Café de la Paix, Paris

Interior, June 2014
    by MM212
    Ceiling, June 2014
    by MM212
    cafe de la paix across capucines
    by gwened
  • gwened's Profile Photo

Cafe de la Paix: A monument to Paris gastronomy_Paix

by gwened Updated Apr 7, 2014

from across pl de l'Op��ra at le Grand and Caf��

a historical monument classify in France, one of the original great ones of Paris. An institution by Opéra.
    The mille-feuille or napoleon is a classic here since Ernest Hemingway stopped by.
    Linked gastronomically to the other jewel the Intercontinental Le Grand Hotel. Both open in 1862.
    In 1914, the taxis that went carrying troops to the front in WWI departed from here, after the war the celebrations were done here.

IN 1939 the cafe closed for the first time in its history. In August 24 1944, while the fight for Paris rage, a nazi grenade cause a fire, put out by the employees armed with their cupcake makers.

some pictures from the vault when I used to work here in management ;;)

Favorite Dish: the mille feuille and hot chocolate is my past time here. Also the gauffres are deliciious at lunch.

• Luxury Travel

• moe0875's Profile Photo

Cafe de la Paix: French icon since 1862

by moe0875 Written Dec 27, 2008

Café de la Paix is extremely popular. The famous large bustling café sits on a busy Paris intersection, across from the Opera — it's one of the best places in Paris for people-watching( Best spot in Paris for Kuwaiti and Gulf states tourists) During one visit — following shopping excursion to nearby Galleries Lafayette — I had fine late lunch there with a friend and hanged there for 4 hours without noticing the time!!!
    Went for few indoors dinners there as well.

Favorite Dish: The seafood is very fresh and well prepaired, and a good wine is readily recommended by staff for a memorable meal. For dessert, make sure to have the famous Millefeuille du Café de la Paix

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Café de la Paix: Lovely but Expensive

by BeatChick Updated Dec 2, 2007

Caf�� de la Paix

I've always wanted to dine in Café de la Paix, ever since my first trip. The fifth trip I finally made it. Maybe I was too influenced by my desire to go and by the hype but I was decidedly underwhelmed by the experience.

The belle epoque interior is grand and lovely (being part of the Grand Hotel Intercontinental) but the food was way too expensive for what it was. I should've just come in for a cup of coffee or an effervescent glass of Kir Royal, instead I entered hungry for a meal.

I started off with a glass of Kir Royal (19€ - I know, expensive but it was worth it) to celebrate returning to my favorite city, this was followed up with a 15€ (yes, you read that right - this was even more expensive the Café de Flore) bowl of onion soup. It was "correct" as the French would say but certainly not worth 15 euros. It seemed average, nothing special about it. The soup was joined by a 3€ salade. This was followed up by a plat de fromage (9€ - very nice - a good, round selection of cheese) accompanied by as much bread as you could shake a stick at, then of course was a 1/2 liter of Vittel (7€ - can you believe this price? man, I'm an idiot) ended by a dessert of mille feuille (12€) and espresso (6€). I always go for the crème brûlée as it's my favorite and I've never ever had a bad one, either in France or in the US. But, they did not have my favorite dessert, so I opted for the mille feuille. I'm going to sound like a *** for saying this and totally shred my (undeserved) reputation for being a Paris foodie BUT the dessert tasted exactly to me like honey-glazed Ritz crackers with vanilla pudding in between the layers. Nothing at all special about it. Can someone please explain to me the allure of mille feuille? I just don't get it. Well, I don't get profiteroles, either. I'll stick with my favorite, I suppose.

Photos: November 2007

Favorite Dish: The plat de fromage was worth 9€ to me. Very French, a nice variety, and of course having free bread accompany it makes the price seem worthwhile.

All in all, the meal was a whopping 71€ ($104)! Of course, you're paying for the grand décor, the porcelain plates, the real silver silverware, the unobtrusive service. Maybe I'd have been happier if I could've had a table by the window. Those looked lovely!

I think I'll try Le Grande Café next time. They at least have a better dessert selection.

• MM212's Profile Photo

Café de la Paix: Belle Epoque Café

by MM212 Written Jun 24, 2007

Caf�� de la Paix (2006)

Designed by Garnier, the architect of the Paris Opéra, Café de la Paix was therefore created to match the magnificence of the neighbouring theatre. During the Parisian Belle Epoque, Café de la Paix was the meeting spot for the Paris high and literary society. While it has held on to its décor and fame, it is now simply another Paris café in a busy neighbourhood. It is definitely worth a stop when visiting this neighbourhood.

• ilovespain's Profile Photo

Café de la Paix: Not bad at all.

by ilovespain Written Sep 21, 2005

Grilled tenderloin.... saignant, of course.

I learnt my lesson - department stores in France do not open on Sundays. My original plan was to go to La fayette to wander around and then to have lunch there when I got hungry. There are nice restaurants, a cafeteria and numerous counters with bar stools where you could sit down and have a decent meal. Well, little did I knew, on that Sunday, by the time I walked up to the street from the Metro, the streets around the store were all deserted and quiet. A department store that closes on Sundays is unthinkable in America. But then again this is Europe we are talking. The time was approaching 2PM, kitchens everywhere would be closed up soon. Bit of a panic here! As luck would have it, I saw a hotel in a distance. To make a long story short, it was lntercontinental le Grand. I got seated in their brasserie and I had a very good meal. The onion soup was superb. The tenderloin was juicy and tender. And for the dessert, the waitress recommended millle feuille. No, merci, after the fiasco at Chez Andre the night before, I passed. I ordered the Black Forest instead, and it was excellent. It was a very hearty portion and the presentation made my mouth water immediately. I should have taken a picture. So yummy. :0) What a way to end a perfect meal!

Favorite Dish: The Black Forest.

• Café de la Paix: Great food and ambiance

by tsaojam Written Jul 20, 2005

The reason I really liked the place is because there was a really laid-back and homey atmosphere to the place. Although the decor can't exactly be considered homey, but the whole ambiance was very mellow.

The food was very good, high marks for the seafood platter. Great steak as well.

Service was OK, not great but passable. Still, for a very good meal, nice atmosphere, and a good place to relax and chat for a few hours with good food and wine, this is the place to go.

Favorite Dish: Seafood Platter

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Café de la Paix: Elegant & Historic Cafe *9e

by shrimp56 Written Nov 13, 2004

This is a very historic cafe in Le Grand Hotel Intercontinental. It is beautiful and expensive. But for a cup of coffee the experience is certainly worth it! It was designed by the same person who did the Opera Garnier nearby.
    The picture is from the showcase in the hotel.

• tanianska's Profile Photo

The Cafe de la Paix is one of...

by tanianska Written Aug 25, 2002

The Cafe de la Paix is one of Paris' most famous. Designed by the same Garnier, of the Opera Garnier the decor recalls a past era. The Opera area was once the hub of cafe society in Paris, and while the ''hub'' is no longer, the elegance of that time remains. You won't find the coffee inexpensive here, but it may still be a bargin given the surroundings.

Picture by Guy Buffet

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

CAFE de la PAIX at the LE...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

CAFE de la PAIX at the LE GRAND INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL. This 130-year old world renowned cafe has the longest terrace in Paris where the Parisians' favorite pastime is people-watching... and they certainly do it over lunch, dinner or over drinks...! Since we couldn't afford to dine at MAXIM's (heard the standard of service/ food has dropped tremendously), this place would do! :-) And the only thing we could afford here is a bowl of soup!! ;-)

Instant Answers: Paris