Bertillon, Paris

• Bertillon
    by pearly_p
  • Bertillon
    by Paris92
  • hubby waiting patiently for Berthillon ice cream
    hubby waiting patiently for Berthillon...
    by chatterley
  • pearly_p's Profile Photo

Berthillon: Out of this World - Ice Cream

by pearly_p Updated Aug 27, 2011

This sophisticated ice cream store had a polite crowds queuing outside for cones to go and others perched at the tables inside to try the lemon hazelnut and mango flavors favored by the locals.

Favorite Dish: Vanilla and chocolate ice cream and then walk down the riverside

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Glacier Berthillon: Would you care for a sorbet?

by Jefie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Trust me, it's worth the wait!

If you visit Ile Saint-Louis and wonder what that big line-up is all about, well it's about Glacier Berthillon! Berthillon is famous all over the world for its delicious sorbets and ice creams that come in flavours as tempting as ginger caramel, Grand-Marnier, tiramisu, litchees and wild strawberry. Of course they're not exactly cheap, but sometimes you just deserve a good sorbet! And if you feel like you deserve even more, you can stop by the Berthillon tea house located at 29 rue Saint-Louis-en-l'Ile. A great Paris experience!

Favorite Dish: I had the "orange sanguine" sorbet and I would definitely recommend it!

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Berthillon: Famous Parisian Ice Cream Shop

by BeatChick Updated Apr 4, 2011

Berthillon sign - Le Flore en l'Ile

Welcome to Berthillon which arguably serves THE BEST ice cream in all of Paris! It's famous original Parisian ice cream shop is located on the Ile St-Louis on the central street, the rue St-Louis-en-l'Ile, that runs through this small island.

Each trip to Paris warrants a visit here & I insist on coming only to the original shop. I always get the cone of 3 scoops in order to try out the different flavors & so far I've tried 6 (listed below) and ALL were excellent. My favorites, though, would have to be the poire (pear) due to its grainy pear texture tasting just like a frozen pear - wonderful - and the framboise which is very rich in flavor!

Be forewarned, even early in the morning there will a line of people down the block waiting to sample Berthillon's wares. But if you find the shop closed (as I did this past February) no worries as many restaurants in Paris carry it, including Le Flore en l'Ile at the western end of the Ile St-Louis which advertises it carries Berthillon ice cream on its awning.

This shop is closed for a few months in the summertime, but not to worry as there are plenty of places in Paris that serve this tres fantastique confection!

A cup of 3 sorbet scoops is a mere 3.65 euros.

Photo: Feb 2006

cassis (blackcurrant)
    poire (pear)

• Women's Travel

• chatterley's Profile Photo

Berthillon: Yummy Ice Cream in different flavours!

by chatterley Updated Jul 16, 2010

hubby waiting patiently for Berthillon ice cream

We went to St Louis in search of Berthillon, the famous French ice cream and sorbet maker.

The first time we went there, I ordered a double (Vanilla and Chocolate) cone, while hubby ordered another double of Vanilla and Strawberry cone. The flavours are intense, and I really liked the sweet and creamy vanilla ice cream! The strawberry sorbet offered a different flavour - a tinge of sourness, but tasted refreshing on a hot summer day!

We went back to St Louis for a second time, one day before our departure date, just for the ice cream again! The pistachio ice cream has an interesting flavour. Definitely worth the metro train ride and the long queue! Pity the scoops are small!

Favorite Dish: Every flavour we tried was good!

• vasilyec's Profile Photo

Berthillon: Best ice cream

by vasilyec Written Jul 1, 2010

There is a cafe where you can eat your ice cream inside - would not recommend to go there - very fancy, quite expensive and really poor customer service.
    Instead just go to the over the counter service right next door, where for 2-4 Euros you can buy absolutely delicious, the best in the world ice cream. If you rent an appartment in Paris and have a freezer section in your fridge there, you can buy a box of ice cream "to go" right there, and it will be much cheaper than to buy an individual portion. Very nice girls at Berthillon will even give you some ice packs (for free) to go on top of your box, so that you could safely bring your treasure home.

Favorite Dish: - Pistache (it has real pistachios inside)
    - Creole (Rum and raisins)

• Paris92's Profile Photo

Berthillon: Berthillon and the Crazy Monkey

by Paris92 Updated Jun 23, 2008

I’ve never, ever liked ice cream, but I would walk across hot coals to get half a spoonful of this stuff. It’s sold in a couple of other places around the city, but they always seem to be out of it, or they don’t have the right flavors or something. I think Berthillon does that just to keep everyone coming here. With flavors like café au whiskey (wonder how old you have to be to order that one), this place is in a class by itself. The café is fairly moderately priced, so it’s a nice choice for lunch. It’s on the Ile St-Louis, so you can take your ice cream and stroll past that fantastic accordion player who plays on the pont St-Louis, but stay away from that monkey he schleps everywhere—the monkey is a hostile lunatic. I guess I would be, too if I had to listen to “Autumn Leaves” as many times a day as he does.

Favorite Dish: Absolutely any flavor ice cream.

• tommyt1971's Profile Photo

Berthillon: Advice about Berthillon ice cream!!

by tommyt1971 Updated Apr 15, 2008

I'm talking about price & saving a few euros! Went to Paris in March of 2007 & we were told by our tour guide that the ONLY place to get authentic Berthillon ice cream, in the entire world, was on the Ile St. Louis, behind Notre Dame Cathedral. Of course, hearing a statement like that you'd immediately think "how melodramatic!" or "c'mon now!!" but it may just be true. Our guide, Mario, was quite sincere about such matters, so it was hard for us not to follow his advice. So, we went to the Ile St Louis to one of the 1st restaurants we found, La Lutetia, where we paid about 8E for 2 very small scoops (no more than 1/4 cup each) of Berthillon's famous.

