La Grolle de Montmartre, Paris

28, rue la Vieuville 75018 Paris

• La Grolle de Montmartre
    by Sunshine64
  • Sunshine64's Profile Photo

La Grolle de Montmartre: Cheese, glorious cheese!

by Sunshine64 Updated Oct 25, 2002

This place is a cheese fest! The owner and his wife are also the cook and server, from what I could gather. They only speak French. While one of my friends is French, and has been to this restaurant so many times that the owners know him (even though he does not live in Paris!), the owner spoke jovially to all of us in French, as if we could understand him.

In addition to the food, after dinner you must try the Grolle, for which, I assume the restaurant was named. It's a drink/device that is shared by the whole table.

(I have no idea about the prices, as I did not see the bill, but VT made me enter something - so I guessed)

Favorite Dish: There were 6 of us, and we had 3 different melted cheese dishes (for 2).

One was like fondue, with melted cheese in a pot and a burner underneath.

Another was a huge wedge of cheese with heating elements above to melt it. The melted cheese dripped onto a plate.

The thrid cheese-melting apparatus reminded me of an ancient Easy Bake Oven. It was a metal box, and you put something that looked like a miniature cast iron skillet inside it and melted the top layer of the cheese in the skillet. When a layer of the cheese is just melted, but not burnt, you scrape it onto your plate with a wooden spatula.

Each of these melted cheese dishes came with various things for dipping: bread, ham, etc. It was great fun!

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near La Grolle de Montmartre
3.5 out of 5 stars