What to pack for Paris

Just so you know you're in Paris.
    by Beausoleil
  • Galeries are fancy historic shopping malls
    Galeries are fancy historic shopping...
    by Beausoleil
    Supermarkets even in Paris (rue de Buci)

Most Viewed What to Pack in Paris

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

What if I forget something?

by Beausoleil Written Jul 28, 2013

Miscellaneous: This is kind of a "don't worry about it" tip. On our first trip (before there were terrific travel web sites like Virtual Tourist), I really worried about what to take and tried not to forget anything I couldn't live without. At one point in our first trip I got a terrible cold and spent a week coughing through southern France. It never occurred to me to walk into a pharmacy and buy cough drops. Silly me.

Then we started renting farm houses in the country and we had to stock them with typical household items and foods. That introduced us to the supermarkets and other stores. Voila! You can buy it there.

Quite frankly, if you forget something, you can walk into a store and buy it. They have toothpaste, shampoo, slacks, jackets, sweaters, dresses, shoes, socks, etc. Any large city like Paris has anything you may want to buy and usually any brand you want. It is usually cheaper to buy local brands but if you have allergies and require certain brands, you'll probably find them.

We don't even pack toothpaste, shampoo, hair gel, etc. now. We simply buy it when we arrive. We stay a month or more so it's usually used up when we leave and we don't need to pack it home either. Just realize you don't need to take everything or if you forget something, you can easily buy it when you arrive, from Ivory soap and Colgate toothpaste to lovely clothes that make wonderful souvenirs.

One of my favorite jackets was a purchase because of a cold spell in July in southern France. It never occurred to me to take a jacket in July. Live and learn. I found a really cute jacket and still have it years later. Every time I wear it, I think of where I bought it. That's fun.

If you're looking for nice things at low prices, check Monoprix. Monoprix Department Store Official Web Site

Street markets are fun Street markets sell everything Galeries are fancy historic shopping malls Supermarkets even in Paris (rue de Buci) Really fun at Christmas
    • Women's Travel

• leanne_pearc's Profile Photo

Bring a Champagne Stopper!

by leanne_pearc Updated Jun 2, 2011

Luggage and bags: One thing i did not take with me to Paris was a Champagne Stopper! Champagne was cheap and plentiful in the super marche. A stopper would of come in handy in keeping the Champagne good for the next day!

• davequ's Profile Photo

Some of Paris Basic Necessities

by davequ Updated Mar 27, 2008

Miscellaneous: "Freedom's just another word
    for nothin' left to lose....
    And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free "
    ( © Kris Kristofferson)

So better bring some of these---------------------------->Paris is EXPENSIVE...

Lately the Euro is beating the bejaysus out of the yankee dollar,
    making the simple pleasures of Paris much more costly than in the past.

In '01 it was 1.12 Euros/dollar or really ~7 francs to a buck (those were the days ...)

Now (Mar '08) $1.58 dollars = 1 Euro
    Paris costs at least twice as much after 7 years
    HUGE difference!

grrrr ... political rants are not allowed on vt

Check the latest exchange rates here:

Euros-to-dollars exchange rates

Tour des Euros The Euro, stomping the buck's guts out
    • Study Abroad

• Zanee's Profile Photo

Rennies, s'il vous plait?

by Zanee Written Jul 17, 2007

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I never like to be caught without my regular types of medication when abroad - you may not be able to get the particular brand you use and as medicines are all behind the counter you may not like to try explaining ! However, my boyfriend got indigestion from a particularly heavy galette, and the guy who served us in the Pharmacy at Les halles spoke perfect English (we had our request prepared - just in case! ) and they were cheaper than in the U.K . I had to be dragged away from the toiletries - I could quite happily have spent all my money on the beautifully wrapped goodies - they sure know how to make a 10 euro soap look alluring!

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

For those traveling on to Brittany...

by skywalkerbeth Written Oct 29, 2006

Miscellaneous: There is La Maison de Bretagne at 203 Boulevard St. Germain. This is a good place to check out tourist info if you are heading to Brittany from Paris as they seem to cover all aspects of a holiday in Brittany.

• ctorres1979's Profile Photo

You will be so happy you have this!!

by ctorres1979 Written Jul 9, 2006

Luggage and bags: If you plan on buying some of the amazing cheeses of France home with you, you much bring some sort of airtight container of really good quality ziplock bags..like more than one or two. The odor of these cheeses can really permeate through whatever packing the shop gives you and you don't want to ruin the mood if you are on a romantic trip!

• themagiclake's Profile Photo

The Love Chocolate Ink Please

by themagiclake Updated Mar 4, 2006

Miscellaneous: Oh you know how to add fantasies and love, and more craziness, every time of our meeting, I am crazy about you baby, crazy about your love, crazy about your craziness...
    a tattoo on your skin to badge the adjective that you deserves.
    And as it is a chocolate exotic ink, I like to write and draw more, and of course with a lot of mistakes, because the erasor is my tongue, and the black board is Mmmmmmmmmh you my love :-$

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

French produce

by sourbugger Written Sep 22, 2005

Luggage and bags: Don't pass up the opportunity in bringing back a few bottles of really good wine whilst in France. I would especially recommend the rather fine bottle of 2001 Chateaux Neuf du Pape (as seen the photo).

