Le Train Bleu, Paris

4 out of 5 stars 10 Reviews

Gare de Lyon, 75012 +33 1 43 43 09 06

• Le Train Bleu
    by maartenw
    le train bleu inside gare de lyon
    by gwened
    Le train bleu daytime
    by gwened
  • mariev's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu: Nope, that's not the TGV

by mariev Updated Apr 15, 2006

Inaugurated in april 1901, le Train Bleu (called after the Paris-Vintimille train), has been classified as an historical monument in 1972 : the ceiling is indeed spectacular : the 41 frescos retrace the journey made by the trains of the PLM railway network at the beginning of the 20th century - Many people in the wold have catched a glimpse of it (in a scene in Luc Besson's film "Nikita").

You come to the Train Bleu to see the deco, to talk, to meet people (i had my first VT meeting there, Thanks Beatchick) and even to eat.
    It's a place where the time is somewhat slower (like the service) - a bit of the past in a TGV (bullet train station).

The food (traditional, slighly south-west french cooking) is perfectly decent (no double somersault of joy but no disapointment - maybe a bit too expensive for what is in the- well presented - plate) is a bit secondary.

PS : The restaurant is obviously geared toward tourists (no wonder in a railway station) and is aware of USAmerican tourists' idiosyncracies : i had to ask for a french menu : the one i got first was in english (with german and spanish subtitles) and it was the first time in my life were i got butter on the table beside the bread ( served on a plate with a knife) in a french restaurant.

Restaurant : Open everyday of the year 11:30am-3pm & 7-11pm

Bar (le Big-Ben : a tribute to the British people who, on their way to the french riviera at the beginning of the 20th century used to have some alcoholic 'refuel') open Monday-Friday 7:30am-11pm

Favorite Dish: What i tried :
    Saucisson chaud pistach?, Cabillaud plancha and baba au rhum (huge) : not extraordinary but good (and since the company was great....)
    All in all an enjoyable,unhurried, moment.

Ceiling details - le Train Bleu Inaugural blason over the door In the dining room
    • Trains

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu, Gare de Lyon: Capture the Spirit of the Age

by CatherineReichardt Updated Mar 31, 2012

Oh my word, this is the last word in Belle Epoque elegance, so regardless of whether you're looking to splash out on a really over-the-top gourmet meal amid sumptuous surroundings, or merely seeking a refuge for a restorative beverage before/after a long rail trip, this is the place to be!

Le Train Bleu at at Gare de Lyon is a no-holds-barred shrine to Art Nouveau architecture, which you will either love or hate, but are very unlikely to be ambivalent about - 'restraint' was not the hallmark of the era! The artwork is a technicolour onslaught to the senses, and although I find the lavish guilding and other overblown furnishings to be less to my taste, as long as I can admire the walls and ceiling, I'm deliriously happy!

As you might expect, this is not a budget place to eat or drink. However, in addition to the a la carte menu, the restaurant offers set menus which, though pricey, are not outlandishly expensive by Parisian standards. I didn't eat there, but I treated myself to a beer, which, at €6 (which is about the going rate for a beer in a tourist location in Paris) also came with a handful of peanuts, five rather tasty green olives and a few scrumptious pieces of pickled garlic. All that in this stunning setting - bargain!!!

Le Train Bleu, Gare de Lyon

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu: VT Meet at Le Train Bleu!

by BeatChick Updated Jan 12, 2008

Because I was doing research on a book involving film settings in Paris and because various people wanted to meet up with me from VT & Fodor's, I opted to have our VT meeting/GTG at Le Train Bleu for 12 people at the "Nikita" tables. Gorgeous setting of gilded ceiling with murals depicting scenes where le Train Bleu once made its run.

I asked one of the servers if we were sitting at the same tables as in the assassination scene in Nikita & he confirmed. BTW, I didn't realize that Milla Jovovich was married to Nikita's director, Luc Besson. Found that out from the bartender at L'Hôtel; but they're now divorced.

It was fascinating & fantastic to meet shrimp56, tsarina, Mariev, Pixfield & mittnic from VT along with Nikki & Michael Osman from Fodor's as well as a couple that strolled in looking for a table. We'd had a few people drop out so we just invited this couple along.

Michael Osman & his partner, Scott, are everything you've read about and more! Both are charming, sweet, funny, patient; I can see exactly why they are great with kids and families. Let me just say that Michael Osman is worth at least twice as much as he charges. But Michael is kind and charges the paltry amount that he does because he wants to ensure that he can help the families, which is really, really nice. He is humble, too! When Nikki remarked that it was wonderful meeting the famous Michael Osman, that she'd read so many great things about him, he quipped "and they're not all written by my mother". He's just too funny.

It was great meeting everyone else, too. The evening turned out to be a 5 hour event with all of us swapping stories & quips across the table. Just an amazing night overall!

Michael & I were supposed to tromp around Montmartre late at night my last night but because we got out of Le Train Bleu well past midnight that proved an impossibility.

Favorite Dish: Despite being told that the food is generally mediocre I found it to be one of the best dining experiences this trip. 10 of the 12 of us settled on the 44€ menu rejane (details can be found on the website).

I loved my entrée of saucisson chaud, which is a Lyonnaise sausage with potatoes and pistachios. It was fantastic.

