Café du Marché, Paris

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 10 Reviews

• Café du Marché: Love a FRESH Salad

by susiebenpgh Written Aug 16, 2006

The service here has always been great, and most of the staff speaks at least some English...
    Very comfortable surroundings.
    I have tried most of the food, and it is delicious, and very reasonably priced.

Favorite Dish: Great when you just want a typical American "Big" salad - choose the Salad du Cesar..

Café du Marché: Charming Cafe in Rue Cler

by bpacker Updated Dec 22, 2005

When you're in Paris, you'll want to indulge in the Parisian habit of sitting in a side-walk cafe and nursing a coffee as you people watch. The perfect place to do so is Cafe Du Marche in Rue Cler. Not only do they have the best coffee in town, they've got amazing Salads for 7.50 euros and delicious plat du jour ( dish of the day )

Favorite Dish: Cafe Au lait ( White Coffee ) or Cafe Noir (Black Coffee) . A cup cost about 2.50euros

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Cafe du Marche: Delicious Confit de Canard ( DUCK )

by bpacker Updated Dec 22, 2005

Delicious Confit du Canard ( Duck)

Going to Paris is a gastronmic dream journey for me. Everything was delicious, even with my fussy pallette.Here's just some of the better dishes I've tried at unpretentious places and prices.*

Favorite Dish: Duck, I just can't get enough of it ! What more, Confit De Canard, Delicious crisp skin with a thin layer of fat, succulent flesh drenched in creamy gravy. Hmm...

• bpacker's Profile Photo

Café du Marché: Cheap and Delicious Plat du Jour !

by bpacker Updated Dec 22, 2005

Fish drenched in raspberry sauce

It's impossible to go on a budget for food when you're in Paris, the gastronomic capital of the world, so do the wise move of choosing the "PLAT DU JOUR" or dish of the day when you're in restaurant. They're cheap and delicious. Over at the Cafe du Marche, the specials are written in a chalkboard. Even if you can't read French, the nice waiters over there will decipher and recommend a good dish for you.

Favorite Dish: Even if you're put off by Anthony Bourdain's fishy tips, you've got to try this raspberry cod fish in Cafe Du Marche. The flesh is soft and tart-tasting with the red raspberry sauce. Equally delicious is the frittata ( egg and vegetable omelette) that goes with it. For 10 euros, this is a good bargain!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Caf? du March?: Location ... did I say location??? * 7e

by shrimp56 Updated Dec 8, 2005

A caf? in the middle of the rue Cler market street, popular with both locals and tourists. It can be hard to get a table on a warm summer evening. The café serves a fairly standard bistro menu with some good meal size salads. The servers are usually harried, but not wildly rude.
    On my most recent visit the crepe stand that used to be tucked into the front of the café was no longer there:(

• kandl1's Profile Photo

Café du Marché: Don't just take my word for it...

by kandl1 Updated Jul 1, 2005

Cafe' du Marche'

Yes, this is another place that Rick Steves recommends, but at the time we didn't know that. We had a wonderful late dinner on our first night in Paris and sat next to a family from our part of the USA, plus an English mother and her adult daughter. There were plenty of locals drinking wine, smoking and talking into the wee hours of the night. The fact that this restaurant was next door to our hotel made this a natural place for us to grab a meal.
    We had lunch here later on in our trip and it was as good as the dinner.

Favorite Dish: The menu is posted out in front on the chalk board and consisted of basic French cafe items. Salads, about 5 entrees (fish, chicken, steak, pork...) and a few desserts. I ordered the Salmon Tartare and the waitress looked at me and said (in that classic French way of theirs) "It is raw, you know." I smiled and said "I certainly hope so!" My wife had the pork tenderloin with a mustard sauce. Both were outstanding, inexpensive and fresh.
    For lunch on another day, we both had large salads and they didn't disappoint.
    It was a classic French experience.

• Café du Marché: Saturday Afternoon on rue Cler

by chwalsh1 Updated May 27, 2005

After visiting the Rodin Museum we took a tip from Rick Steve's guidebook and walked over to rue Cler. This is a delightful "very French"
    pedestrian street lined with wonderful shops, open air produce stands - and some great cafes.

We chose the Cafe du Marche and loved it!
    They featrued great specials on their blackboard ,reasonable prices and good service.The locals far out numbered the tourists and sitting there, in the sun sipping wine made us feel part of the scene. The people watching was superb! Don't order desert - wait and choose something from one of the Patisseries,Chocolate Shops or (if you want to be good) from one of the fruit stands that are near by.

Favorite Dish: Roast chicken and mashed potaoes - simple and delicious

• slang75's Profile Photo

Caf? du March?: Great for a coffee or a meal

by slang75 Written Jun 2, 2004

We ended up at this cafe every mornig for a coffee and crossiont. Only went one night for a meal and regreat we didn't go more. The food was very good and the price was right. I had Duck confe with roasted potatoes. It was simple and tasty. The waitstaff was friendly enough and spoke english very well. Do check the specials board when you enter. Almost everyone around us was ordering straight off of it.

• Café du Marché: Tim Hortons Just Ain't Good Enough!

by Dunlop Written Feb 9, 2004

Sometimes a very small but delicate little outdoor coffee house is all you need to boost up your day with a gormet selection of great coffee, latte, moca's, capps, anything with enourmous amounts of caffine to keep up with the french.

Favorite Dish: I didn't really try much foods at the time, because I was a stubborn picky 13 yr old un-willing to try new foods, but I was willing to drink the amazing coffee!

• mcuriel's Profile Photo

Cafe du Marche: Great atmosphere, food & wine.

by mcuriel Written Jan 24, 2010

This restaurant was down the street from our hotel, so we had breakfast, dinner, dessert and wine there.

Instant Answers: Paris