L'Eté en Pente Douce, Paris

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 8 Reviews

23, rue Muller 01.42.64.02.67

• Me in front of L'ete En Pente Douce - Thumbs up!
    Me in front of L'ete En Pente Douce -...
    Stuffed Peppers in Saffron Sauce
    Pork and Green Beans
  • jemima62's Profile Photo

L'Ete en Pente Douce: Montmartre but not as we know it

by jemima62 Updated Feb 23, 2009

Salad of chicken, bacon and 'gizzards'!

We sought this place out as it had received some good reviews on VT and also cropped up in a book of Paris bistros that I have found to be reliable. I'm so glad we did as it has become a favourite of ours for lunch if we're anywhere near the 18th. It's very casual and popular with local people. Tourists (like us!) do find it but it's not overrun at all as it's away from the hustle and bustle of the Place due Tertre area of Montmartre down one of those very steep staircases and takes a little bit of seeking out. You can spot it by the brightly coloured tables outside. There is always a good range of vegetarian dishes on the menu, as well as daily specials, usually including a fish dish and classics like Blanquette de veau (veal in white wine and cream sauce).

Favorite Dish: The last time we ate there I had a huge salad with chicken, bacon and the delightfully named 'gizzards' e.g. chicken livers etc! That may sound offputting to some but it was actually delicious and so beautifully presented that I took a photo before I tucked in! To drink we usually get something like a 50cl pichet of Touraine which is excellent value.

• tzuki's Profile Photo

L´ete en Pente Douce: Glacier-Pastisserie-Restaurant-Salon de Thé

by tzuki Written Oct 26, 2008

The area

L´ete en Pente Douce is beautiful inside, beautiful outside.
    It is one of those places that catch your attention because it is different from the rest.
    It is colourful place and the service is fantastic. The food awesome! Really a good experience to try.

Favorite Dish: I had some white fish with vegetables and my partner had a huge cornish pastry with chips.
    We also had another pair of crepes - one with chocolat and another with sugar.

• L'ete En Pente Douce: Great place for vegans

by RussianWulfgar Written Sep 7, 2008
    Stuffed Peppers in Saffron Sauce

As a vegan, I found it extremely difficult to eat in Paris restaurants. My boyfriend (who is a carnivore) and I had to search about 10 restaurants to find 1 I could eat in, every time we went out to eat. Luckily, we used Rick Steve's France book and he recommended L'ete en Pente Douce. It was beautiful and our meal was great. I was torn between the lasagna and the stuffed peppers, but as you can see from the pictures I've attached, I went with the stuffed peppers in saffron sauce, and my boyfriend ordered the pork. He wasn't thrilled with his dish but said it was good. I loved my peppers, they were terrific. The atmosphere was wonderful, our waitress was nice although she laughed at me a little bit when I tried to ask her something in French (but everyone in Paris laughed at me when I tried to speak French so I was used to it). It was a very romantic dinner, the wine, the people around us all sitting outside in the street on the cobblestones, I loved it all. I definitely recommend this place, especially for vegans. We tried their sister restaurant, La Fourmi Ailee, and it was even more excellent.

Favorite Dish: I only had the stuffed peppers in saffron sauce. The peppers were cooked just right, the stuffing was aromatic and delicious, and the tofu base was the right texture and tasty, I wish I could make this at home. I especially liked the saffron sauce. I've never had saffron sauce before, but it was so delicious and complemented the peppers very, very well. This was one of the best meals I had in Paris, I will never forget it.

• Museum Visits

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

L'Été en Pente Douce: "Summer on a Gentle Slope"

by BeatChick Updated Dec 2, 2007

L'��t�� en Pente Douce

L'Été en Pente Douce

Roughly translated as summer on a gentle slope, this restaurant/tea room's (opened in 1990) eponymous title is from a 1987 Gerard Krawczyk film. I believe it refers to its sitting on a square facing the sloping hill coming down from Sacré-Cœur. Part of that sloping hill is a garden (Square Willette) that you can meander through; indeed many people were doing just that. The lovely tree-filled greenery was peaceful to look upon from the terrasse & it was difficult to believe we were so close to tourist-soaked Place du Parvis du Sacré-Cœur.

Service is brisk & efficient. I made the acquaintance of 2 English ladies while here first trip & one was complaining about how awful the FRENCH were, THESE FRENCH pretend they don't speak English, how they never cracked a smile. At that moment her server came up from behind her, I made eye contact, smiled, & she smiled in return, but upon presenting the food immediately returned to her professional demeanor.

