La Fontaine de Mars, Paris

Outside on a summer day
  • shrimp56's Profile Photo

La Fontaine de Mars: Dinner at our favorite bistro *7e

by shrimp56 Updated Oct 11, 2005

We ate here first back in the days when the menu was a purple mimeograph sheet. The new owners have kept the same menu style, now printed, and have maintained the same southwest menu and decor style. Downstairs is a bustling bistro. Upstairs a quieter more elegant dining area.
    Reservations are essential and should be made at least a day ahead. They speak English so no worries there.

Favorite Dish: Well my grilled salmon in lemon cream sauce on a bed of leeks was delicious. Our French friend had the pictured special. Of course I had floating island for dessert!

• cherish's Profile Photo

La Fontaine de Mars: The floating island is to die for!

by cherish Written Feb 5, 2005

Warm service and excellent food are what you can expect from this tiny bistro.

Favorite Dish: EVerything was beyond expectations. Nothing too nouvelle- just excellent Franch comfort food. The Iles Flottantes in unbelievable so save room for dessert.

• Fontaine de Mars: Updated management?

by ouifromage Written Nov 1, 2008

We went on the recommendation of our hotel, and this website - maybe the reviews were old? Anyhoo, we were stuck in the furthest back corner of the place, with two other english-speaking couples. The tourist corner. My wife's scallops special was good, but my salmon was dramatically undercooked - we're talking cold sushi. Then we got charged 6.5 Euros for a coffee, and our total bill came to over 80 Euro... So, very expenisive, not welcoming to tourists, and hit-or-miss food. The other anglo-diners in our corner were equally miffed.

• hwaiii's Profile Photo

La Fontaine de Mars: Excellent Food and Great Service

by hwaiii Updated Apr 4, 2011

The restaurant is right next to the Fontaine De Mars on rue Saint-Dominique, is decorated with oak paneling and has a upscale but traditional Bistro feel to it (though I was not uncomfortable in designer jeans and a sport short). The staff are all very helpful and provide excellent service. The food is traditional French and is excellent. Though I do not consider myself a wine expert, they had a large selection and were very helpful in making a choice. I always feel that a good measure of the quality of a restaurant is the number of local regulars; we sensed that a good portion of the patrons were well to-do locals. My wife and I ate there twice and had a wonderful experience both times. I would highly recommend it, but be sure to make reservations ahead.

• geekgrrl's Profile Photo

La Fontaine de Mars: Excellent dinner!

by geekgrrl Written Apr 19, 2004

This was a cozy delightful restaurant in a residential area. This restaurant had been recommended to us by friends, and it was an excellent tip!

Favorite Dish: I had a veal chop, pate, potatoes, crème brûlée, and coffee.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

La Fontaine de Mars: La Fontaine de Mars * 7e

by shrimp56 Updated Jun 21, 2005

Outside on a summer day

La Fontaine de Mars was run for many years by an old couple from southwestern France. The new management has wisely kept the same warm bistro feel while updating the food and, alas, raising the prices. For me it is still a wonderful place for a special meal.
    In the summer you can eat outside. Inside downstairs is a comfy bistro setting, while upstairs is a little more formal. The food is southwestern French. The house wine is Chinon.
    The service is welcoming and professional -- many of the waiters speak some English.

Favorite Dish: The dessert: Iles flottantes.
    The cassoulet... mmmmm

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near La Fontaine de Mars
4.5 out of 5 stars