Chez Papa, Paris

by ForestqueenNYC
    by Lucelio
  • Chez Papa 15: Très bonne ambiance

by pier7rot Updated Mar 6, 2013

Youhou grosse ambiance Chez papa au 101 r Croix Nivert dans le 15e, je vou conseille d’allé y manger, nous on prefere dans la semaine, le week-end etant légèrement bruyant

Favorite Dish: Foie gras pour le goût traditionnel du terroir et escargots pour la sauce savoureuse !

• Architecture

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Chez Papa: A Pub With A View

by lmkluque Updated Aug 27, 2012

Chez Papa

Sit near a window in Chez Papa and watch the people walk past, on the busy rue La Fayette, while sipping an espresso.

'Papa' may not be Papa Hemmingway--which I first thought--but the ambience certainly alludes to the image of heavy drinking and passionate, intellectual conversation at bare, wooden tables. This pub also served inexpensive meals.

I didn't know at the time that there are five Chez Papas in Paris. This one on rue LaFayette is the most popular one. Though it might be a sort of chain, each store has an individual look, so each seems to be unique.

Favorite Dish: Espresso was all I had because I arrived between lunch hours and dinner hours. Finding a meal during this interim seemed to be a difficulty everywhere I went in Paris.

There was a chalk board above the bar that displayed the meals of the day and the price was reasonable.

However, if you arrive at the wrong time, take a walk along the streets were bread and pastry shops, cheese shops and green grocers with colorful displays of fresh fruits spilling out the door for sale at any time you might feel hungry.

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

Chez Papa: A Chain, But Good Sud Ouest Cuisine

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Sep 23, 2011

Chez Papa

This is a small chain, but I loved the atmosphere and the food. The price isn't bad either. Students and young adults love this place because the food is good and the prices are reasonable. It is best to get there either at the very beginning or the end of the lunch or dinner hour otherwise you will not get a seat.

Favorite Dish: A duck with leeks dish. It was really delicious.

• Singles
    • Women's Travel

• chez papa: delightful service and whatsmore the food is super

by Doremeister Written Feb 9, 2011

when I went i was only 14 years old with my family, we were amazed at the menu and the friendly service. I returned 2 years later at 16 years old in 2010 and found the same owner as friendly as ever on a tuesday night. we had one waiter who was a people person he spoke fluent english whereas only my father and sister new fluent french, we were the only english in the restaurant and after 10 in the evening the music started to play, we stayed for hours at one point we were about to leave and then we heard that a singer had just arrived to join the jazz band. we stayed for another hour. For our starter we had a traditional style of garlic bread, for our main course I tried veal for the first time, it was extremely tender and the light meat melted like butter in my mouth, it was the best meat from a cow i had ever tasted, for desert i had a delectable chocolate mousse like ice cream with a light frothy layer of whipped cream on top. I would recommend that anyone wherever you go in france find the nearest chez papa and enjoy the musical accompaniment to the food and let the music change the way the food tastes with the way it relaxes your mood I recommend this restaurant as an end of the week meal to relax. the restaurant i visited was 3 rue st benoit, st german des pres.

Favorite Dish: i dont know the name but it was a delightful veal dish

• Music

• Chez Papa: Young, non-touristy, homey, abundant...

by chezshay Written Sep 2, 2009

....and delicious food--and quite affordable. I've been returning to this restaurant for close to fifteen years. Their Boyarde Salade is comfort food to me when I'm on the road. It is a meal in itself. If I go there alone, I get this only as it is enough. If I take friends, we share appetizers. After reading reviews here, I will try the location on Rue La Fayette--I would love to meet Papa!

Favorite Dish: Boyarde Salade--the hot fried potatoes and prosciutto make this a meal

• Chez Papa: tout les prat

by Lucelio Written Aug 20, 2009

Je sui né au Brésil, dejá habteé en Franche pour 4 anné, juste au Port dI'tally, acouté de Chez Papa. Mantennam je abite au Brésil, me, je rapelle toute les jours qui je vá monger du restaurant chez.
    Escuse moi, ma letre.
    Lucélio Costa.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Trains
    • Eco-Tourism

• Chez Papa: Genuine French Experience

by loumagee77 Written Mar 23, 2009

Atmosphere was great from the minute we walked into this restaurant. The place was packed full of locals who were very friendly and keen to talk to us. We seemed to be the only tourists in the restaurant and we were given the 1 english menu and also a French one. The meal was fabulous but this restaurant is all about the experience. It was very casual and one of our top nights out in Paris. I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to any of my friends. I will be returning next time i am visiting.

• bisous333's Profile Photo

Chez Papa: Hmm not quite what I hoped for!

by bisous333 Written Jan 25, 2008

The food was very chunky, common of south west of France. My dinner mate and I found it quite hard to swallow. Perhaps we got the wrong thing on the menu, but after hearing so much about the place I was desperate to go.

We managed to share two starters between us and were stuffed. If you don't like heavy food or very strong cheese and lots of ham, then avoid some of the starters.

