Angelina, Paris

226 rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris

• Angelina
    by virtualtanielle
  • Angelina Salon de Thé, Hot Chocolate, Paris, 07/08
    Angelina Salon de Thé, Hot Chocolate,...
    by von.otter
  • Angelina
    by virtualtanielle
  • mariev's Profile Photo

Angelina: Don't cry for me Angelina

by mariev Updated Oct 31, 2005

Caf�� Angelina

Don't cry for me Angelina...
    I'm sure i still will come back

Despite having gone a bit way down in the last years, the salon de thé/patisserie "Angelina" remains THE temple of hot chocolate (even if the new recipe they introduced some years ago contains way too much sugar for my taste)

This venerable institution (formerly maison Rumpelmeyer) is interesting, not only for the chocolate and the pastries, but also for the patrons : you will come across - among the crowds - celebrities (past, present and wannabe), real "grandes dames" and "p'tites mamies" (and, of course, tourists)

You go there, for the deco, for the name, for the casting, to say you have been there, and, eventually, to eat a morsel.

OK, enough bad things said : the pastries are adequate (even excelent if you like them VERY VERY sweeet (i don't - prefering the -unkilled- strong cacao taste)) and you can't beat the location - under Rue de Rivoli's archway - to have either a light lunch or an afternoon coffee(chocolate) break.

A rather good new is the change of owner end 2004, this may give a new impulse to the tired staff (and the dusty carpets)

PS : closed on tuesday in summer

Favorite Dish: The house speciality : "l'Africain" a thick hot chocolate
    Among the pastries : the "Mont-Blanc" : creamy chocolate cake

You can also have a light lunch or just buy some patries or chocolate (powder or plates) to take away

• svoures's Profile Photo

Angelina: Angelina: A 'MUST GO' place

by svoures Written Aug 25, 2005

The best way to start your morning is to have a hot chocolate drink at the ‘must visit’ Angelina, at 226 rue de Rivoli. The whole atmosphere of the place adds to the experience.

The service is also second to none. We visited the place on two consecutive days and the maitre immediately recognised us on the second day and sat us on a table in no time.

While enjoying another jug of the heavenly chocolate drink, another maitre brought a second jug of chocolate (!!!), compliment of the first maitre for us being regulars at the place.

Do not leave Paris until you visit this place.

Favorite Dish: We tried the signature products of this popular tea salon. ‘Le Chocolat Africain’ was a jug of real thick hot chocolate, served with a pot of whipped cream, so you can make your own cup. It tasted fantastic and as my friend said, it can make any woman forget her stress and her man!!

We also tried the ‘Fragilite Pistache’ which was a slice of dessert with pistachio flavour and another signature dessert of that place, ‘Mont Blanc’, a meringue base piled with chestnut puree and whipped cream. Bost fantastic.

You can also buy a box of their home made chocolates to take with you.

• ChicBaby's Profile Photo

Angelina: Elegant yet kid-friendly

by ChicBaby Written Mar 4, 2005

Le Chocolat Africain, Fragilite pis&pain au choco

The line was out the door but we waited because we heard that we had to try Le Chocolat Africain.It was hard for our toddler to wait to fifteen minutes and we managed to avoid any meltdowns. We were seated towards the rear of the tea salon and the first thing I noticed is that the tables and floors were not clean. The table was still a bit sticky and the floor needed a cleaning. I suppose all of this is expected when there is so much traffic going in and out of this place! The waitress came quickly and took out order. We ordered the Le Chocolat Africain 6.20 E, Fragilite Pistache 5.70E , and Pain au Chocolat 2.60E. The hot chocolate lived up to its hype and we enjoyed sipping the thick, liquid. Angelina’s serves Teas (4.25 to 6E), Patisseries (2.50 – 6.20E), Ice Cream (6.20 – 7.70E), Salads (5.90 – 21.50E), Fish (14.80 – 27E), Meats (13.50 – 21E), Quiches (8.40 – 9.90E), Sandwiches (5.90 – 9.65E), and Cheese (5.75). Although I read that this tearoom was kid-friendly I only saw 1 other child and she was around 8 years of age. The atmosphere was very formal and my husband really didn’t want to go in because he felt uncomfortable. There were tons of other tourists as well as locals in there for tea and light lunch but they were all without children. Although the décor looked as if it demanded at least a button down shirt and slacks, and believe me there were quite a few people dressed in suits and dresses, but there were tons of tourists wearing jeans. The staff was very kind to us and even gave me a chair so I could sit while waiting in line because I was holding my son. We left the stroller in an area the Maitre’d created for us. Our son loved the hot chocolate and desserts and he was certainly accommodated but we felt uneasy. Overall, we did have a lovely time but the hot chocolate is best enjoyed slowly and it is close to impossible to do this if you have a toddler. We would do it all again and I would recommend everyone to go here because the food, drink, and service was excellent.

