Hippo, Paris

by solopes
  • Hippo
    by bikergirl_liz
  • bikergirl_liz's Profile Photo

Hippo: Hippopotamus, or Hippohorribles..

by bikergirl_liz Updated Nov 19, 2013

Last sunday me and my daughters went to get lunch at one of the hippo-restaurants in Paris. First: extreemly slow service, we were starting to think they had forgotten us after 15-20 min, and the restaurant werent not even half full.. Then the meals.. Minimalistic in style and taste. then another terrible long time to wait after we asked for the bill.
    Then when it finally came I was really pissed off: they gave us an old bill, with the 4 time higher amount (charged us for several chablis etc, and we only had water and 1 beer),.. This was not an "accident", since we observed they tryed this trick on another guest just before they did this on us. This might be something this Restaurant does to tourists only, the owners might be in on it, or the staff is stealing both from their boss and his costumers. Extreemly bad restaurant, so I want others to be warned!
    Sinserely,
    pissed out customer

Favorite Dish: Leaving the place..

• Seniors

• Igraine's Profile Photo

Hippo: Easy eating

by Igraine Written Jun 6, 2013

creme brulee, yumm!

Hippo is a chain of restaurant in Paris. We choose this one because it's close to the hotel and on a french restaurant review site this one was rated higher then the others. Better service they said. I guess it is because they are outside the tourist area and only cater to local families. You don't want to loose those customers!

They have a sort of steak menu but also chicken and burgers. You can order seperately or choose a menu. (starter with main or main with dessert or starter, main and dessert, all including a drink).
    We choose main and dessert. I had steak rare with roquefort sauce and a green salad. They have several options for sauces and side dishes.

The restaurant was noisy due to being very crowded and among them families with children. We did not mind but it might put some people off. That might be less in other Hippo restaurants as this location was in a local neighbourhood.

Favorite Dish: The creme brulee was delicious and plentifull. Just as I like it.

• Singles

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Le Hippopotamus: Le Hippopotamus

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

Badridine and I enjoying a glass of wine

Hippo is a chain restaurant located throughout Paris. I would compare this restaurant to an Applebee's, TGI's or equivalent here in the US (East coast).

The food is fairly good, with decent prices and a nice atmosphere. If you are looking for something familiar, this is the place.

We stopped here for lunch after exploring and shopping in Paris. My friend Badridine thought I wanted something familiar and recommended this place.

It isn't a place you would want to go out of your way to dine, and it isn't a typical Paris eatery, but if you are looking for something to eat that is reasonable price wise, that serves familiar food, then this is your place.

Favorite Dish: I had the steak dinner with french fries and a glass of red wine.

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• solopes's Profile Photo

Hippopotamus: No surprises

by solopes Updated Jul 8, 2012

Paris

Being part of a reasonable chain of restaurants, the service is normalized, following the standards chosen by the chain.

Good meat, grilled in a few different combinations, well served, at a regular price.

OK! Not remarkable, but a positive impression.

• ragiaarafa's Profile Photo

hippopotamus: the right place to eat

by ragiaarafa Written Nov 10, 2009

we had the greatest meal for the most reasonable price in hippo restaurant the quality of the food is very good and they have a variety of food that varies between steaks, fillets and burgers beside the famous french foiegras a nice variety of salades,starters and desserts it is a place to eat at

Favorite Dish: what i really loved in this place is the way they serve their main dish with unlimited number of side dishes and sauces you can choose one kind of side dish or all of them in the same time same for the sauces the side dishes are very tasty specially the mix vegetables [ratattouille ] and the potatoes gratin

• HJIL's Profile Photo

Hippo: Yum and they are all over Paris

by HJIL Updated Aug 24, 2006

Mostly hamburgers, steaks, stuff like that, you get to choose two side dishes (or maybe one, memory is fuzzy), and then you can order seconds and thirds of the side dish for free if you want, so if you are with someone, each should order a different side and then when you finish you can ask for more. They have an ice cream with strawberries on top that is divine. I like this place, the prices are good and you get a good meal and no surprises, the service was very friendly and helpful, even though I am American :-)

Update from last time I was there: The last time I was there, the service was not as nice and the restaurant was really hot, as the sun stays out late in the summer. All I can do is to suggest going in the spring/fall/winter or later at night when the sun won't be coming through the window. I also think that it got more expensive. Inflation in Europe, all of the chain restaurants seem more expensive than I remembered.