Favorite Dish: I don't have a favourite, as I wasn't too keen on what I had. It was a 'Savoyarde salad' consisting of starchy potatoes, very strong cheese that tasted like soap and ham slices with lettuce and a thick dressing. This is typical of the south west of France apparently.

I know that I should give it another try though, next time I'll go for something completely different!

• Beer Tasting
    • Wine Tasting

• BenFromParis's Profile Photo

Chez Papa ( 4 restaurants, french food ): Chez Papa ( 4 restaurants, french food )

by BenFromParis Updated Aug 17, 2005

If you want to eat very good food (and not expensive) from the west-south of France. Come early because it's always full.

4 restaurants in Paris :

* 29 rue de l'arcade (8th quarter)
    metro : Madeleine
    phone : (0)1 42 65 43 68

* 6 rue Gassendi (14th quarter)
    metro : Denfert Rochereau
    phone : (0)1 43 22 41 19

* 206 rue Lafayette (10th quarter)
    metro : Louis Blanc
    phone : (0)1 42 09 53 87

* 101 rue de la Croix-Nivert (15th quarter)
    (my favorite one)
    metro : Commerce
    phone : (0)1 48 28 31 88

• Laerke's Profile Photo

Chez Papa: Atmosphere accompanied with great french food...

by Laerke Written May 31, 2004

Chez Papa

There are four branches in Paris, physically I been to two of them.

They both have the same excellent food and menu.

One is somewhat bigger and have more air to breathe, especially as a nonsmoker.

The other, has less tables and is therefore even more likely to have a long waiting time. It s noisy and a bit cramped up - but the the atmospehere overwhelming.

The food is pleanty, simple and delicious served in a charmingly oldfashioned way in pots, pans and clay bowls.
    All very homey.

Service is extremely pleasant - especially at the second place I mentioned. You might even meet Chez Papa (big daddy) himself welcomming you with a handshake and maybe even with an aperitif.

As soon as I find out, which is which, I´ll make a note.

Favorite Dish: First of all it s vegetarian-friendly, as you can order your choice without the meat part. Just ask for it.
    Then the first dishes to suggest - as a vegetarian - are the omelets, salads and onion pie.

• djou_box's Profile Photo

Chez Papa: Frenchy french food

by djou_box Written Feb 25, 2004

Have a great meal with your friends ? have specialties from south west area of france... that means, foie gras and confit de canard (duck), mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. happiness is in your plate ! Enjoy !
    good typical food not expensive.
    (Chez Papa means : At Daddy's)
    there are 5 in paris :
    3 r St Benoýt 75006 PARIS
    6 r Gassendi 75014 PARIS
    101 r Croix Nivert 75015 PARIS
    29 r Arcade 75008 PARIS
    206 r La Fayette 75010 PARIS this one is the first and the most famous ! I've already been to another one but I don't remember which... oooooops.

Favorite Dish: I usually take duck magret with fresh foie gras and fried potatoes. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    my friends really enjoyed the Cassoulet.
    one of their red wines is nice too ! I'll check out which one we usually take...

• A2002's Profile Photo

Chez Papa: Dining at Chez Papa.

by A2002 Written Jul 24, 2003

I found someone recommended Chez Papa on VT before my trip to Paris, hence I have decided to give it a try since I want to try some French food too.

There are 4 Chez Papa in Paris. One near Commerce metro. oops.. I have forgotten the rest.

When I reach there at about 8pm, there's not many people, so we thought "Is it that good?". However, as we were enjoying our food, people start coming at 8.30pm... And by 9pm, there's a queue!

We ordered the appetiser, main course and dessert togather in the first order, and regretted it on our first dining experience cos the portion for the salad is huge! We are no big eater, so by the time we finished the salad, we are almost full already. We noticed that the French do not order all in one go. I saw the group of people had salad each, then the waitress will bring the menu again and they only ordered dessert after that. We should have done that cos we had too much that night and could not sleep.

Favorite Dish: I have forgotten the French name in the menu, but these are what we like from here:

Duck and duck liver.

Papa's salad.

Escargot.

• Ronald_T's Profile Photo

Chez Papa. This is not a first...

by Ronald_T Written Sep 12, 2002

Chez Papa. This is not a first class restaurant, but a more common one. It is a lively place where you can enjoy a drink as well, even without taken food. However, the most important for me is that the menus are good and that your plate is more then full. As I like to eat well I did not had to order another plate to fill up my tummy as if I had to do in Melbourne. So, if you are hungry go to there ;-) Another great point to mention is that they serve very quickly; even the place is fill up.

• Vrony's Profile Photo

Chez Papa: Chez Papa

by Vrony Written Aug 25, 2002

Wonnderful place, warm family athmosphere (it looks like an old Frenchy house), always full of young people. Simple but HUGE and delicious specialities from south-East France, as Foie Gras, confit de canard....
    The owner is a really cool guy (he is Papa), and comes sometimes to say hello. Pictures of him and his baby are hanged on the walls.

Favorite Dish: Have a salad: it looks like anything but salad. huge meal with potatoes, ham, hot meat, eggs, cheese, pieces of toasted bread... and almost no green salad...

Instant Answers: Paris