Therefore, get a good wine carrier, preferably one that will fit in your hand luggage due to the weight of a good half-dozen bottles.

I would also recommend getting hold of the very best tupperware container you can to take home some of those wonderfully smelly French cheeses. After all, you dont want to spend a couple of hours on a plane feeling uncomfortably like you have just had a fart in a lift.

An excellent choice Sourbugger emptied the station with his big Camenb

• BenFromParis's Profile Photo

List of HOSPITALS for medical urgencies in PARIS

by BenFromParis Updated Aug 26, 2005

Miscellaneous: I give here the official list of public HOSPITALS that have an office for medical URGENCIES open all day and 24/24. And I also give the URL where you can find the list. Don't hesitate to go there if you have any problems of health. Be carefull, this list is for adult urgencies, if you have young children, this list of hospitals could be a little bit different.

Hospital BICHAT - 18th district
    Hospital EUROPEEN-GEORGES POMPIDOU - 15th district
    Hospital COCHIN - 14th district
    Hospital HOTEL-DIEU - 4th district
    Hospital LARIBOISIERE - 10th district
    Hospital PITIE-SALPETRIERE - 13th district
    Hospital St LOUIS - 10 th district
    Hospital St ANTOINE - 12th district

Other hopitals with medical urgencies but not public :
    Hospital Léopold-Bellan - 15th district
    Hospital Saint-Joseph - 14th district
    Hospital de la Croix Saint-Simon - 20th district

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Good Old-fashioned Film

by CALSF Written May 24, 2005

Photo Equipment: Yes, I know, how many of us actually carry the traditional old-fashioned camera nowadays? Well, there are some of us who still wish to use these types of cameras. In case you are one of these visitors to Paris, please be sure to bring extra rolls of film. You sure don't want to stop and look for some overpriced souvenir shop to buy your extra film. The prices in Paris are tremendous.

• Maillekeukeul's Profile Photo

IIIrd - Don't forget your rights !!!

by Maillekeukeul Updated May 9, 2005

Miscellaneous: France, country of the human rights, etc... Here they are, these famous human rights : the "Declaration Universelle des Droits et des Devoirs de l'Homme et du Citoyen" (universal declaration of human and citizen rights and obligations), voted in 1789... We have been the first country to declare them, I would love that we be the first country to apply them TOTALLY !!!

La Declaration Universelle

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Quasimodo

by Carmela71 Updated Dec 16, 2003

Luggage and bags: Just in case the real was not over there, I brought my own one ... hehehe pobrecito....

It was so much fun doing the photo, the people were looking at us as if we were crazy (I wonder if they are right lol) ...

And Stace finally said,

Common I am embarrassed....

Embarrassed???? 400.000 people are going to see this photo at VT!!!!! why you mind just a few lol

Quasimodo_Beach

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Thinking on your VT friends

by Carmela71 Written Dec 5, 2003

Luggage and bags: Since we join VT and its part of your life, while travelling little thing bring you to mind other VT members.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I guess I do not have to tell you, who we were thinking on, when we saw this lol ..... and made the photo ;-)

Yes is Inga lool

• nygaston's Profile Photo

Moving for some months from your paradise

by nygaston Updated Aug 21, 2003

Luggage and bags: Do not take too much,
    it's heavy and you have only 2 hands

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take the best and the nicest.
    you may buy stuff, in your new location if necessary

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: There is everything in France and it's quite cheap or reasonable for good quality

Photo Equipment: Buy in Canada or US it's better and cheaper with Tax refund, sometimes.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: PARIS Seine Boulogne and South of France, nice locations if the weather is nice too.

Miscellaneous: if you carry Laptop, electronics, put all the accesories and cables together in the same bag. if not, you may lost them or loose time to find the small cable. Make a list of you main things with number of boxes, where they are.

camping at home

• LolaSanFrancisco's Profile Photo

Don’t take any wooden nickels!

by LolaSanFrancisco Written May 19, 2003

Luggage and bags: Lock it up with a pad lock folks. No joke!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take some crapy clothes with you. Then replace them with new cool new ones you buy alone the way. Donate you old ones to a hostel.

Miscellaneous: And of coarse there’s this old one: “Lay out all the clothes you want to take with you. Take out half the clothes and double your money and you should be fine.”

• Trains

Latest: Aug 7, 2014
Grand Hotel Jeanne d'Arc
Latest: Aug 16, 2014

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Paris What to Pack

shrimp56's Profile Photo

Packing is very personal. Some  carry their whole closet with them, while others just bring a few items that they will wash enroute. Paris is a fashion-conscious city, so those of us who...

Map of Paris

Paris Members Meetings

May 11, 2015
The VT meeting to see what others don't see