Angelina, Paris

226 rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris

• Angelina
    by virtualtanielle
  • Angelina Salon de Thé, Hot Chocolate, Paris, 07/08
    Angelina Salon de Thé, Hot Chocolate,...
    by von.otter
  • Angelina
    by virtualtanielle
  • von.otter's Profile Photo

Angelina: Hot Chocolate and More

by von.otter Written Mar 17, 2009

Angelina, Salon de Th��, Entrance, Paris, 07/08

“If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?”
    — Marie, Marquise de Sévigné, (1626-1696)

Founded in 1903, Angelina is a grand spot to stop for a hot chocolate on a chilly Paris afternoon. Located on touristy Rue de Ravioli, the main street that travels alongside the Louvre, this majestic salon de thé is worth a visit. There is sometimes a cue, but there is a rich reward for the wait. You can order a hot drink and dessert or a main course, or both.

The food is very good but their specialty is hot chocolate. Thick and luscious, this chocolate drink is unlike anything you have tasted before. Unlike other watered-down hot chocolates, Angelina’s really does tastes like sweet melted chocolate. The chocolate drinks are served with a mountain of whipped cream! Try the Chocolat African, the piece de resistance on the hot chocolate menu.

Angelina is also known for another specialty, the Mont Blanc, a muffin-like concoction made of sugar, milk, butter and chestnut paste. Salads, sandwiches, and quiche are also on the menu.

If you can put off your afternoon meal the service is better around teatime than in the morning, when a rush of tourists descends on the place.

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate and Mont Blanc

• moe0875's Profile Photo

Angelina: Best hot chocolate on earth

by moe0875 Written Dec 27, 2008

This is the place for the best hot chocolate I have ever had.
    Very thick and rich… make sure you didn't eat for couple of days before you order the house special Mont Blanc cake made of whipped cream and chestnuts cream... I had an easy Ramadan fasting after that, i stayed full for few months!!!

• odysseus_23's Profile Photo

Angelina's: is chocolate better than sex?

by odysseus_23 Updated Apr 30, 2008

well, the title is sure to create a headache for me, but it sure can't rival the buzz that THAT sinful concoction cafe Angelina on Rue de Rivoli serves. wanted to really call the topic choc-orga..., but well felt that it would cause a serious headache, firstly coz les femmes would agree and then les hommes would disagree.. and the world would of course spin on its routine axis!!
    anyhoo, THIS IS SERIOUSLY THE BEST CHOCOLAT!!-now if they only served Johnny Depp with it...it (le chocolat-besides of course cher Johnny)gives you the most divine sugar high followed by a seriously decadent crash that just makes you want to loll around.i can't even post my picture.. coz i really look so blissful that even i feel guilty.
    the place should be declared a gastronomique pilgrimage site.. the staff was incredibly pleasant and helpful, the place is within a 10 min walk of the louvre, can u imagine-da vinci, botticelli,carravaggio, rembrandt, .....and angelina's !!!!
    hmm, when am i returning to la Paris again???
    c'est l'Amour de la cite

Favorite Dish: CHOCOLAT CHOCOLAT CHOCOLAT-the rest ain't 2 bad either, but really-the CHOCOLAT ANGELINA-that's what its called

• Angelina: Best Hot Chocolate Ever!

by rebnnix Written Jan 11, 2008

After reading everything about this place, we couldn't wait to give it a try. We weren't disappointed. The hot chocolate truly is to die for. It was such a lovely respite from the hustle and bustle outisde also.

Favorite Dish: Hot Chocolate! Rich, creamy, decadent- it even feels like a splurge!

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Angelina: This is the place for Hot Chocolate

by jlanza29 Updated May 19, 2007

worth every penny !!!!

