Laduree, Paris

by chatterley
    The enticing window
    by Gypsystravels
  • Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Laduree: Excellent place for that delicious Macroon!

by Gypsystravels Updated Jan 25, 2013

D with her bag of delicious macroons

When I think of Macroons I always think of Lauduree, a French institution that has been around since the late 1800's.

Although Laduree also sells other delicious delicacies like chocolates and pastries, the macroons are hands down the most famous of their pastries. These heavenly little treats come in a variety of flavors which are offered year round as well as some seasonal flavors. There are four locations here in Paris and my favorite is the location on the Champs Elysees.

The treats can be purchased in cute gift boxes which you can hand pick your own flavors as well as purchase 1 or 100.

There are four locations here in Paris and I have been to two of those locations, but my favorite is the location on the Champs Elysees.

Favorite Dish: I love their gift boxes. I usually buy their Pampille box which hold 8 macroons which I take back home, if they make it that long. My favorite flavors so far are the Black Currant Violet, Caramel with Salted Butter, Rose and the Pistachio, YUM!!

• Photography

• chatterley's Profile Photo

Ladurée: More than Macarons

by chatterley Written Jul 10, 2010

Foie Gras with a mimosa macaron @ Laduree

Founded in 1862, Laduree is synonymous with the word "macarons", selling a reported 15,000 of these sweet desserts every day!

We went to Laduree Royale, located on Rue Royale (in arrondissement 8), near to some luxury brand stores (e.g. Longchamp and Furla). Like Angelina, the interior decoration is very beautiful, and service was good.

We ordered foie gras served with a mimosa macaron and coffee. The foie gras was melt-in-your-mouth good, and the mimosa macaron tasted delicious! Before we left, we also ordered macarons (take-away) - we bought 8 in different flavours (2nd picture). Pistachio was my favourite flavour.

Favorite Dish: The macarons (in any flavour.... almost! Not crazy about the rose-flavoured one!)

• cochinjew's Profile Photo

La Duree: Owned and Managed by Luis Vuitton PLC

by cochinjew Written May 29, 2008

housed in an elegant mansion, this cafe and tea room dating back to the eighteenth century, the tea room probably there before the present cafe was founded in 1862. elegant elegant fittings and surroundings. friendly service and professional manners.
    i was told that the waiters are actually trainees from the Luis Vuitton Plc group and that they are managers in training and this is their work study time to learn about service, so the waiter who served you many be managing a Luis Vuitton store near you..

Favorite Dish: Cakes of all sorts
    the one i liked was Plaisir Sucre

The bathroom is worth looking at, for the flavour of a bygone era

• Paris92's Profile Photo

Laduree: Parisian Classic

by Paris92 Written Apr 13, 2008

Ladurée has become much more commercial in recent years and therefore very touristy, but it’s still a quintessential Parisian place and one of those places that everyone has their own stories about—here’s mine: On a very, very rainy day, my family and I ducked into the one in the Madeline area, just to re-group and let the rain pass. As we were sitting there a woman came in who looked like a Toulouse-Lautrec character—bright red shirt, perfect posture, very interesting face—had to have been a dancer at some point. She looked like she was waiting for a date who just never showed up. Long after the skies cleared we were there putting together her story. We couldn’t get ourselves to leave until after she did.

Favorite Dish: Macaroons

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Laduree: Ladurée - Salon de Thé

by BeatChick Updated Jan 21, 2008

Ladur��e Gift Box

LADUREE

Macarons are the signature confections you'll find at Ladurée which consists of a sandwich made of 2 halves of paper-thin crisp shell, chewy moist cookie part while the middle is filled with a buttercream ganache or a confiture (jam). The best thing about macarons is that as they get a little bit older (they can be held for up to a week) they just get a bit crustier & chewier. Of course, if you love they way they taste when fresh then you can freeze them.

These are not at all like macaroons - those hard, crusty, coconut-infused concoctions - I don't care for those at all. Ahh, but macarons THOSE are my favorites! I've tried different macarons at Ladurée, Pierre Hermé, The Ritz, Sadaharu Aoki, Paul, Miss' Manon, Le Valentin, and La Chocolaterie in Chartres which specializes in macarons, but my favorites so far are Ladurée's!

They also have lovely chocolates (see the 5th photo)!

You'll find this salon de thé at 4 locations in the city (see below). My favorite location is in the 6th arrondissement on the corner of rues Jacob & Bonaparte, a perfect spot for a spot o' tea.

It's the perfect little luxury - try just one small macaron (1.40€ for each tiny tasty pastry, 21.50 for a boite of 15) - FANTABULOUS! I think you will be wowed, too.

