Le Procope, Paris

Le Procope - Late Morning Sun
  • BeatChick's Profile Photo

Le Procope: Oldest Café in Paris

by BeatChick Written Jan 5, 2008

If you want to find the oldest café in Paris, then look no further than Le Procope. This café/restaurant was the first to serve coffee in Paris!

Currently part of the Les Frères Blanc group, this restaurant originally opened in 1686 as a café and was a favorite of such Revolutionary luminaries as Danton, Marat and Robespierre, Age of Enlightenment writer & philosopher Voltaire (who reportedly drank 40 cups of coffee mixed with chocolate per day - café mocha, anyone?), Enlightenment philosopher, music theorist & composer Rousseau, US dignitaries Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and John Paul Jones, poets Verlaine and Rimbaud, as well as Romantic writer George Sand!

The name is gleaned from that of Sicilian Francesco Procopio dei Coltelli who may or may not have adopted the Procopio from the historian Procopius.

I popped into Le Procope this past November and was able to enter through the door on Cour du Commerce St-André. It wasn't quite opened yet so I was the only patron inside. They saw me peeking around and indicated that the place wasn't quite open for lunch and that it was indeed perfectly okay to enter via the cour. Intending to come back for lunch, I was sidetracked and never did make it back! But I intend to next trip.

Photos: February 2006 & November 2007

Favorite Dish: This restaurant specializes in foods such as seafood and oeufs durs mayonnaise as well as various salads, foie gras, terrines and so forth.

Le Procope - Cour du Commerce St-Andr�� Le Procope - Cour du Commerce St-Andr�� Le Procope - Late Morning Sun

• Le Fermette Marbeuf 1900: Don't eat from the set menu

by COOK2025 Written Dec 7, 2007

The rstaurant is very pleasant inside however this was the only highlight of our visit. We ate from the 32 euro menu. I had a of starter of sea food which was ok. For my main course I ordered duck with fresh vegetables. On arrival the duck was as tough as it could have been the vegetable were what you would expect from a school dinner. My wife ordered stake tatar which was placed in the middle of her plate with a few fries and salad dumped around the outside no presentation at all. The wine was opened at the table but not poured or offered for tasting during the meal we had to pour our own wine. The service was second class. The over riding impression I came away with was that we had ordered from the set menu and everything was to much trouble.

• Luxury Travel

• Le Procope: Don't go there, trust me!

by MichelleK19 Written Sep 11, 2014

Anyone who sees this message - DON'T go there.
    I did a terrible mistake by going there!
    First of: the prices are high for CRAPPY food. srsly - some of the food was ok, but the lobster for example was disgusting!
    But forget about the food & prices - they tried STEALING from us!
    me and my mom ate there for 143 euro, and yet when we saw the check - something was weird! An 19 euro dish was added - a dish we DIDN'T order. I asked the PERFECTLY speaking English waiter what is that - and he looked at the check, and calmly said "it's the cocktail toy ordered".
    Me & my mom almost left the place when she went back and asked for the menu. "I wanna see it" she said.
    The cocktail cost 8 euro!!! Not 19!
    Doesn't a waiter know the price of a cocktail?
    Any how - the waiter got out his own WALLET from his pocket - and gave us back the money. That means he took those extra 11 euro to himself.
    Shame on this restaurant!!! Shame on all it's workers that saw what he did and do nothing! Just smiled at us! And guess what? the manager is totally fine with it! He doesn't do anything about it!

So be careful, and stay away!

• thinking's Profile Photo

Le Procope: 1st place in Paris to serve coffee and sherbet

by thinking Updated Apr 4, 2011

The amience and setting are what you would expect to see in Paris.
    This is a wonderful place to enjoy a cup of coffee!

Favorite Dish: Coffe and sherbet

Entrance Inside the restaurant private dinning as well for parties
    • Business Travel

Instant Answers: Paris

• Feb 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We came upon the restaurant by accident on a cold Feburary day. We were walking in St. Germain and it was late afternoon. We were tired and hungry. We were worried we weren't dressed appropriately for dinner, but were assured we were fine. We were offierd a pre fixe dinner and what followed was extraordinary. We had white wine and red, two waiters who treated us like royalty, and the food was splendid. We had oysters, pressed vegetables, fish and dessert. A charming gentleman from Vienna sat next to us devouring oysters as if it were his last meal. We learned the history of the restaurant and left in awe at what serendipity led us to the place. It is Paris as it was, as it is, and as it always will be.

Hotels Near Le Procope