Favorite Dish: They have a veggie burger which is ok, not great and not bad, but that was the only vegetarian thing on the menu. I came back a few times, so I have no complaints

• whitelilysummerain's Profile Photo

hippopotamus: Quite American really

by whitelilysummerain Written Aug 15, 2006

This was where we first ate while in Paris because it was only place we found open at 4pm.
    There was set menu options which sadly didn't include a creme brulee as a desert, but was good value as it was the same price as just a main course.
    The kids got chips and nuggets in a basket that was twice the amount I'd ever seen served before, but were then given smarties ice creams for desert not chocolate as ordered.
    My desert of what I thought was apple pie turned out to be apple chunks with a ball of ice cream ontop with pie crust pieces inside the ice cream.
    The staff were friendly and spoke enough English to put us right with what choice comes with what.
    I enjoyed it and thought it very good value and I'm suprised at how American it appeared.
    Around 15 euros for two course option per adult, I think maybe around 8 euros for the childrens two course set menu.
    Four meals ( 2 adult & 2 children) plus drinks came to less than 55 euros.

Favorite Dish: Grilled chicken and baked potatoe.

• Theme Park Trips

• Diana75's Profile Photo

Hippo: Hippopotamus - Les Halles

by Diana75 Updated Feb 1, 2006

Hippopotamus Les Halles

With more than 71 restaurants, Hippo is a well-known brand spread all over France.
    We have tried the restaurant located in Les Halles and, although it was a Friday night and the restaurant was full, we had a really good time and we enjoyed a very tasteful food.

Here is what we have tried (pictures attached):
    Menu HippoDuo - EUR 14.5 (First + Second or Second + Dessert)
    Assiette de Mezze (Salade d’aubergines, Tarama, Hounous and Tzadziki) - EUR 9.9

Second: Brochette de boeuf or Blanc de Poulet au Grill ou Piece du Boucher
    Dessert: Creme renversee or Coupe delice or Mousse au chocolat noir

• Wine Tasting
    • Beer Tasting

• Hippo: Fast food..

by kedi+ Written Oct 15, 2003

Learning

Actually I was expecting sth better.. We ordered a steak with patatoes but it arrived a plate full of patatoes with a small piece of burnt meat.. Also the service was not good enough.. Anyway, my worst experience of Paris..

Favorite Dish: Whilst waiting for the plates to arrive, I studied some french to communicate well..

• 'Hippopotamus' restaurant.

by maxovna Written Sep 12, 2002

'Hippopotamus' restaurant.
    Everything is very tasty! Delicious!

Favorite Dish: Grilled chicken fillet, huge baked potatoes, rings of pastry filled with onions fried in oil with 7 different sauses.

• yakacik's Profile Photo

yakacik's Restaurant Tip

by yakacik Written Aug 24, 2002

www.hippopotamus fr/

Favorite Dish: Brioche façon pain perdu
    34,50 F - 5,26
    Attention risque de forte dépendance ! Une belle tranche de brioche moelleuse, imprégnée à coeur d'un mélange d'oeuf, lait et vanille, grillée, puis nappée d'une sauce caramel irrésistible. Servie tiède avec une boule vanille, vous allez fondre immédiatement.

• Roeffie's Profile Photo

5crHippo Resto Les Halles: Excellent grilled specialities!

by Roeffie Updated Aug 7, 2003

Hippo Resto

Goods tasty grilled specialties, informal athmosphere cheap for parisien standards.

All kinds of grilled food fish and meat. Nice thing they can be found throughout Paris. I only know thisone!

Instant Answers: Paris