Altitude 95, Paris

• Altitude 95
    by MissHannah
  • altitude 95: dont bother

by mick173 Written Sep 1, 2008

i paid 225 euros for 3 people to eat here, my son was still hungry so we got some french fries later,the food was ok. the worst was i had to pay another 5 euro each to get up there.i would much rather recommend the boat trip on the seine

Favorite Dish: my favorite dish was the salmon starter

• janiac's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: Worth the trip

by janiac Written Mar 24, 2008

View from the restaurant

The food was good. I had the pot roast, my daughter had the roast chicken, and my son had the hamburger, which was on the child's menu, but he's a child about his choices in food and they indulged him. The view is nice and when you have reservations here, you get to skip the long, long lines to buy tickets and to go up, making the cost of the food quite worth it.

Favorite Dish: The chocolate cake that came with the pot roast meal was very good.

• Altitude 95: How ma ny MENUs are there ?

by CMagalha Written Feb 27, 2008

I have seen several good ratings, but the menus are not clear, even looking at the restaurant website.

Some info says EUR 35 ou EUR 60 for a standard menu. However, there is a "a la carte" menu also, showing several prices.

Can someone help here ?

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: Go For the View - DON'T Stay for the Food!

by TravellerMel Written Jan 7, 2008

Altitude 95

I came here with a tour - eat dinner at the Eiffel Tower, then show at the Moulin Rouge. First of all, the Eiffel Tower is stunning - the view from the restaurant is breathtaking. The decor of the restaurant is lovely. The food was - just OK. We started with a pumpkin soup that was tasty, but the entree was a chicken dish that was chicken and rice with white gravy on a white plate. Very blah. The dessert was wonderful - a warm chocolate cake with hot chocolate pudding inside, topped with vanilla ice cream. Really, the dessert was quite good.

I suspect that the meal we received was a "tourist special" and perhaps the food would have been better if we came by ourselves and ordered off the menu. As it stands though, I would not return. I checked out the menu online while preparing to write this review, and I have to say the US$66 that I paid would have been better spent elsewhere. I'm glad I went once, but won't go back.

Favorite Dish: The moelleux du chocolat, glace a la vanille Bourbon dessert I had was scrumptious! The warm cake and the ice cream - well, it was perfection on a plate!

• Altitude 95 - Eiffel Tower: A HUGE JOKE OF A RESTAURANT

by MissHannah Written Jan 7, 2008

A massive disapointment!
    Reservations weeks in advance for new years day set menu (165 Euros). Arrived at Eiffel Tower to find that entrance area for restaurant is IMPOSSIBLE to find, finally found spot, its very hidden, only to find out we had to pay an additional 10 Euros for the elevator, crammed on elevator like sardines. Got to restaurant, ABSOLUTE CHAOS, waited 30 minutes in a jam packed lobby with other reservation holders while hostess tried to make sense of everyone's reservation. Fight in lobby ensued between two women and three men....lots of name calling, etc....it was insanity!! Finally called up into restaurant only to discover we were sitting no where near a window, so NO view....went to pull out chairs to sit down, both chairs were ripped up and being held together with duct tape. No acknowledgment by staff for over 30 minutes. Bathroom filthy. Came back to table, still no staff. Finally received ONE dried up bun to share between us, no butter. People all around us were highly complaining as well.....one woman was referring to the Altitude 95 restaurant as the "Attitude 95 restaurant". Small glass of champagne arrived when we paid for a bottle. Meals arrived at least an hour and a half into sitting there and were mediocre. Dessert arrived, my husbands was not at all what it was described on menu as. Huge confusion over bill, as we had paid by credit card online and of course we had our paperwork thank goodness showing this........no good byes when we left.

