Style, Paris

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Pack The Best You Have!

by lmkluque Updated Aug 29, 2012

Angelina's

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: We all have expectations of what to see and do in Paris, but we shouldn't forget ourselves.

Fashion and Style are more than mere words in Paris, they are a way of life. Even the most casual outfit seems to come straight out of a fashion magazine when worn by a resident of Paris.

Pack your best and most fashionable garments and feel the elegance. Of course, if it is in your budget, don't pack anything and buy it all in Paris! I would if I could.

• Business Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• iamjacksgoat's Profile Photo

Looking Good While in Paris - Women

by iamjacksgoat Written Jun 12, 2009

Luggage and bags: Very importantly, a good bag is a must. Leave the fashionable purses at home and bring something sturdy, reliable, and spacious! Make sure your bag has a thick strap, else a pickpocket could snap it right off.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: First of all, scarves! Scarves are everywhere in Paris. Even on Air France, the flight stewardesses wore them! Also, darker, more natural colors are more predominant in Paris fashion. As for shoes, make sure they are comfy! Most of the roads in Paris are cobblestone, and you will be walking constantly. However, I would advise against gym shoes, unless you want to look American... Comfy sandals, or tennis shoes (like Pumas) will help your feet feel better while fitting in with the Paris look.

Skinny jeans are in, so pack some of those if you have them. If not, darker colored jeans are more in style, without rips. Parisian women tend to dress up more. I also packed some flowing, long skirts for the hotter June weather.

Miscellaneous: Lastly, to save space, it is always a good idea to mix and match clothes. I did not pack a new outfit for each day. Re-wear clothes such as pants, skirts, and shirts to save valuable space. It will be worth it when you have more room for souvenirs. And when you don't have to pay a fee for overweight luggage!

• Study Abroad
    • Women's Travel

• Zanee's Profile Photo

When in Paris etc....

by Zanee Written Jul 17, 2007

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: As for clothes, I'd say dress up a bit - It's a stylish city and you feel more a part of it- rather than being just another flouro-clad tourist . I wouldn't be caught dead in 'leisure wear' anyway - I'm sure 'normal clothes' are just as comfortable:-). Thin layers are a good idea here , so you are prepared for all eventualities - and don't take too much , the same skirt /trousers can be worn for a few days - no-one will shout " hey , weren't you wearing that yesterday?"

• anacapa's Profile Photo

Bring a prop and work it!

by anacapa Updated Jun 2, 2006

Sophisticated Purse

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I suggest ditching the t-shirt for something w/ buttons. Add a little bit of style when travelling, especially in Europe. When will you be back? You want your future grandkids to see you stylin' back in the day... Or when you're showing your new girlfriend/boyfriend your photos from Europe you don't want to look like a dweeb in a t-shirt.

Miscellaneous: Bring a prop to photograph on your trip! Act like a model or a rock star. (just don't trash your hotel room)

I brought a purse a friend designed with me to Paris. I promised her I'd take photos of it in and around Paris for her marketing purposes. I had one day in Paris with friends from Berlin before we all split up. I got some amazing photos and memories from that one day because of the purse and the goal of modelling it in Paris. My friends got into the game and kept suggesting photos. It made taking photos feel less like a touristy thing and more like a game. We had fun with the photos and the results are better photos than what we might normally have taken. That translates into some great documentation of a great time. I highly suggest it!!

• Luxury Travel

• maritoni's Profile Photo

Black is beautiful in Paris

by maritoni Written May 14, 2005

check out the color of clothing

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: As we headed there during the winter, people are wearing black most of the time... Only colored accesories are the ones I saw as COLORED... Black is the color preferred as I can now understand why - because a stain or dirt is unnoticable in dark clothing... it also makes you look skinnier in photos... (smile)... Jacket, scarves, umbrella are a must during the winter season...

please consider not wearing a baseball hat, sweat pants, tennis shoes or you will be labeled as a tourist in Paris - or pickpockets can spot you as their next victim....

• TRimer's Profile Photo

Bring Your Nicer Clothes

by TRimer Updated Feb 3, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A good rule of thumb in Paris: don't evoke their stereotype of the American tourist and they won't evoke yours---that nasty, nasal Frenchman. With that in mind, try to blend in as much as possible. The French tend to dress more conservatively than people in other countries. Usually skirts or dresses for girls are more appropriate than short shorts and just as good in hot weather. Don't worry about overdressing; Parisians are very stylish, and even students dress well. Closed shoes, solid colored pants, and plain shirts are ideal, not baggy pants/jeans or tennis shoes.

• Canadian_girl's Profile Photo

I hate ironing...

by Canadian_girl Written Apr 3, 2003

Miscellaneous: But be sure to bring a travel iron with you!! I was dismayed to learn that apparently irons are not allowed in hotels in Paris, and therefore I couldn't borrow one from the front desk as I have always done in the past. This was a serious problem since I had a job interview early on Monday morning, and all the dry cleaners' / tailors are closed on Sundays! Ack!

• Business Travel

• kikita's Profile Photo

Chic, you say?

by kikita Written Feb 25, 2003

Ladies in Black...Euro Style!

Luggage and bags: I traveled light...black and tan were my major colors, choosing slacks and tops that I could team up for different outfits. I also took one dress for dinners out, a leather jacket, 2 scarfs, pajamas, a pair of black heels, black loafers, and toiletries. It all fit in a nice carry-on, and I wasn't weighed down by tons of luggage (something I despise!)

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: I visited Paris in July and I am SO glad that I took my leather jacket! It was quite chilly that month in 2000, especially for a Florida gal like me! I'm also happy that I by-passed my usual summer colors and stuck with black as my primary color scheme...as it turns out, I blended in just fine with the natives and didn't stick out like a sore thumb!

Instant Answers: Paris