Ok...so if you have to spend 7.50 Euro's about $9 US for a cup of hot chocolate then this is the only place in Paris worth paying for it !!!! Located near the Lourve on the Rue de Rivoli.......it a must for a Paris experience....the sit down service is great and menu's have english translations....but the thing to do here is too have a cup of hot chocolate.....the word PERFECT can't discribe how AWESOME it is here !!!! A MUST DO WHEN in PARIS !!!!!

Favorite Dish: as you enter the restaurant a huge counter greets you with the most delicous chocolates in all of Paris !!!! from small boxes to large ones...this is great place to buy and eat these wonderful treats !!!! Be ready to pay thru the roof for them....200 grams...20 Euro's WOW !!!!

• londonlover's Profile Photo

Angelina: Does chocolate get better than this?

by londonlover Updated Jan 6, 2007

Liquid paradise!

I had a whole list of possible places to eat on my one day in Paris, and I am so glad we decided on Angelina. Besides looking like a doll house, with its marble, gilded ironwork, and mirrors, I had the best hot chocolate of my life here!

Americans, do be aware that the servers here do not appear to speak fluent English. I ordered in broken French, and thankfully that was good enough for our waitress, who spoke to us mostly in French herself. Most of the menu does have English descriptions as well as French.

Favorite Dish: The Chocolat Africains, which is most closely related to hot chocolate, but ten times better...a thick, creamy, intense pitcher of chocolate served with a whole parfait glass of rich whipped cream. Amazing.

• Angelina: Slightly overrated....

by warsash29 Written Nov 6, 2006

Hot chocolate

After reading tons of reviews about the legendary hot chocolate at Angelinas, I knew I had to go there and try it for myself with hubby. The line was pretty short (lucky for us as when we passed by again the next day the line was 5 times as long!!) and we got seated quickly. We debated for ages whether to order 2 hot chocolates or share one. Finally, we ordered 2 hot chocolates and a mont blanc. The hot chocolate was brought in a pitcher type thing with whipped cream. To be honest I've had better hot chocolate elsewhere, like in Spain. Yes it tastes like melted chocolate bars, but not milk chocolate (which is MY favorite) but more like DARK chocolate. The drink was very rich and slightly bitter. The serving for 2 gives you 2 tea cups full per person - way too much. We wished we had only ordered 1 serving - too rich to finish. The Mont Blanc however was to die for! I wish we had ordered just that without the hot chocolate so we could have enjoyed it better. One mont blanc will easily serve two - especially if you're getting the hot chocolate also. we didnt finish it because we had become overwhelmed by the hot chocolate - shame. So go experience it because it is a really nice place, but for heaven's sake, just order 1 serving of hot chocolate and see if you like it first - you can always order more if you love it!

• Anya_D's Profile Photo

Angelina: Hot Chocolate

by Anya_D Updated Sep 8, 2006

There is always a queue there. You may have to wait 10-15 minutes. This is a very touristy place. I do not like such places, but my friend said we should go, so we went there.

It is somewhere in Rue de Rivoli opposite Tuilries gardens, close to Concord.

Favorite Dish: They say the best hot chocolate in Paris is served in this place. Maybe it's true. What they have is their specialty "Hot Chocolate Africano (? - do not remember the name correctly but something about Africa"), and a dessert "Monblan". Monblan was delicious, "African" hot chocolate too, but a way too thick for me. They serve it in a big pot (enough for 2 big cups) with water and veeery thick cream! Increadible. But worth trying. Once. Afer Angelina, I feel totally fed up with hot chocolate:) for the nearest future at least.

• Angelina: Don't Miss the Best Chocolate in Paris

by Aamoss Written Aug 15, 2006

I was referred to Angelina's for the best chocolate in Paris. Angelina's is not only the best for chocolate it also has great food. We stopped in for lunch and the food was delicious. The hot chocolate is to die for.

Favorite Dish: I had the veal which was very tender and had a great taste.