You may also be interested in Laduree's cookbook - check it out! The cost is about $30-40 and is written in French with "full page luscious pictures of all the recipes" according to Fodor's poster, slopugs.

Favorite Dish: Some of the more popular flavors (gleaned from an informal poll on www.fodors.com) are as follows:
    pistachio (light green color)
    chocolate
    rose
    almond
    raspberry
    coffee
    Lemon (very refreshing)
    violet-flavoured blackcurrant (delicious)
    Lime/Basil (surprisingly good)

UPDATE:
    These are the flavors I tried this trip (11/07)(gift box):
    From the 1st photo - clockwise from center/top:
    Rose* (still my all-time favorite; its rose butter cream is fabulous)
    Pistache* - Pistachio
    Gingembre - Gingerbread (holiday flavor)
    Caramel au beurre salé* - Salted Butter Caramel
    Fleur d'Oranger* - Orange Flower (delicate, sweet flavor)

My new flavors from previous trip (2/06)(macarons on napkin)
    From the 1st photo - clockwise from top:
    Pistache* - Pistachio
    Poivre de Java - Black Pepper
    Cassis Violette - Blackcurrant Violet (this has a confiture, or jam, filling)
    Fleur d'Oranger* - Orange Flower
    Rose*
    Caramel au beurre salé* - Salted Butter Caramel

*my absolute favorites

See website for complete list of flavors - you will drool!!

Photos: Feb 2006

• travelswithsteve's Profile Photo

La Duree: Cakes and Chocolates

by travelswithsteve Written Aug 23, 2006

It's a pattiserie really, and thay have four shops in Paris (oh, and one in Harrods in London)
    Its just stylish olde world charm to put it simply.
    The operation has been going since 1862 and is beautifully done.

Favorite Dish: If you like fresh cakes, chocolates and things that are scrummy, you'll never leave.

• Seniors

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Laduree: Macaroon Heaven!

by SFHulaGIrl Written Jul 27, 2006

I'd heard so much about the macaroons from this place that I simply had to try them. It's true -- they're divine!

I went to the location nearest the Opera. Around 4:00 p.m. on a Wednesday, they were packed, with a line for items pour emporter.

Favorite Dish: I bought 8 mini macaroons which are packaged in a lovely box (12E). You choose your own flavors. My choices were the chocolate, rose petal, pistachio, red fruits, mint, lemon, raspberry, and hazelnut. My favorites were the raspberry, red fruits and pistachio. My least favorite was the mint.

• LBKesner's Profile Photo

Laduree: Great for tea or a close-to-midnight snack....

by LBKesner Updated Feb 14, 2006

Macaroons and rose-flavored tea....

Pleasant surroundings, a great place to spend an afternoon looking at the world go by on the Champs-Elysees or nice place to end an evening. When we arrived without reservations, we waited about 20 minutes in line at tea time, but at night, we walked in without even that much of a wait.

Favorite Dish: The hot chocolate is just thick enough, just smooth enough. The macaroons alone are worth a trip to Paris. We sampled some of the traditional and some of the more exotic flavors on offer during our February 2006 visit: black pepper, orange blossom, jasmine, rose petal, pistachio, caramel with fine sea salt, etc.

• Laduree: A dessert you can't miss

by jonbarb709 Written Jan 26, 2006

There are a number of Laduree in Paris. The one we stopped in was on the avenue Champs Elysees. It made a nice stop after all the walking. Its croweded, tourist, locals, everyone seems to stop here. Its just beautiful inside.

Favorite Dish: The dessert is why you are going. Everything else is OK. But the dessert - the Macroons and just fantastic. They also have boxes that you can take them home, they make great gifts.

• lohki's Profile Photo

Laduree: Old World Tea

by lohki Updated Dec 3, 2005

There are a few Laduree locations in Paris, the one I went to is just down the street from Eglise Madeleine!
    I must confess that I had expected a very elegant, quiet, ladies who lunch type experience and really ended up in more of a circus than anything!
    Saturday's.... NOT a good choice to sit down. Very busy, very hectic!
    I sure enjoyed holding strong though. I am positive my waitress was less than impressed that I intended to actually sit and have more than a pastry and a coffee. Politeness goes a long way .....It never pays to be rude to your server, especially in Paris...
    BUT
    I will completely admit that I stood my ground, took my time, ordered not one, but two kir's AND coffee with a macaroon.
    How do I know she was desperate to turn my table... by the eye roll at "cafe s.v.p.” and the fact that the 7 euro macaroon was fairly thrown at me and my table!

Favorite Dish: The plate of smoked salmon served with creme fraiche(?) was impeccable!
    I was a little sad since I was hoping for one of their towering salads; I guess the Madeline location does not make them.
    However, everything was superb... even with the frantic atmosphere.
    I will come back, just not on the weekends... or at usual lunch hours!