Favorite Dish: Nothing

• Architecture

• Altitude 95: Don't both, not worth the money or time...

by eroc38 Written Sep 23, 2007

This will be short and sweet. My wife and I were in Paris for our honeymoon, so this was quite diappointing. We got there about 20 minutes before our 9:00 reservations and was greated by the hostess who was not very friendly. She said we could sit by the bar and order a drink or wait outside until 9:00. We waited at the bar and asked for a drink (and was told to wait a minute). Well, that minute become 15 so we went out and just took in the beauty of Paris at night for a few. THEN, the cattle car was emptied. Basically people were called by name and we were among the first seated. I say this because we were the last to be addressed by our waitress (who was also the manager on duty). We sat there as people whoe were seated 5-10 minutes were approached for their drink orders and served their drinks. After 25 (and I am not exagerating because we were seated at 9:05) we got up to leave (I told my wife I would wait until 9:30). We then asked to speak to the manager as we got to the receptionist post...the manager could care less. My wife was quite upset and after we spoke to the manager and after she said, "well you are not the only ones in the restaurant", we quietly left. Not what I expected.

Basically, Paris was overall great. We speak a little french and tried our best and got along very well, but this place was an anomoly. You would expect a lot more if you plan on dropping 200 euro. Paris is a great city with great food and great wait staff...I would recommend you look elsewhere for a romantic experience.

• crodri1's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: Great views, good food and wine

by crodri1 Written Apr 5, 2007

sign above restaurant

Altitude 95 is not the nicest restaurant in the Eiffel Tower and it does seem to show its age when you sit in a torn booth seat and the table is severely scratched up. But the ambiance is good and the views are spectacular when you sit for a 7pm reservation in the spring. We were able to see the sun set, so had views from our seats for both the day and night.

We knew we were going to spend well over 100 euros for the two of us, so we were not at all surprised by the prices of this restaurant. The fixed menu is 50 euros and the wine is 25+ euros per bottle.

*We had our 1 year old son with us and were still able to have a very nice evening without feeling like we were bothering the other patrons. I informed them that we would have a baby with us beforehand, so they were able to place us in almost our own little private area and provided a highchair. The waiters were all very nice to our son and attempted to entertain him when they came by the table.

Favorite Dish: I've only been once so I can't say this is a favorite dish, but I did enjoy my food and would recommend it for someone else.

I ordered the fixed menu and chose: the foie gras, tenderloin beef with polenta fries, and the cheesecake. My husband did not do the fixed menu and ordered: the carrot soup, the roasted chicken with rissoto, and the chocolate cake with bourbon ice cream. We also shared a bottle of chablis. We were not dissappointed with anything that we ordered and ate every bite.

It was my first time to ever have foie gras and I can honestly say that I absolutely loved it!!

• alycat's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: One of the many

by alycat Updated Feb 1, 2007

Atop Eiffel

We had a grub in this restaurant when on the eiffel tower. But frankly seeing the list that VT has of eat outs, there are thousands of hotels and restaurants in Paris, and I haven‘t tried them all, anyone who claims to be an expert on hotels and restaurants is lying, unless he evaluates such establishments for a living (the only way he could ever get enough experience to qualify as an expert).

Your best bet is a good travel guide, like the one is chanced my eyes upon at Nord station, the Michelin guide.

I‘ve always been puzzled in particular by people who ask residents of a city for advice on hotels. A resident, I think, is just about the last person to ask about hotels in the city, since he usually has a place of his own and has never stayed in any of the city‘s hotels. Asking about restaurants isn‘t quite as bizarre, but still, most residents have just a few favorite restaurants, and have never even many. So asking Parisians about Paris hotels (or, to a lesser extent, restaurants) is often a waste of time.

• Altitude 95: DO NOT EAT HERE.

by Jackie1009 Written Dec 26, 2006

On 12/18/2006 my family and were a part of a tour group from the UK to Paris. We had lunch at Altitude 95. It cost 200 USD for the 4 of us and was most definately NOT worth the money. The wait staff was inattentive and rather rude. The pinnacle of our experience came when my monther had asked for tea instead of the espresso at the end of the meal. The waiter cursed at her and snatched the espresso away. About 2 hours after drinking her tea she became violently ill. She was the only one of 14 people to experience this and all 14 people ate the exact same thing (the only exception being the tea). Needless to say we suspect the waiter put something in her tea.

There are many other eating establishments around the area with more reasonable prices and better service. I highly suggest finding one of those.

