Chez Julien, Paris

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 6 Reviews

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Brasserie Julien: Art Nouveau in the 10th

by Dabs Written Jun 14, 2013

The second art nouveau restaurant we visited was Brasserie Julien in the 10th, we came here after seeing "How to Become a Parisien in an Hour". I had made reservations for 9:30pm as 9pm was not available, we were done with the show and had walked over by 8:30pm and they seated us early. The interior of this restaurant is stunning, the stained glass ceiling, the panels of art nouveau women, the detailed carvings.

Favorite Dish: We opted for the set menu at 42.90€ and I somehow didn't notice the small print with all of the supplements, the chateaubriand at 6€, the sole at 9€ and the kir royals at ____ each! We ended up spending 55€ per person by the time we were done and since we had to split a bottle of wine, one of us ended up drinking white wine when they would have preferred red

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo

Julien.: Another piece of history.

by pfsmalo Written May 14, 2012

Situated in an area that was more well-known for its "red-lights" than its restaurants, Julien is one of the last restaurants "Art-Nouveau" in Paris along with Chartier, La Coupole and a few others, and has stood the test of time since 1903. One of the most atmospheric restos I've ever been in, with the glass roofs and the "femmes-fleurs" painted on glass, the waiters dressed in the traditionnal black and white, all confers to give a feeling of well-being. Service is impeccable with all 6 of us being served at the same time which is exceptionnal.

Menu in the evening is 39€ pp which is not cheap, but includes an aperitif, entrée, main dish, dessert and a bottle of wine for 2. At lunchtime and after 22h30 there is a menu available at 32€.

Open every day from 12h00 to 15h00 and 19h00 to 01h00. Better to reserve your place if you want to be certain of getting in.

ATTENTION - Closed in 2012 from 29/07 to 24/08 for annual holidays.

Favorite Dish: Try the foie gras maison, delicious.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Chez Julien: Chez Julien

by BeatChick Updated Jan 5, 2008

Chez Julien �� Nuit

Just around the corner of the back end of Eglise St-Gervais-St-Protais (one of my favorite spots in all of Paris) is the pretty fin-de-siècle façade of Chez Julien which was featured in the film The Accidental Tourist starring William Hurt, Kathleen Turner & Geena Davis (who won an Oscar for this role) and directed by Lawrence Kasdan (who also directed the fabulous French Kiss).

In the scene, this is the charming restaurant Macon (William Hurt) dines; the camera is close in on Macon, framed by the lacy curtains, and pans out to show Chez Julien's beautiful blue façade and then further to show the broad, stepped, cobblestoned rue des Barres and the backside of St-Gervais-St-Protais church.

I was initially intrigued by this restaurant when it was featured in a screensaver by Liudmila Kondakova.

When I stopped by in February 2006 I noticed the cover of Patricia Well’s Food Lover’s Guide to Paris in the window but it's no longer there.

Favorite Dish: Friends of mine have raved about this place but I haven't dined there yet; however, their veal scallops are supposed to be divine!

I've included a photo of one of the menus posted in their window.

Photos: February 2006 & November 2007

• Women's Travel

• mpileggi's Profile Photo

Chez Julien: Classic French Restaurant

by mpileggi Written Sep 19, 2007

This was an expensive lunch but a nice start to my trip. The restaurant is small but lovely with its dark red walls. There's a second floor with more dining.

Favorite Dish: 25 Euro menu. I started with the fricassee mushrooms in a white wine sauce followed by the baked salmon in a tomato provencale sauce and vegetables. Nougat glas with a raspberry puree for dessert. Shared a small bottle of Sancerre red wine with my friend. Total 33€.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Julien: Art Nouveau restaurant

by GUYON Updated May 7, 2006

Uncle Julien's restaurant

One of the rare restaurants in Paris with a Art Nouveau scenery. The topic : the Four Seasons.
    The drawings were made by Fucha the poster artist of the Great Sarah Bernard and they were put on glass. The restaurant might be launch for the international exibit of 1889 but the owner died before and the opening was delayed till 1925 because of WWI.
    It initial aim was the wealthy clients and ironically, it opened as a "bouillon" that means a budget restaurant serving boiled meat.
    This restaurant is special for us because the owner was one of my wife's cousins. My parents in law made there engagement lunch there in 1945.

Favorite Dish: I remember to have gone there in 1971. The cousin said to the waiter "Give them our meat not the one of the clients". I had a steak which spilled out of the plate which had a reduced size in order to allow the waiters to bring 20 or 25 plates on one arm and also to make appear the food larger.
    My neighbor said to his wife : "Oh, do you see what meat they give for only 3.75F". He was very deceived when he ordered the steak cut for clients.

Now, it is a gastronomic restaurant, owned by the chain restaurant : Brasseries Flo. The menus (lunch and dinner) were at 22.90 euros (1 course + dessert or entree) and 32.90 euros (2 courses + dessert) including wine.
    You must make a reservation before going there (reduction 20 pct if you reserve through Internet).
    Dress code : casual possible but without exageration

• Seniors

• Julien: Traditional Art-Nouveau Parisian Bistro

by ml71 Updated Sep 19, 2004

This is a traditional French bistro with fantastic original art-nouveau styling. I went on a Friday lunchtime and found it busy but I was able to get a table. The service, food and wine were excellent but you really go to this place for the decor and the atmosphere.

• Architecture

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Chez Julien
4.0 out of 5 stars