This past trip the server kindly gave me one of the menus for a keepsake along with 6 of their cards.
    Photos: November 2007

Favorite Dish: For lunch both trips I ate salade niçoise (11.90€ - my God, it was a HUGE salad – wunnnnderful with it's fillet of tuna, niçoise olives, eggs, tomato, onions, tapenade and bread spread with anchovy paste topped with a creamy mustard vinaigrette) served with their hefty/dense homemade brown bread, a cheese platter (5.90€ - this past trip was Reblochon de Savoie). First trip I tried the pichet of the very drinkable house wine (6.80€ - A.O.C. Touraine 50cl); this trip a friend & I shared a bottle of the La Treille Muscate (15€ - Vin de pays de Cucugnan, un Corbière bio, 2005). I also started out with an aperitif of kir pêche (3.80€) while we finished up dinner with café (2€); alas, no room for dessert! Inexpensive good food, and extremely satisfying.

Open 7 days a week from noon 'til after midnight.
    Chef: Jean-Luc Brillet
    Reservations recommended

They also own La Fourmi Ailée near Notre Dame in the Latin Quarter.

I read about this restaurant in:
    Cadogan Guides Paris (2002 ed)
    Mapeasy's Guidemap to Paris
    The Paris Café Cookbook by Daniel Young (which includes a recipé for their Tarte au Citron et Pruneaux ~ Lemon Tart w/Prune Preserves - 5.50€)
    Rick Steves' Paris 2003

• Wine Tasting

• L'été en pente douce: Give this place a miss! There are better places

by Glennsmyth Written May 8, 2007

Having read the other reviews on Virtual Tourist, we were looking forward to our meal at this restaurant.
    We were wholly disappointed with our experience and I felt strongly enough that I had to write this review to warn others to give it a wide berth.

The restaurant is in a nice location down a large set of steps on the right hand side of the Sacre Coeur. Coffees cost approximately €4 and freshly squeezed juice was priced exorbitantly at €6.50 for a glass.

Our main dishes were priced at appoximately €12-15 which is about average for the location.

Being a vegetarian I ordered the tofu lasagne which was served up luke-warm. Not a good start as we were one of the only people eating there. It came without a leaf of salad.

2 others in my group ordered the veal, which was fatty and greyish in colour. It looked miserable.

My partner who is also vegetarian ordered the Goats Cheese Salad, which was adequate but was arranged inexplicably on what we could only deduce was some sort of beef pattie.

We didn't hang around to sample the desserts.

The staff were not very friendly.

This was by far the worst meal we had during our stay in Paris and there are so many other places in the locality serving up superior fare.

Favorite Dish: Not applicable

• Business Travel

• davequ's Profile Photo

L'ete en pente douce: Best Dejeuner in Montmartre (my opinion)

by davequ Updated Oct 14, 2005

Best lunch in Montmartre

A tip of the hat to fossettes
    fossettes Kelly Anne

here at VT.
    Kelly Anne:
    your tip to me was right on & greatly appreciated.
    Here is my homage to you.

L'ete en Pente Douce sits to the "east/left" of and down the stairs from the Sacre Couer. Forget dejeuner anywhere else in Montmartre... this is (imho) the place.

Favorite Dish: Tourte de Bouef.
    See next tip below for a picture and carte.

Tourte de bouef was recommended to me by the lovely lady with the red hair with her back to you by the front door. It was delicious.

Think of french meatloaf "en croute" with sauce à tomatoe (see second pic). It was as good as it looks, and cheap.
    with vin de le maison rouge, fromage, and espresso, of course.

Bonjour. C'est un beau jour dans Montmartre !

• Wine Tasting

• aemilys's Profile Photo

L'été en pente douce: bring your vegitarian friends

by aemilys Updated Sep 19, 2005

From the website

Very nice in the summer, and the winter as well. I always have trouble with my non meat eating friends so this is just a good friendly place

Favorite Dish: From Carpaccio for meat eaters to vegetable delights for the others all is cool ici.

• fossettes's Profile Photo

L'été en pente douce: Keep this a secret, please!

by fossettes Updated Mar 26, 2003

This is a small place, popular with locals, even though it's in one the most tourist intensive areas of Paris, Montmarte. It's a little hard to find, but if you manage to get here, you'll be glad you did!

Located about a third of the way up the steps on the right side of Sacré Coeur at the end of a street, it's a quiet haven in a bustling neighborhood. Keep this a secret please...I want to be able to get a table on the terrace!

Favorite Dish: Without a doubt, the BEST warm chèvre on toast salad in Paris! It's served with soft, yummy figs and is great with a glass of red in the cold weather or a crisp white when the sun is warming the terrace!

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near L'Eté en Pente Douce
4.5 out of 5 stars