• LilLibellule's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: Dine here for the View ONLY

by LilLibellule Written Nov 15, 2006

The food here is acceptable, nothing more. The real draw, of course, is what lies outside the windows. Nothing stood out amongst the appetizers or entrees. The steak frites is good. The wine list features many items that are available in the States. Don't order the Ile Flottante (Floating Island) for dessert. The meringue is made in huge blocks and cut ahead of time, so that when it arrives at your table the edges are hard and dry.

• william_navigator's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: Altitude 95 at Eiffel Tower

by william_navigator Written Jan 1, 2006

View from restaurant

At the first floor of the Eiffel Tower. It has stunning views of the Seine and the Trocadero. Interior is Art Deco style. Their website refers to the atmosphere like being inside an airship moored over Paris.

Favorite Dish: Good but unremarkable.

• Goner's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: You can say you ate in the Eiffel Tower

by Goner Written Mar 28, 2005

Filming on a building

Altitutde 95 is located on the first floor of the Eiffel Tower. The name comes from its height, 95 meters above sea level. The large bay windows of the restaurant look out over the Seine and the Trocadéro to one side and the inside of the Tower to the other. The atmosphere is reminiscent of an airship moored above Paris. The restaurant is large and seats around 200 there is also a ground floor bar that serves drinks and refreshments all day.

Favorite Dish: We only had a drink here, the food did look good.

• ChicBaby's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: Altitude 95 is VERY kid-friendly!

by ChicBaby Written Feb 24, 2005

Fish Parmentier

This restaurant is VERY kid-friendly and reasonable. We went for lunch and we had a terrific view, meal and service. They also had a high chair and this is something that later we found out was a real treat to have! All staff were very playful and attentive to our toddler. They would try to talk to him in French or the little English they knew. They also picked up toys that our son would throw on the floor. We ordered the kid’s meal (9.50 E) for our son: chicken, fries, dessert, a drink. It was quite good. We had a taste of course! The kid’s meal and drink came out surprisingly fast. I suppose they know that they need to provide rapid service to kids! For us we decided on the set menu “The Duo Menu” (21.50 E) where you choose two courses. My husband chose the Raw Oysters and Lamb Navarin with Tomato. I chose the Fish Parmentier and Floating Island. The food came out quickly as well and the sauces were excellent and meats fresh. The floating island was not what I expected or liked, so I wouldn’t have that again. Otherwise, I loved my fish and my husband enjoyed his lamb. There were other families with children but our son was the youngest there. We didn’t have to make a reservation because it was low season and not 12 noon.

Favorite Dish: The fish was mixed with mashed pot. and topped with a butter rich sauce. Yum!

• neilward's Profile Photo

Altitude 95: Got to do it !!!!!

by neilward Written Jul 18, 2004

mmmmmmmmmmm

We had lunch here,after reading some great tips from other VTers.
    I had to book the day before,although it wasnt crowded there,but i do recommend booking,got to the booking confirmation hut between two towers at the bottom,paid 4 euros for the lift ticket,went to the front of the queue and up we went.
    There were people from all over the world giving it a real cosmopolitan feeling.
    The views are very worthwhile ,on a clear day you could see for miles/kilometers !!!!

Favorite Dish: The Onion soup was a bit disapointing,especially after reading great reviews from VT,for the main courses we had pan fried fillet steak in a cream and mushroom sauce and a delicious pork dish.

• Altitude 95: Not worth it

by ParisStudent Written Mar 29, 2004

When we called for reservations, they said they couldn't take us before 9pm, but when we got there the restaurant was mostly empty. Despite the lack of diners, the waiters were very slow in attending to us. After reading the reviews on this site, I was expecting a fantastic meal with my fantastic view, but the dinner wasn't very good at all. My friend's dish came lukewarm, and both our dishes came on a flavorless and heavy bed of mashed kidney beans, which also accompanied the main courses of the couple next to us, even though we all had 4 different dishes. For the price I wasn't exactly expecting Jules Verne quality, but our dishes were just plain BAD. I knew it was a bad sign when I walked in and spotted a card in the "Give us your suggestions" box that was marked "mauvais" all the way down the column...

Instant Answers: Paris