Au Sergent Recruteur, Paris

• Au Sergent Recruteur
    by Radiomom
  • Au Sergent Recruteur
    by Azhut
  • Le Sergent Recruteur: Totally new owners and menu!

by KarenT37 Written Nov 1, 2012

The old Taverne Sergent Recruteur was gutted and has now re opened as Le Sergent Recruteur. The chefs (French and British) have moved back from a Michelin starred run in London and bring that expertise to the new menu. It's a whole new experience and one that is worth repeating.

• mariev's Profile Photo

Au Sergent Recruteur: Tourist trap or restaurant ?

by mariev Updated Mar 15, 2010

Not bad from outside

Should I put this under tourists traps or restaurants ? or under"things to do" (for masochists that is)

I always kept hearing bad things (like : no parisian in his/her right mind would go there) about this place and was never interested in eating there, but a visiting friend (whose name and nationality will be kept secret – he has been punished enough for inflicting this upon us) got a recommendation from a friend’s friend and we decided to see if this was really SOOOOO BAD !!!…

At any rate, SABENA ! (no not the defunct airline but Such A Bad Experience Never Again).

To make a long story short, if you want gatronomy, better go to McD (at least it’s cheaper) or the RU (university cafeteria) (that’s gastronomy when you compare).

The restaurant is more than noisy, invaded by bus groups and brit stag nights (we were 2 lost frenchies among some 80 people), and if you add the ‘drink all you can’ option, you get the picture…

About the food (only one fixed price option : 45 Euros, wine and beer included (unnamed wine - better keep it unnamed (but you have to pay for water)) : huge plates (starters are ‘all you can eat’), gross, overcooked meat, industrial bread, rare greasy vegetables swimming in a fat bland sauce or served raw in a basket… BEURK! (in English : Yuck!) - I know, the concept is supposed to be a "gargotte", but...

The setting (Ile Saint Louis) and the deco are interesting and some people seemed even to LOVE the ambiance (to each his/her own tastes, if you are a drunken rugbyman, it may be your style)……..(and if you like this type of place, you have "Nos Ancetres les Gaulois nearby (i didn't go there since my student's years but it is said unchanged, same style, same price).

Favorite Dish: Perhaps the bread ... (they don't do it themselves it seems)
    and....
    The tap water is acceptable

• Au Sergent Recruteur - Paris: Great Service

by MikeM2 Written Nov 29, 2009

I love this place - I first went in September 1964 - enjoyed the style. decor and ambience of the restaurant and found the way they serve enjoyably different from the norm.

(the nearest, similar in style is Durgin Park in Boston - 1992 visit) but I digress...

On a visit to Paris in early 1990 with my schoolboy 'I want to be an architect' son I decided to take him there so he could see the interior design

The maitre d' stopped us at the door - do you have a reservation ?

Sorry - no!

'Désolée' - he replied with the most pronounced Gallic shrug I have ever see

So I explained my wish for my "architect" son to see the interior as I remembered it from my first visit in '64 - Would it be ok - just to look inside ??

Ah-ha - you have been here before - I nodded - Well for such regular clients we always keep a table in reserve ...

My teenage son was most impressed .. but I suggest you all book as I will do next time

The location is only a few minutes walk behind Notre Dame

• Radiomom's Profile Photo

Au Sergeant Recruiter: Meet other Diners, and ALL you can Drink!

by Radiomom Updated Jul 14, 2003

SERGEANT RECRUITER 41 rue St Louis-en-l'Isle is a fixed prix menu in an ancient setting. As a pair, you'll get to know your neighbors -- huge baskets of crudities, cheese, sausages, breads are 'shared.' We met a nice couple from Germany whose English was far better than our German. House red or white wine as much as you need (could be dangerous for a few friends of mine back home!).

• Azhut's Profile Photo

AU SERGENT RECRUTEUR: A romantic place for a special date

by Azhut Written Jun 15, 2003

Confortable place with good cookin and wonderful dishes. Typical french taste and good music. You'll enter in a lillte heaven with every kind of deliciuos.

Favorite Dish: Every typical French dish is great, You only have to choose!!

• Trains
    • School Holidays

Instant Answers: Paris

• Feb 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Been there MANY times and have ALWAYS enjoyed it. Now the last time I was there was in March of 2003. So if the changes took place after that then I will have to wait until I go back to have a true opinion.