For the main dish I tried the wonderful roast salmon dish which came with an orange chicory sauce. The menu description said there were cocoa chips in the dish, which made me waffle on my decision, but I neither saw nor tasted the cocoa chips so it was a very subtle flavoring. It was faboo!

Pixfield gave me a taste of his veal blanquette and it was equally fantastic; in essence, you couldn't go wrong with any of the dishes from the menu rejane.

Dessert was "dessert of the day", Gateau au Chocolat that had the texture of warm chocolate mousse with a scoop of ice cream floating on top. Michael joked that it was an inverted ice cream sundae, and he was right!

Photos: February 2006

Pixfied, Tsarina, mittnic, mariev Saucisson Chaud de Lyon Pistache Pave de Saumon R��ti Gateau au Chocolat Entrance to Le Train Bleu

• maartenw's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu: Gilt-edged splendor

by maartenw Updated Dec 10, 2006

The main attraction of Le Train Blue is of course its abundant ornamental decoration. Once you have entered the place you are overwhelmed by the Belle-Epoque chandeliers, brass, frescos and sculptured angels. The interior originates from 1901 and the wall and ceiling paintings depict railroad scenes from that era. The aim of the design was to impress travellers which it did and still does quite successfully.

Favorite Dish: We very wisely made a reservation a week in advance to have lunch here. For starters I had the 'vanilla-flavoured velvet crab and celeriac purée with almond milk'. My main dish was plaice with mushrooms and salsifies (served too cold unfortunately. Must be due to the huge distances between the kitchen and the tables). The dessert was the best part: 'plateau des fromages'. I know that doesn't sound too appealing, but forget the traditional image when you can have a choice of 5 or 6. Our waiter, very wisely, decided not to ask which ones on the enormous tray we would like, but simply provided a portion of ALL. We ended up with a 'selection' of 17 delicious French cheeses! We had a Chateau Labadie (Medoc) and a Petit Chablis to have this delicious lunch washed down elegantly.

Entrance of Le Train Blue, view from the station

• thom123's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu: You are here for the ambiance, the food comes 2nd

by thom123 Updated Dec 30, 2007

Everything they say about the decor is true. The food is fine, just not Three Star cooking. I had the veal chop and it was perhaps a little tough, but still delicious. My wife's lamb was excellent. The waiter was a true pro--there when you needed him and able to reply in English or in French depending on who asked the questions. The murals and gilded walls truly make this a historic monument and well as a culinary destination. Be ready to pay a hefty price. Call ahead for reservations. Also, according to a sign I saw, it is smoke-free as of January 1, 2007.

Favorite Dish: Desserts: the vacherin and the gateau au chocolat

• Trains

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu

by tini58de Updated Apr 4, 2011

Le Train Bleu is a restaurant inside the Gare de Lyon. It started its business in 1901 and the interior is truly breathtaking! There are painting showing the destinations that can be reached by train from the Gare de Lyon, lots of gold, sculptures - absolutely fantastic!

We found out about Le Train Bleu thanks to a VT meeting and went there for a drink and a short hello. It was wonderful to experience the atmosphere plus talk to travelers from the US, France, Sweden and Germany, so this was a lot of fun!

Plus we will always remember this place as the place with the most expensive beer that we ever had: 0.5 l for 9 €!!! But it was worth it!

Le Train Bleu VT meeting in the Train Bleu

• Le Train Blue: The most disapointing experience having dinner

by Synchroon Written Jan 19, 2010

The enviroment is beautifull and at the same time impressive.

That's the only positive remark I could give to this restaurant.
    The other qualifications are far more negative:
    - low quality food
    - lukewarmly served
    - no time left between the different dishes
    - extremely non polite waiters

Absurd high prices are asked for this non dinner.

• Simoncusonnet's Profile Photo

Le train Bleu: Just amazing place !

by Simoncusonnet Written Nov 14, 2012

If you go on their site, you'll see the incredible surroundings of this restaurant. It's historical monument from 1972, built in 1900, and has 41 paintings on the ceiling and walls. Service is efficient, fast, friendly, food is very good, and the price is according to the place where you are, expensive, but not overpriced. Fodd quality is very good, as well as the quantity. (Important for me).

Favorite Dish: I had a beef "steak tartare" that was prepared in front of me, was delicious. My wife had lamb, that was cut right in front of us. And as an entrée, foie gras with salad and magret de canard.

• Architecture

• gwened's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu: historical and on train station

by gwened Updated Jul 20, 2014

This is a historical resto, right inside gare de Lyon in Paris. Very popular with visitors too. I try it because had to travel thru to Switzerland a lot, so when in. A bit touristic and overpriced. The food is good,and it has great decoration,and good views over the platforms.

Its not intimately good for me, but posted, train station or airport food normally is not good, this one is a bit above but again overprice and I think over advertise.
    update the restaurant is in renovation until September 2014, check link for updates.

Favorite Dish: i went to the Big Ben bar,had coffees, and salads, the rest is overprice.

Le train bleu daytime le train bleu inside gare de lyon

• symbiont's Profile Photo

Le Train Bleu: Unique Parisian restaurant experience

by symbiont Written Apr 10, 2006

This is without a doubt the finest restaurant I have ever been in. Located above the Gare De Lyon train station it has a vibe that is all about travel, elegance and fine food.

Dining room

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Le Train Bleu
4.0 out of 5 stars