Le Petit Prince de Paris, Paris

Nick's chocolate mousse
    My warm apple pie
    Beautiful red front
  • rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Le Petit Prince de Paris: Lovely place, great food!

by rexvaughan Updated Feb 6, 2010

Beautiful red front

Thanks to fellow VTer daveq we found the wonderful, reasonably priced and pretty much local Le Petit Prince du Paris. It is tucked away in a short, narrow alley-like street next to the Sorbonne, has a beautiful bright red front and a stairway that goes nowhere bedecked with a statue that looks like it belongs on the front of a ship. A quirky but lovely and very busy place where you will hear mostly French. The ambience is quite inviting and the service friendly and efficient and the food marvelous. The tables are closely placed which means that, if you so desire, you can engage in friendly conversation with strangers. My kids struck up a conversation with a Danish couple at the next table. In my opinion these little momentary exchanges enhance the experience and value of travel.

Favorite Dish: My appetizer was for me an unusual but very tasty tomato pie. It was a thin round pastry topped with baked tomato and basil sorbet. I found an herb sorbet out of the ordinary but enjoyed its mildly sweet taste and cold texture enhanced the tomato and pastry. I was surprised after I ordered lamb stew to hear my granddaughter who is 15 order it as well. Mine was well enjoyed and she raved about hers. For dessert I had a warm apple pie (see the photo). I know it was freshly made as you have to order it with your entree to give them time to prepare it. My 12 year old grandson was yearning chocolate mousse and luckily found it here as we did not find it anywhere else. He of course loved it. My French friend back in Decatur who owns our favorite (French) cafe said that she thought some of the new laws there prohibit the use of raw eggs in restaurant food. As you are painfully aware the sinking dollar has made Paris expensive but dinner for 10 of us here including 3 or 4 bottles of wine and desserts all around totalled only 354 Euros. These days this is a real bargain in Paris

• davequ's Profile Photo

Le Petit Prince de Paris: Ambience, traditional on a sidestreet

by davequ Updated Mar 8, 2009

One early evening I was walking & taking pictures near / north of the Pantheon in the Latin Quarter down a little street named rue de l'Ecole Polytechnique when the street got a little narrower & darker with a very pretty red-coloured light on the street near end of the block.

Talk about atmosphere. This place looked so warm & traditional inside, and the menu looked good so in I went.

Small tables placed close together that bother some people are my favorite as

a) they are usually available immediately; and
    b) you can eavesdrop or if you are lucky converse with the people next to you.

Le Petit Prince interior was just eccentric enough to keep me occupied (check the "stairway to nowhere" that serves as the coatroom) as the menu and pace are traditional french.

Food and service were good, and I had just barely enough french to enjoy spying on and then eventually chat briefly with the 2 ladies next to me who appeared to be enjoying a "ladies-night-out" but were gracious enough to share their time with a nosy american tourist.

Their food looked yummy also.

All in all petite prince was good & I'm glad I bumped into it.

This was no hidden find btw, lots of people including my alltime Paris hero ExGuy have eaten here.
    ( I hope one of your favorite colours is rouge ) ...

Favorite Dish: A kir blanc cassis with an hors d'oeuvre of poulet farci Boudin noir (delicious blood sausage and stuffed chicken) served on a very hot plate;
    a yummy comfort-food Saute d'agneau (lamb stew) & couscous;
    washed down with a glass of good house red. About 24 Euros total.

• Wine Tasting

• Le Petit Prince de Paris: The Best Food Found In Paris

by Josara Written Jan 24, 2009

After reading a tip about Le Petit Prince we decided to give it a try when we were in Paris January 2009. We loved it so much we went back the next day for a different and again fabulous dinner. Not only is the staff very helpful and friendly, the food is excellent. It is definitely made with care and love. Choice of spices with eloquence and in perfect taste. Alltogether we will go again when in Paris and will tell all our friends to go there when in Paris.
    It is open every day from 19.30 until midnight. It is gay-friendly but just as friendly to hetero couples.

• Gay and Lesbian

• Le Petit Prince De Paris: "Petit"in its name, "Grand" in its fame and taste!

by raz1980 Written May 23, 2008

I have visited this precious restaurant twice. Once 2 years ago when i was in Paris for vacation and a french friend took me there. I was just amazed. A few days ago I took my mother to this place and she had a delightful experience. She was really excited. And I was too, as I realized that Le Petit Prince had become even more Grand in everything: the food, the people, the hosts, the ambiance.

All the staff was so friendly and willing to serve us even though it was a very busy Saturday evening. What i particularly like about this place is that it's very very cosy, warm, elegant and non-touristic.

The dishes are very well attended both in terms of flavor and appearance. The prices are very reasonable. You can eat a great dish and a dessert with 31€. And if i remember correctly, there are cheaper set menus too.

All in all this is a great place to have a superb meal in a very nice Parisian district.

Favorite Dish: I had the duck with lychees which was a very creative combination. Also the chocolate soufle/tarte like with cherries is a wonder for desert.

• bdwoot's Profile Photo

Le Petit Prince de Paris: The Gay restaurant you would take your grandma to.

by bdwoot Written Jan 19, 2005

It is right behind the Sorbonne down an ancient alleyway. Very pleasant atmosphere and incredibly hunky waiters (speaking as a hetero male). They all wore tight white t-shirts, tight jeans with a cute little red bandana from the hip pocket. I thought my wife was going to trip over her tongue there.

• Le Petit Prince de Paris: Good food!

by stewwhite Written Jul 23, 2004

In a little alley around the corner from the Sully Saint German hotel. Local, and not much english spoken, but the food is exceptional. Have eaten there many times during several trips to Paris. Also, within a block or two of the Sorbonnne.

Favorite Dish: Any seafood, but the beef is always great too!

• oneonta_ni's Profile Photo

Le Petit Prince de Paris: Our favourite so far...

by oneonta_ni Updated Sep 3, 2002

Me, buying crepes with Nutella...mmmm:o)

The location is nice and convenient if you are staying in the 5th Arr., it's down a narrow street in one of the older parts of Paris.

The atmosphere is cosy but not crowded. It looks like a small place at first but it opens out at the back. It has high beamed ceilings and nice indirect lighting. Big mirrors add to the ambience.

The set menu is either 89 francs or 129 francs for 3 courses. I would recommend the more expensive one as the selection is better. Wine is a little expensive - around 85 or 90 to start.

Favorite Dish: I really enjoyed my lamb with goat's cheese. My husband had a delicious escargot starter that had a nice onion sauce with it. He also had a delicious selection of sorbets in vodka.

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Le Petit Prince de Paris
4.0 out of 5 stars