Le Coupe Chou, Paris

• Le Coupe Chou
    by ChicBaby
  • Le Coupe Chou: Really, really terrible experience

by jerrykiernan Updated May 10, 2007

Arrived at 1 pm for lunch - looking forward to it based on numerous reviews and personal recommendations.
    We were seated in the first room (charming) and ignored for quite a while.
    Summary:
    Famous Beef Bourgignon - overcooked, dry
    My wife's steak tartare consisted of 4 scoops of meat and two very samll pieces of chopped tomato. Period. No condiments, nothing. Aslo, she had ordered potato panckaes (even pointing to them on the menu) and receives potatos dauphinois - which the waiter (when we tracked him down) insisted were potato pancakes.
    Red wine was delivered when white had been ordered (and I know enough French to say "blanc").
    We had the distinct feeling we were keeping the waiter from his nap. The cooks didn't do much that day either.
    My wife had ordered creme brulee, but we were so unhappy, we skipped that, paid and left.
    Nice atmosphere, terrible service an mediocre food (at best). At least it was expensive.

Favorite Dish: None

• Le Coupe Chou: Really Bad Visit

by jerrykiernan Updated May 10, 2007

Arrived at 1 pm for lunch - looking forward to it due to numerous reviews.
    We're were seated in the first room (charming) and ignored for quite a while.
    Summary:
    Wrong wine delivered (Red, not white)
    Famous Beef Bourgignon was over cooked and dry
    My wife's steak tarare consisted on 4 scoops of meat with 2 small pieces of tomato - period. No condomints, no nothing. Also, her choice of side dish potatoes was ignored and another type delivered. The waiter argued that she had received potato pancakes, but ... she received potatos dauphinoius! (She had even pointed to the correct item on the menu!!)
    We were so unhappy, we skipped coffee and creme brulet (but paid for it) and left!
    This is what one terrible waiter can do! Actuall, the cooks didn't do much that day either.

Favorite Dish: None

• morochaargentina's Profile Photo

Le Coupe Chou: Very Romantic Restaurant

by morochaargentina Written Feb 16, 2006

My fiancee and I were looking for a very romantic Fench restaurant and we've read about this place and decided to go. What an amazing choice!!! We've been travel for several months now and we can not forget about this wonderful night. The restaurant is in 3 historic houses from the 16th, 17th and 18th century. There are different rooms, what makes the ambient very private and cozy. You feel you are back in time!

Favorite Dish: We had all Frech traditional food, which was to die for! (duck, foi grass, etc etc)

• CALSF's Profile Photo

Le Coupe Chou: Atmospheric and Wonderful

by CALSF Written Jul 23, 2005

Le Coupe Chou's facade

Le Coupe Chou features classic homestyle French cuisine. However, it's the restaurant itself that's unique. It's located uphill from rue des Ecoles in the Latin Qtr. If you are not familiar with the area you may not find it easily as it's at the end of an alley and across from the College de France. The facade is covered with ivy and it looks like a shack honestly.

There are several dining rooms and the first one is where I was seated. It's dark and has a few tables both for parties of two or more. And there is a huge fireplace at one end of the room. Candles are placed on all tables which are covered in white tablecloths.

Favorite Dish: I had the 32 euro prix fixe menu with a starter of Salade Coupe Chou (lettuce and chopped tomatoes accompanied by lardons or bacon), boeuf bourgignon, and a mousse au chocolat. Red wine and coffee were extras.
    The beef was excellent and very tender and it was accompanied by a most flavorful gravy and pearl onions.

• ChicBaby's Profile Photo

Le Coupe Chou: Romantic YES!

by ChicBaby Written Feb 20, 2005

For Valentine’s Day dinner, my husband and I went to Le Coupe Chou (www.lecoupechou). If you go to the website you will see a nice slide show of the various rooms of the restaurants. It absolutely much better and romantic in person! Valentine’s Day evening was very cold and going into this warm, French, rustic restaurant was like being transported to a different world. We were seated in front of a fireplace. Candles everywhere, the lights to compliment were low but not too dark. We choose the following from the Valentine’s Day Menu (51 E): My husband had the Feuilleté de Saint Jacques sur Lit de Fenouil, Filet de Bœuf en Feuilleté Pommes Dauphines, Marbré aux Trois Chocolats. I choose the Homard sur lit de Mesclun, Magret de Canard aux Pêches, Marbré aux Trois Chocolats. Service was quick, prompt, attentive yet not rushed. The waiters spoke enough English to explain the menu and there was no dress code or “French” snootiness. Reservations are critical!

Favorite Dish: We both enjoyed the Feuilleté de Saint Jacques, Magret de Canard aux Pêches, and Marbré aux Trois Chocolats.

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Le Coupe Chou: Very atmospheric, lovely food

by bdwoot Written Jan 19, 2005

It is across the alley from Le Petit Prince de Paris, another nice place. It is a building from the 13th century. It is the kind of place you go for boeuf bourguingnon or coq au vin. There is a fireplace to keep things cozy, and though the tables are closely set you seem to have enough privacy.

Favorite Dish: There is this pear dessert where it was soaked in mother's milk or something as incredible. I get it every time I am there.

I also had a very pleasant canard there.

My wife loves the Ile Flottant (spelling?).

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

LE COUPE CHOU: WHEN IN NEED TO RESTORE BODY AND SOUL....

by eden_teuling Updated Apr 10, 2004

WONDERFUL RESTAURANT.....

as you can see in the picture it is the atmosphere that attracted us. I love looking trhough the windows first or open the door to feel/see if I like it....

This is a former Louis XII-style home, between the Panthéon, Nothre Dame et Sorbonne (University)

Favorite Dish: Being a vegetarian I always prefer a fishdish and is seems that that is boring but no: each restaurant has it own ways to surprise you!!

AN EXTRA: you will receive a warm welcome with a free drink - Kir Royal - in exchange for this card which you get at your hotel....

Kir Royal is an alcoholic drink with very sweet syrop in it: a fine appetizer.....not too sweet but making you feel warm inside.....

• Le Coupe Chou: Le Coupe Chou

by smartiesam Written Aug 24, 2002

There's a set menu of 350FF and about 5 choices at each course. If youyr want foie gras or cheese ..there's a small supplement and this price doesn't include and drinks. After dinner, you can choose to take coffee in the lounge, which is very comfortable.but anti-smokers beware....smoking including cigars is allowed in the lounge so you'd probably be better taking it at your table.
    The building itself is old and on several little floors...each one forming a little dining room..there are wooden floors and stone walls. The outside of the restaurant is covered in ivy. They play discreet classical music...it's romantic and charming..with real log fires. I think it's best visited in the late Autumn through te Spring as the fires give extra charm when then weather's chilly.

Favorite Dish: Beef Bourginion served in a copper pot.
    My friends speak strongly of the vegertarian tartare.

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Le Coupe Chou
4.0 out of 5 stars