Le Dome, Paris

l'horreur.... l'horreur....
    Sole heaven & one of Man Ray's hangouts
  • Le Dome and Le Bistrot du Dome: Le Dome is not for Americans

by carolebuckner Written Jun 25, 2007

Recently I took my entire family to Paris. It would most likely be our last vacation together as my father has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. One night we went into the Le Dome resturant in the 7th arrondissment for a late night dinner. The owner immediately picked up on our accent and set upon us with anti-american insults and cursing. On of the waiters was embarrassed and told us that the owner was "Mean and drunk" but when the cursing became so offensive (we had young children with us) we had to leave. I have been to France and Paris many times, and this was the first experience I have had like this. If you are English speaking and want to eat there, you better say that you are Canadian.

Favorite Dish: We weren't allowed to order.

• davequ's Profile Photo

Le Dome and Le Bistrot du Dome: Le Dome & "Dome lite"

by davequ Updated Feb 20, 2007

Sole heaven & one of Man Ray's hangouts

I had to go back to the Dome for fish this year. But as a terrace freak and as part of my "cheaper eats" resolution for this trip I ate at Bistro outside this time.

The moules and sole meuniere are still out of this world.

By habit and because I like the personality, the history, (and the quiet) I always make my home in Montparnasse.
    Too tired to jump into the Metro for dinner at some other location: no problem. There are 2 good choices for food right in the neighborhood: Le Dome and Le Bistrot du Dome, or Dome & "dome lite" right across rue Delambre from each other.

Both are owned & run by the same family.
    Previously one of the original "annees folles or "crazy years" cafes, the Dome is now a classic, upscale restaurant, and Bistrot du Dome is a smaller, less expensive, more casual bistrot with some tables on the terrace.

Both Dome and Bistrot Dome specialize in fish (with Dome adding fresh oysters / shellfish) and since they share the same ownership and philosophy, both do it very well.

Decide what type of experience & ambience you are looking for: the formal French indoor dining hedonistic extravaganza; or the laid back bistrot with the option of some tables on the rue Delambre terrace.
    I will personally always love Montparnasse, and both Dome & bistrot du Dome are part of the reason why.

Favorite Dish: At Le Dome any dish of mussels & sole; the bigger Dome has good fresh oysters.

Across the street at Le Bistrot Du Dome 1 rue Delambre the food is equally delicious, just no fresh oysters, but you can sit outside. It's cheaper and more for casual dining / people-watching.

Bottom line: both have great food & ambience for whatever mood you are in at the time. Dome lite Bistrot will run you $30-40 max while pigging out a la carte at Le Dome will set you back $75- $100 due to decline of the dollar.

Both are great -- pick your poissons (sorry)

Bon App?tit

• Wine Tasting

• docsurf's Profile Photo

The Dome: For a good close to home style breakfast....

by docsurf Written Nov 28, 2004

If you're up in the morning in the 4th and are looking for something more than coffee and a croissant then look no further than the Dome on St Antoine just across the street from the St Paul Metro station.
    The decor is retro and very comfortable. The staff (we went there twice) was excellent.

Favorite Dish: Everything was good. They offer three different syles of breakfast;

1. French-croissant, coffee/hot chocolate, breakfast baugette with toast and jam

2. Anglaise-same as above but with with 3 eggs and bacon (kind of a canadian ham)

3 Americain-includes and order of sausage as well

All of them were quite good and the price was more than reasonable.

• Museum Visits

• SCondrey's Profile Photo

Cafe' Le Dome: Cafe' Le Dome

by SCondrey Written Aug 26, 2002

Sidewalk cafe and the waiter made us feel comfortable. Pollux the dog was roaming around the kitchen.

Favorite Dish: Crepes with ice cream

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Le Dome
4.0 out of 5 stars