Toiletries, Paris

by Voyageuse30
  • BeatChick's Profile Photo

Moleskin for those Pesky Feet Blisters

by BeatChick Updated Apr 4, 2011

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: To protect your feet from blisters, you'll want to use some Moleskin. This adhesive cotton padding is soft & puffy yet thin. You cut it out with a hole in the middle where your blister is. You don't cover the blister. This creates a raised area around the blister protecting it from pain while walking. You'll find this is definitely a lifesaver when walking many miles in Paris as you are certain to do. Some types of moleskin come precut but I prefer the roll so that I can cut out the sizes I need. I've used Dr. Scholls but there are sure to be other brands.

• Women's Travel
    • Hiking and Walking

• Ronza's Profile Photo

Medications and extra clothes

by Ronza Written Oct 29, 2010

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Even if you are visiting Paris during summer, make sure to have a light jacket coz the weather is really unpredictable.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: If you are living in Lebanon or any other country where you can get whatever medication you need from the pharmacy or drugstore, well this is not the case in France, most of medications cannot be delivered unless you have a doctor prescription.

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Do you floss?

by Beausoleil Written Jan 3, 2007

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: This may sound silly, but you can't buy dental floss in Paris . . . or anyplace in France that we have found. So if you floss your teeth (as you should), be sure to take an adequate supply of dental floss with you. One pack goes a long way and it is very small. It is not fun to run out if you are used to using it. We've checked groceries, discount stores, pharmacies, medical supply stores, literally any place we could think of where you can get it in the US and it simply was not available. We even knew the name in French because it's printed on our dental floss. It just doesn't seem to exist there.

• Business Travel

• anagrettel's Profile Photo

Small things, that make the difference.

by anagrettel Updated Oct 5, 2006

Jardins des Tuleries

Luggage and bags: A Backpack for a women is essencial. I don't use it at home, but during my travel my bagback was really helpful to carry from makeup to advil, wipe towels,maps, etc. Just make sure it's not easy to open for pickpockets, mine can't be open until you take it out of your sholders.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Walking shoes, not white sneakers.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I took my Advil travel size with me everywhere, I really use it! I had headache probably from the dehydratation (the sun was hot!) plus all my body was in pain adter all the walking.

Photo Equipment: All you can! If digital don't forget the charger and an extra battery in case the charger don't work as mine =(
    Memmory as much as you can. If you have a 35mm camera lots of film, color film and a couple of Black and white film are also helpful.

Miscellaneous: Umbrella. I also found this little travel bags with detergent at Wallmart and I took a few with me, it was the best thing I put on my luggage, well, that and the wipes or wet towels . I found them so helpful! To clean hands, my son's face, but most for the shoes. After walking at Jardin des Tuileries and many other places my shoes where all white. Many places have this walking areas with white sand and the shoes end up all cover in white.(You don't want to look like that in the pictures!)
    It's going to sound logic, but really; Don't forget the toothbrush, it always happend to me! But this time I forgot my hair comb too and suffer the consecuences, I end up buying one, mini size of really bad quality for 8 euros!
    Also a Map, I receive many at the hotel, tourist information, but the best was the one I buy before travel it was a pocket size pop up map. You don't look so bad trying to read a huge piece of paper, beacuse it;s smaall, easy to carry in your jeans, etc and it was easier to read.

• thinking's Profile Photo

Bring ZIPLOCK BAGS, KNIVE, MEASURING CUPS etc.