• londonlover's Profile Photo

La Duree: Parisian pastries at their best

by londonlover Updated Jul 17, 2005

Not a bad facade, eh?

This beautiful bakery/cafe is situated on the Champs d'Elysses, and has prices to match...but one look at the pastry display will push that to the back of your mind...

You can sit down inside or on the sidewalk, or just order your pastries to go, which is what I did. A Paris instution!

Favorite Dish: Try the macaroons--they come in several flavors--chocolate, almond, pistachio, etc. Not traditional American-style macaroons at all--these are denser and more intensely flavored, and there's no coconut here--it's actually a blend of almond paste and other flavorings!

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Laduree

by CALSF Updated May 26, 2005

Ladure on Champs Elysees

Laduree is one of Paris's most famous, popular tearooms. The original Laduree branch is located in the 8th district at 16 rue Royale. This branch was founded in 1862, therefore, the salon is old-fashioned and plush. It even has a frescoed ceiling.

The Laduree branch that I frequent is the one in St. Germain at 21 rue Bonaparte. It's well-located to my hotels. In addition to the two locations listed above there are is one additional branch located at 75 av. des Champs Elysees.

They all feature sit down menu service in the tearooms adjacent to the counter service areas.

Favorite Dish: Laduree is world-famous for its macarons. These are not the sticky, cocounut macaroons that Americans are familiar with. The Parisian macarons are actually two flavored meringue discs with a filling in between them. They come in many flavors such as licorice (!), pistachio, cafe, currant, chestnut, etc. I have noticed others purchasing boxes of these macarons to bring home as souvenirs too.
    I do not have any favorite pastry as they are all good! Examples are the croissants, apple pastries, and mille feuilles.

• Mantissa77's Profile Photo

Laduree: The Masters of Macaroons

by Mantissa77 Updated Jul 30, 2004
    Laduree Business Card

Laduree. Good food, nice ambience, charming service and wonderful desserts.

The outlets have classic french tea salon settings and the staff are very helpful. The Rue Royale and Printemps outlets do not have dinner menus.

The detailed menus can be accessed at Laduree's website.

Favorite Dish: Food is good. But the desserts, oh the desserts! All the desserts I've tried there were wonderful.

Take for example the Chocolate Square. The menu tantalizes with "Dark chocolate macaroon base, crispy leaves of dark chocolate, thick dark chocolate cream, moist dark chocolate sponge, chocolate zabaglione mousse."

But mere words do no justice to the Laduree desserts. Order them. They are great stuff.

Incidentally, Laduree is the master of macaroons. They have a great variety and even do seasonal specials, like coconut macaroons for summer.

• Erin74's Profile Photo

La Duree: LaDuree- Excellent macaroons, chic setting

by Erin74 Updated Apr 30, 2004

The Laduree shop near the Opera

Laduree, founded in 1862, is a French institution and a great place to stock up on some delicious chocolates, pastries, and macaroons.

The macaroons are the most famous delicacy at Laduree and they come in flavors like violet, rose, cassis, amaretto, salty caramel, tea, and bitter lime, to name just a few. The four stores in Paris sell more than 800 macaroons a day and are incredibly popular. When I stopped in to the shop near Opera Garnier, the little store was totally packed with people waiting to buy macaroons. The stores claim to serve more than 3,000 customers a day.

If you'd like to sit down for tea, Laduree is the perfect place to do that. The interior is painted in a lovely mint green with lots of lush fabric swags and makes for a very relaxing and luxurious experience.

Laduree has multiple locations, but the first store was opened at 16, rue Royale in 1862. The founder, Louis Ernest Ladur?e, watched his store grow into a Parisian insitution. You must stop in to Laduree while you are in Paris and sample their delicious treats!

Favorite Dish: The macaroons are the thing to try at LaDuree. All the flavors are fantastic, but I'm most partial to their caramel and chocolate flavors. Just delicious!!

The macaroons are expensive. It's 3 euro each for the larger size and just over 1 euro for the mini size. You can also buy boxes of the macaroons starting at about 29 euro. You can pick out the flavors yourself and an attendant will scoop them out of their indivudual bins behind the counter as you request them.

• djou_box's Profile Photo

Dalloyau or Laduree: My sweet sweet macarons !!!

by djou_box Updated Feb 25, 2004

Lovely macarons

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE either Dalloyau's or Ladur?e's macarons...
    if you don't like macarons, try any other dessert ! (for instance, Dalloyau's mille feuilles is great too)
    you can also go to Pierre Herm?'s shop for good macarons although I didn't try them...

Favorite Dish: my favorite are raspberry or chocolate macarons...

Instant Answers: Paris