Fast-forward to March '08 & we're back in France again, determined to return to the Ile St Louis & GET MORE BERTHILLON, MAN! This time we went to the Berthillon store & found that the portions were larger & the prices were cheaper! 4.20E gets you THREE scoops, compared to what we paid at the restaurant a yr before. Get there early in the day, by the end of the day they've sold out of many flavors. And the people that serve you are VERY nice folks!

Favorite Dish: I don't remember too well what flavors I had besides pistachio but I do remember that they were all incredible! If we'd had the time, I would've happily paid another 4.20E for another cup of 3 diff scoops!

• maestrousmc's Profile Photo

Bertillon: Not just Ice Cream

by maestrousmc Updated Mar 26, 2008

Bertillon was on my must-do list on my March 2008 trip. I wouldn't go as far as saying that it was worth the trip across the Atlantic but it is by far one of the creamiest, heavenly things I have ever tasted. Tucked away in one of the more charming areas in the city this institution lived up to every expectation with it's masterfully created treats, friendly staff, and outstanding service. It was 10am, raining and cold but ironically, this treat in a cone warmed me up and prepared me for the rest of my morning in Paris.

Though they provide creative flavors like blood orange I chose a classic flavor for a classic place: vanilla. Never again will I have my favorite ice cream flavor without comparing it to the one produced by this remarkable place.

Ice cream shop is an understatement. It's in a class of its own.

• Bertillon: Average at best

by peoniesinspring Written May 26, 2007

I agree with the other poster, The ice cream here is nice but nothing to scream about. If you want great and I mean great ice cream then head to Rome. Nowhere on earth does ice cream better than the Italians.

• crodri1's Profile Photo

Berthillon: Pistachio or Pineapple or Caramel or Banana???

by crodri1 Written Apr 6, 2007

Maybe this ice cream shop is a tourist trap because it is a bit expensive, BUT everything is so delicious!

Located on the Ile St. Louis, there is ALWAYS line at its doors but that doesn't keep locals or tourists away. Also, now that its getting warmer and the lines are getting longer, they do serve from both the window and the front door. I've been twice and never seen a customer actually go inside, so I'm not sure if there is any inside sitting or even a counter inside.

Favorite Dish: Any flavor seems to be good, but my husband did not seem to be a fan of the ginger caramel. They make over 70 flavors, but that does not mean that all are available at one time.

• Metreya's Profile Photo

Bertillon: The King of Ice Cream

by Metreya Written Mar 26, 2006

Here you can find the best ice cream of Paris. Everything ice is make with natural products, as bio fruits
    You can buy you ice at the "salon de the" but it's better to take it at the shop and wandering around, in summer, in the Ile Saint Louis or in the garden behind Notre Dame Church. At the shop you'll make the queue with many people who are like you : gourmant !

Favorite Dish: strawberry of wood ice cream
    freeze with melon
    vanilla

• Voyageuse30's Profile Photo

Le Flore En L'Ile: Great ice cream and view of Notre Dame

by Voyageuse30 Written Jun 26, 2005

Le Flore En L'Ile, Paris

Favorite Dish: The renowned Berthillon ice cream they serve here is to die for. It's more expensive than other ice cream options in the area but well worth the price. My fiance and I paid 22 euros for our 2 ice cream bowls (about 2 large scoops, plenty of whipped cream, etc.)

• Brehone's Profile Photo

Bethillon: The best Ice Cream in Paris

by Brehone Written May 14, 2004

This is where the locals get their ice cream! After a long afternoon of wander the Notre Dame and St. Chapelle's this was a wonderful treat. Be prepared to try to order in French because the staff didn't seem to understand much English. But they were very kind and helpful.

Favorite Dish: Chocolate of course!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Bertillon: Ice Cream Heaven

by aussiedoug Updated Dec 24, 2003

Do I look Parisien at all?

I'd read about Bertillon's before I got to Paris. About how the queues would be soooo long, but the ice cream was absolutely delicious.
    Well I didn't think I was going to get there at all with the busy itinerary our group had, despite us being there for 10 days. However, when I extended my stay by 3 days it enabled me to explore the lovely (understatement) Ile
    St Louis and luckily enough I just stumbled on Berthillon. Lo and behold, no queues and a choice of tables pour moi! Great stuff!

Favorite Dish: Can't remember what I had here, but I know it had my favourite framboise (raspberry) in it somewhere. It was delicious indeed!!!!! There's only one other place I've tasted anything to compare and that's Cafe 2000 in Rozelle (inner suburb of Sydney). Tony handmakes his own gelato from the freshest ingredients and they are the best I've had in Sydney so to compare it to Bertillon is high praise indeed.

• Stasigrace's Profile Photo

Bertillon: Hate to say it, but it's overrated

by Stasigrace Written Jul 16, 2003

Bertillon is in every guide book as the "must-have" ice cream of Paris. So even though we were exhausted and boiling hot, we tromped to the Ile St. Louis (wanted to visit there anyway) to stand in line.

But it's not worth it. It is no better than any storebought ice cream I've had in the States.

You can have it as a novelty, but don't go out of your way for it. We had MUCH better ice cream at Haagen Daz.

Instant Answers: Paris