La Cigale, Paris

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

La Cigale Recamier: Superb Souffles

by BeatChick Updated Apr 4, 2011

La Cigale Recamier - home of the souffle

This is a wonderful restaurant specializing in soufflés both savory & sweet (desserts). I dined here April 2003 with my friend, StCirq, who is also a regular on Fodor's & runs her own travel forum: Delphi's Francophile forum. She is extremely savvy in all things French because not only has she logged more than 50 trips to Paris in her lifetime BUT she also owns a home in la Dordogne AND she runs a French-to-English language translation business in Washington, DC for government documents so I knew if she loved this place then it was indeed excellent.

I had heard about this place from Sally Fowler (our very own VT Paris expert shrimp56) who is ANOTHER famed Paris expert on the Fodor's travel message boards. She had talked about it so glowingly that I knew we had to check this place out! And an excellent choice it was - thanks, Sally!

For lunch my friend had a crab soufflé while I had the cheese soufflé (artichoke soufflés are in season in June - would love to try those). To finish it off beautifully, for dessert we shared the raspberry soufflé along with more Sancerre. Naturally, after the meal we partook of the fabulous French café. We agreed that everything was sublime & the service was great! Soufflès run about 10-15€ each & the whole bill was less than 50€ for the two of us.

This place is definitely inhabited by locals which is always a good indication that a restaurant is an excellent one.

Please also do yourself the huge favor of checking out shrimp56's Paris page who also states on her tip, The Art of the Soufflé, that this branch is closed. I believe the owners have moved it to 4 rue Récamier under the name of Le Récamier. Unfortunately, reviews are mixed on this new version. But I'm willing to check it out my next trip in February to compare & report back to all you good folks here at VT!

Favorite Dish: Raspberry, crab & cheese soufflés were all excellent!

This past trip (Feb '06) I enjoyed:

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

La Cigale: The Art of the Soufflé * 7e

by shrimp56 Updated Nov 4, 2005

The new La Cigale on rue Recamier

Both main course and dessert soufflés are served. They are perfect every time.
    La Cigale has moved to 4 RUE RECAMIER. Reservations are strongly recommended.
    I visited the new location recently. The signage isn't very clear from the front, but people were happily tucking into their soufflés.

Favorite Dish: I enjoy the artichoke and goat cheese soufflé -- it was magically airy and completely delicious. Another of my favorites is the green watercress souffle with bacon and a poached egg at the center. The dessert souffles are utterly decadent.

• La Cigale Recalmier: Bastille Day. So Lucky. A Reservation. Too Bad

by todocs Written Jul 17, 2009

I felt so lucky when the earringed reservation taker said he could do it. The great souffle. What could be better? They seated us immediately. Where were the other people our man had said made this reservation difficult? My wife and I disagree on this. She says the French can be snobby. I think they deserve to be. Not since I ate here. The blonde seemed too busy to talk about my order. She was folding napkins for the guests with the other reservations. The first souffle, Frois Grois was tasteless. I thought the duck was good. My wife, who cooks, said it was supposed to be like that, only better. I thought the chocolate souffle was good. My wife, the one who cooks, said it was supposed to be soft in the middle except they had left it so long it wasn't. Anyone who gives you a ten o'clock reservation shouldn't be cleaning up noisily by eleven. They should serve you the wine. They should offer you coffee. That's what my wife said. Not at La Cigale Recamier. The blonde paid more attention to the change she was counting. My wife said that anyone so fortunate to be able to eat in Paris on Bastille day should be treated better than we were. Too bad we chose this restaurant. It's hard to go wrong in Paris. They cook so well. Too bad for us that they didn't care for us at La Cigale Recamier.

Favorite Dish: The poor service and rudeness spoiled what may have been tasty.

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near La Cigale
4.5 out of 5 stars