• Angelina: Lovely restaurant but....

by southgator Written Jul 4, 2006

I read and heard so many great things about the hot chocolate here. It was near our hotel so we stopped in late in the afternoon. Lovely atmosphere, but sorry.........I did not like the hot chocolate africains. It was not sweet enough for me and almost had a mocha taste to it. However, my grandson drank it and loved it. Just a matter of taste! The pastries were to die for and service excellent. Also no air conditioning on a very hot day.

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Angelina's Salon du The: For Chocolate Addicts

by Rixie Updated May 27, 2006

Chocolat chaud at Angelina's

Angelina's is a very ritzy place -- gilt and mirrors; think high tea and blue-haired ladies in Ferragamo shoes -- but not at all snooty. When all seven of us trooped in, the waitress didn't bat an eyelash.

I heard that since our last visit, Angelina's has been sold to the owners of Lipp. I hope that the chocolate hasn't changed.

Favorite Dish: Angelina's is famous for its chocolat chaud. It costs 6.5 Euros per person but is so worth it! It comes in pitchers and is THE best hot chocolate I've ever tasted.

It was like smooth liquid fudge, served with generous dollops of whipped cream. It was a whole meal in itself, and even the hardcore chocoholics in the group (naming no names) were chocolated out.

• fossettes's Profile Photo

Angelina: Can there possibly be too much chocolate?

by fossettes Written Apr 3, 2006

There are many places in Paris said to have the best chocolat chaud (hot chocolate). My girlfriend's favorite is Lenôtre, specifiacally the location on Rue Cler. Another loves the chocolat served at her corner cafe. But for me, and a lot of others, the best, most decedant chocolat chaud served in Paris as at Agelina.

First, the room is charming in a shabby chic sort of way, after all it's been keeping Parisiens and visitors happy since 1903. And it's the whole experience of the service. What makes their chocolat different? The chocolate tastes as if it was just melted (or concocted) as it was brought to your table. It is rich and velvety beyond compare. It is accompanied by a pitcher of whipped (unsweetened) cream. Then you play mad chemist (or chocoholic) and make your mixture. You won't forget it!

I have enjoyed the chocolat chaud at any time of day. As a start to a busy day early in the morning to with croissants, for lunch, after enjoying a delicious quiche Lorraine, and in the afternoon, after a chilly walk in the nearby Tuilleries. There is often a line here, which should tell you soething!

If you LOVE chocolate, make the time to include Angelina in your plans...you won't be sorry!

Favorite Dish: In case you couldn't figure it out, my favorite "dish" here is the chocolat chaud!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Angelina: Chocolate to die for! *1e

by shrimp56 Updated Apr 3, 2006

Mont Blanc & Madeleine

I had heard so much about Angelina's that by the time I got there I was underwhelmed. The surrounding seemed a bit worn and the service was far from solicitous. I was not up for the hot chocolate, needing, as I did, a caffeine jolt, but I did taste my companions -- it certainly is rich and yummy -- but a whole cup? We had between us the pictured "Mont Blanc", a whipped cream concoction covered in chestnut paste [MUCH too sweet for me ...] and the madeline [dry] I WANTED to love Angelina's, but I didn't.

• billtei's Profile Photo

Angelina: Best hot chocolate on earth!

by billtei Updated Feb 28, 2006

We stumbled upon here on our way to Le Louvre around 10:30AM, no waiting- got right in! I'm not much of a chocoholic (although my wife has been known to indulge), but the chaud chocolat was INCREDIBLE! According to the menu, it's a 100-year old recipe that's zealously guarded. Pastries were delicious too. A bit pricey but not outrageous- must try!

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate of course.

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

Angelina: Lives up to its Reputation - Fabulous!

by Albernfrau Written Jan 21, 2006

Angelina's is as great as everyone says it is. Eating there was the highlight of my trip. Although there can be a line it moves quickly. The menu is fabulous as there is so much to choose from. The service is wonderful and the decor is beautiful.

Favorite Dish: Boeuf, bernaise, gratin
    Poulet fermier roti

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Angelina
3.5 out of 5 stars