzyq40's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Can you Can Can??

by suzyq40 Written Oct 30, 2005

I can only comment on the actual spot and location of the Moulin Rouge, as it was too expensive for me to actually attend. Tix start at 70Eur and that is to stand at the bar,
    Of course it is free to take photos out the front of the Moulin Rouge of the Windmill, which alot of people including myself tend to do.

Dress Code: Im not sure of the dress code, but I dont think it is necessary to really dress up too much.

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: Not A Must-See but Good

by CALSF Updated Sep 5, 2005

It was my aunt's idea to see the Moulin Rouge show; it was either that or dinner at Altitude 95. Since she likes cabarets then she figured this one would be great.

We booked the dinner/show package-the Toulouse Lautrec menu to be exact. And it's not cheap. It costs 150 euro/person.

We took a tour package that includes the transportation and pickup at our hotel. As you're dropped off on the sidewalk you'll notice what seems like hundreds of other tourists like yourself lined up to enter the theater on Blvd. de Clichy. And don't be surprised to see alot of sights while waiting :)
    This is Pigalle after all.

After you're let into the theater's foyer you will be demanded to take off your coat-yes, so that you can check it for a fee. They don't allow coats in the theater. Maybe it's a hazard if people trip on coats hanging from chairs?? Oh, by the way there's also a vendor selling the programmes for like 7 euro or so (can't really recall).

It's a huge theater with the dinner patrons sitting on the main floor and the drinks only patrons sitting far up. Dinner was not so great; it was a chicken dish that was a bit dry. Dessert was okay. On the whole, as others have noted, the food is not that great. But being a package it came with a 1/2 bottle of champagne per person. My aunt could not drink more than two glasses so I got the honors of drinking as much champagne in one sitting than I've ever done before.

The show itself is a variety show and unbelievably good. The performers are very talented, the dancers-both the women and men-are talented as well and, of course, in pretty good shape!

There is one act where a huge aquarium slides out from under the stage and a girl dives in and does her dance number-with a few albino snakes. Uh, I have a phobia of snakes so sitting upclose to the aquarium gave me the creeps.

One amusing thing: loved checking all the young & old guys with their eyes popping out when the girls were onstage!!

In summary, I recommend the show itself but not the dinner.

Dress Code: Semi-formal to formal dress required

• MedioLatino's Profile Photo

Moulin Rouge: The original red mill is grinding here! :)

by MedioLatino Written May 9, 2005

Le Moulin Rouge, a mill in nightshift :)

Moulin Rouge is probably the most famous cabaret in the world. It made Cancan big in 1961 and it's still a "hot spot" ever since!

The current show, called Féeire consist of 100 artists, 60 of them being the georgeous Doriss Girls from all around the world.

Shows are relatively expensive (87-97 EUR), if you also want to have dinner, the price goes up to 140-170 EUR.

You have to reserve your place in advance by phone or on the net.

Dress Code: As they posted it on the page: Formal attire. Jacket and tie will be appreciated. No shorts.

Instant Answers: Paris