by thinking Updated Aug 16, 2006

Luggage and bags: Here you pay when you check out in a food store for a sack.
    Bring the free ones you have collected at home, or better yet, bring a shopping bag.
    You will need it here just to carry your purchases.
    Bring different sizes of ziplock bags which can be used to preserve your foods.
    If you are coming during the hot season, bring an insulated sack to keep your frozen things frozen.
    A serrated edged knive is very useful too, so bring that. You can buy a baguette for around 1 euro, and cut it
    in two for the beginnings of a great sandwich. Take a look around Paul's or other shops for your luncheon
    inspiration. Napkins are also a good idea if you are going to eat your picnic properly. Many of these items
    can also be purchased at the market.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: The weather in Paris changes rapidly! Bring a small weightless umbrella that provides coverage from the sun as well
    as the rain, and a lite weight jacket in the summer.
    July was hot this year, but August is very cool, just like late fall!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Do not rely on buying anything here that you really use and need.
    Often, the store hours are short and the vacation periods long!
    To adjust to their hours is stressful if you are used to a 24/7 city.
    Vitamens, contact lense solution are very costly here.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: If you are going to stay here for some months or more, do bring your own measuring cups and
    coookbooks. You can always translate the English/US system into the metric, but in the beginning, it is just too stressful with so much adaptation taking place.

Miscellaneous: Bring essential ingredients for your favorite ethnic foods.
    For example:
    Jalapeno peppers in a can are not sold here.
    They are essential to making guacamole, which I love to prepare for guests.

There are no sweet pickles or sweet pickle relish is France. There are also no dill pickles here. (La russe doux is not sweet pickles, but it is the only sweet pickle in France!

Lastly, bring your own organic regular oatmeal. They only have quick cooking oats in 500 gram packages!
    Since the days of being a professional model and a lover of good nutrition, I eat the stuff everyday-not croissants.
    I do not intend to change this habit to one of a quick expresso and pastry. I love myself too much for that!
    The best price for the oatmeal (.85 cents) is at FranPrix, and the worst price (2.75 euros) is at Monoprix and
    everywhere else that I have shopped. They have no regular cooking oats in France, just the quick cooking ones.
    Why?Because they don't eat a hearty breakfast here.

• Business Travel
    • Work Abroad

• aemilys's Profile Photo

No blistex in France

by aemilys Updated Oct 28, 2005

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: If you use Blistex on a regular basis make sure to bring some with you. I went to the website and they say that their products are available in France but I've never seen it anywhere. (I am referring to the lip ointment kind that you can use not only for chapped lips but as a smoother before putting on your lipstick).

My sisters send it to me on a regular basis, it is really the best and nothing here can compare.

• Women's Travel

• texaslloyd's Profile Photo

Our aches and pains

by texaslloyd Written Jun 20, 2005

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: For some reason we experienced our most aches and pains in Paris. I pack an assortment of Motrin, nausea/upset stomach medicine, and bandaids..they all came in handy. In a pinch, I used cold beer bottles from the minibar, placed them on each side of my ankel and wrapped them in place with a pillow case (my homemade ice pack for my ankel).

• Voyageuse30's Profile Photo

Some good packing ideas (besides the obvious)...

by Voyageuse30 Updated Mar 9, 2004

Great street map of Paris

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: This is just my humble opinion, but try to blend in with the crowd, instead of wearing loud flashy clothing (such as neon windbreakers, baseball caps and colorful tennis shoes- typical American casual wear). Just dress neutrally.
    It's always better, I think, to blend in instead of looking like a person who is obviously NOT from the area. It's better for your own safety, and maybe people will even mistake you for a local. :-)

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring any specific medications you need. If you happen to catch a cold or flu during your stay in Paris (like I did,bummer!), you can go to the pharmacies (marked with a lit green cross) and find over-the-counter medications to help you out. The pharmacists know their stuff.

Photo Equipment: Film is expensive in Paris. Bring a digital camera or your own film.

Miscellaneous: The photo is of the map I use when getting around Paris. It hasn't failed me yet.
    Most major bookstores sell it.

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

The Absolute Cure For Jet Lag

by Krystynn Written Dec 18, 2003

Miscellaneous: Melatonin. Yes, Melatonin is the answer to all jet lag problems. It is a hormone produced by the pineal gland in the brain. It helps to control the body’s sleep/wake cycle. By resetting the body’s internal clock, melatonin can treat the underlying cause of all jet lag problems, which is the disruption of the natural sleep/wake cycle.

A good time to call your family doctor is now.

Instant Answers: Paris