Favorite Dish: We only had 3 items and I would recommend the Le Chocolat Africain ( “the”hot chocolate) 6.20 E and Fragilite Pistache 5.70E. Both had rich and strong flavors that are unique and yummy! The Le Chocolat Africain is so thick and rich. Just sip it and let it settle. Drinking it too quickly might make you sick.

• jnyvegas's Profile Photo

Angelina: The Best Afrikan hot chocolate!!

by jnyvegas Written Jan 25, 2005

Make sure to order the Afrikan hot chocolate and mix lots of the whip cream in with it. The hot chocolate is so decantly thick and delicous its a meal in itself. But if you do have room order a Croque Monsieur.

• skywalkerbeth's Profile Photo

Angelina: I died and went to heaven

by skywalkerbeth Updated Jan 6, 2005

Jardin des Tuileries, close by...

I always seemed to miss this on my trips. I do remember a few times showing up way too early and peering longingly inside the windows. My trip in June however I made a point of going, with my guide. Oh my dear sweet Lord. How did I ever miss this place?

Favorite Dish: The rich and creamy hot chocolate. I don't remember the specific name, drat!

update: Beatchick informs me it was L'Africain. You cannot miss this. You may want to order a brioche with it, it is sooo rich and creamy, having something a little less "mouth-feel" is a good contrast.

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Angelina: Old-world Tearoom

by CALSF Updated Sep 13, 2004

Angelina's is located across from the Tuileries Gardens and the Louvre so it's got a really great location. It's a Parisian institution that has been in existence since 1903.

There is usually alot of people who frequent Angelina's, a mix of tourists and locals-usually the 'grand dames' of Paris.

The tearoom's decor is like the original Laduree tearoom: plush with mirrored walls and small marble tables.

Caveat: When we were there last (long time ago in 1991) they seated us upstairs. Wait for a table in the main salon instead! Upstairs was dark and empty. We eventually asked to be seated down in the main salon when a table became available.

Favorite Dish: Angelina's is famous for the chocolat africain which is like a chcolate bar (or a few bars) melted in a pot and served with whipped cream. Yes, it is good but overly sweet!

• Angelina: The best chocolat chaux (hot chocolate)!!!

by HarmonyALZ Written Oct 8, 2003

The best hot chocolate you will ever taste! Nothing like they have in the U.S. If you order the hot chocolate, it is actually called "le chocolat africain", I believe.

The atmosphere is very pleasant, and the decor is very beautiful. Dim lighting, antique looking furniture, and mirrors. A very romantic, yet busy setting.

Favorite Dish: It's all about the hot chocolate! This is what this cafe is famous for!

• Well, there are so many of...

by Yseut Written Aug 26, 2002

Well, there are so many of them... Let's say, don't leave Paris if you haven't paid a visit to La Durée (or Pierre Hermé's Pâtisserie) or Angelina. There are alos lots of nice restaurants in the Montorgueil street, in Bastille or in the Quartier Latin.
    There are lots of excellent restaurants in Paris, just try. Maybe you'll be disappointed, maybe you'll discover the 'perle rare'.

Favorite Dish: Too many.
    In La Durée, try the Macaron, in Angelina, drink a hot chocolate !

• Nalle_Bear's Profile Photo

or the chocolate buns
    or the chocolate ...

Favorite Dish: the CHOCOLATE

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Angelina
3.5 out of 5 stars