Flunch, Paris

4 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

Look for flunch in different cities

Outside centre Pompidou
    by hevbell
  • Flunch
    by Rawicz
    ? l'enfer avec McDonalds.
    by davequ
  • Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

Flunch: Excellent budget restaurants

by Flying.Scotsman Updated Nov 17, 2011

My wife and I are great fans of Flunch. There are 2 in Paris, one near the Place de Clichy below Montmartre, and one near the Pompidou Centre. There was a third in the Rue Pierre Lescot side of the Châtelet-Les Halles shopping complex which was being developed on our visit in March. The name I believe is derived from French lunch (but check it before giving it as your answer for a million pounds on "Who wants to be a Millionaire"). Ask the audience and hope most of them are French. It is a strange mixture of plain cooking in a cafeteria style setting with excellent prices. Meals have set prices and normally include all the vegetables and potatoes you can eat. Many meals include wine in the price. Steaks and grills, including steak hache are cooked to order on the charcoal grill. There is always a variety of hot main meals, deserts, and starters, as well as a salad bar. The only "complaint" is the rather complicated pricing structure and what is is included for what price. This can be difficult for the first time visitor, especially if you don't speak French. Being fans of Flunch for 14 years since we first visited the one near the Pompidou Centre, we feel its well worth the slight inconvenience of having to interpret the menu combinations. This is an excellent place if you want plain food for reasonable prices.

I've rated this "a great experience." But remember it is a budget restaurant type of great experience, so don't take your wife (or husband) here for your 25th wedding anniversary!

Favorite Dish: I liked the charcoal grlled steak hache (an all beef hamburger without the roll). My wife thinks they do the best mshed potatoes anywhere.

• hevbell's Profile Photo

Flunch: LUNCH AT FLUNCH

by hevbell Updated Sep 23, 2007

Outside centre Pompidou

I went here on my second trip to Paris. On that occasion I was travelling alone and I don't like going to "proper" restaurants on my own. This place suited me as it is a cafeteria style place, the food is filling but very reasonably priced and didn't keep me back from my sightseeing for too long. My friend and I went back here on the last day of our recent trip and I was happy to find it hadn't changed. There are different "menus" you can have - the menu du jour has a main meal and desert of the day plus a drink for about €7,90 or the express menu was a main meal and drink. You can get most of the main meals on offer for around €6. You pick what you want for a main course, add your own veg, pick a starter, dessert, drink etc and then go and pay at the desk and find a seat.

This isn't the place to go for ambience or typical French food but it seems very popular with the locals & tourists alike and you will get a quikc, cheap and filling meal.

Favorite Dish: Fruit salad. I just love fruit salad though! BUt you do get to pick what you put in it & how much.

On my most recent visit I had a pasta bake with fish which was yummy but they had a fair choice of dishes. They also have an ice cream stand where you can get either a sundae to sit in with or a cornet to take away. We went back for some later in the afternoon and I must say it was delicious! I had the lemon and the passion fruit sorbets.

• thinking's Profile Photo

"FLUNCH" (FRENCH LUNCH): VEGETARIAN FOODS + FRENCH MAIN DISHES

by thinking Written Aug 19, 2006

FLUNCH LOGO

Flunch (French slang for "French Lunch", NOT "FAST LUNCH").
    "Food like our home's"

Flunch is a popular French chain where the main dish that you ordered is cooked in front of you.
    The main dish (MEAT, FISH, POULTRY) comes with "all you can eat vegetables and potatoes",
    hence vegetarians can be well satisfied here.

The vegetables and potatoes are put in a central location in the restaurant for you to serve yourself.
    This French concept allows quicker service since this area is self service.

There is a big difference between Flunch and McDonalds or the Quick Hamburger Restaurant chain from Belguim.
    At Flunch, you will receive a 'balanced meal" with an entree, a principal plate and a dessert with very efficient service
    and for one reasonable price. They also serve bread and wine. Tap water is free, and there is an area which contains
    the glasses and the pitchers for you to help yourself.

If you are still hungry, you can go back and eat as many of the salads, vegetables and potatoes that you want.
    So if the vegetarian likes to eat, the hunger will pass quickly here!

The brand is owned by Auchan, the French grocery store, so they have their chain everywhere in France.
    It is the best choice for a fair price and more often than not, the food is much better than you will find in the
    tourist bistro.

The main difference with McDonalds or Quick is that Flunch does not provide hamburgers or sandwiches, but regular meals with a large choice of first course, main course and desserts.
    Many branches are located in shopping malls.
    One particularity of Flunch is that you pay for the main course, but can get unlimited vegetables to accompany it.
    French people don't refer to Flunch as fast-food, but as self-service.

Flunch is being expanded in Portugal, with 3 restaurants, Oporto, Almada and Faro. The Oporto Flunch have +/- 1000m2.
    Any questions can be redirected to flunch@arrabidashopping.com

Favorite Dish: I ask when they will be serving Atlantic Salmon, and it is on those days that I really enjoy going to Flunch.
    It is at least half the price of the medicore French restaurants you will find in the tourist areas of Paris or other
    French cities, but the quality is much, much better.

Vegetables, salad and potatoes are enough for me, so I either order only that. or give my companion the main plate
    and I eat the salads, etc., or I can take the main plate home with me if I have a ziplock bag in my purse.

• Business Travel
    • Work Abroad

• davequ's Profile Photo

Flunch: Cheap French fast food

by davequ Updated Aug 9, 2004

? l'enfer avec McDonalds.

flunch appears to still be growing (100+ locations), though I did not see any this time 2003/04, but I wasn't really looking either.

Why cop out to McDonald's etc. when you're in a hurry for lunch in France?

Imagine a typical buffet / cafeteria / smorgasboard restaurant, serving (instead of roast beef, meatloaf & green beans):

duck, fried rabbit with herbs, or lots of other French concoctions ready to pick up and put on your tray.

This is Flunch.
    They were in many different cities (in 2001 I ate at one during a train stop in Nice close to the station; they are also in Paris, Avignon, etc.) and appeared to be growing.

Don't get me wrong. This is just fast food & is certainly not even close to good cuisine, but if you are in a hurry yet still want some quick & affordable French food, check out flunch.

Beats the merde out of le big mac.

Favorite Dish: I've had duck and rabbit there: both were good (for fast food), with salad, and mousse for dessert.
    One of the cool things about flunch is it is buffet style.
    Like any cafeteria, there were many selections already prepared for you to look at closely before you pick your choice and put it on your tray.

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Flunch
4.0 out of 5 stars