McDonald's, Paris

Many, many places

Sure doesn't look like this at home
    Nice tomate
    by goodfish
    Get your fast food even faster
  • BeatChick's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Yes, I Did Eat at McDonald's!

by BeatChick Updated Dec 2, 2007

McDonald's at Metro Cadet in the 9th

You'll find McDonald's locations in Paris by either going to their website (time-consuming) or looking up McDonald's on les Pages Jaunes. Note: search under "Mc Donald's" or "Mac Donald's".

Besides having something quick & familiar to eat, it's also cool to see the juxtaposition of American culture inside Paris & to note how the French do it differently (i.e. frites sauce instead of ketchup, healthier dessert options). Definitely a cultural experience.

It's perfectly okay to fall back on the familiar as long as you are willing to try the unfamiliar, so try out some different French foods! Some Americans like going to McDonald's for the breakfast coffee, some cannot function without their typical American cup, and that's fine. I've never tried the coffee there so I cannot make comparisons and I must admit to a love for good, hot, strong French coffee. One of the benefits, though, to getting coffee from here is getting it to go, something rare in a French cafe. Of course, the other alternative is to get a cuppa to go from Starbuck's (but that's another debate for another time, my darlings)!

Two of the best benefits is:
    a) the use of easy-to-find bathrooms! My motto is to always use the bathroom in Paris whenever you get the opportunity. When I last visited (Nov '07) these were free, at least in Belleville.
    b) free wi-fi

If you're an American you'll note the food is more expensive overseas but that's what you'd expect from a transplant of culture (yes, I'm not sure that that phrase connotes a "good" or "fair" exhange). And the fries are definitely better, much crispier, probably due to their use of animal fats (please note this, vegetarians).

Oh, and while we Americans refer to it as McD's or Mickey D's the French refer to it as McDo's! I love how the French put their spin on pop culture they've adopted/adapted.

Favorite Dish: Frites with frites sauce (aioli - a garlic mayo - had to bring LOTS back for friends)
    Orangina - an orange soda with real orange & tangerine pulp - best shaken up! (definitely different yet better than the orange soda here in the states although you can buy Orangina in the US at places like Trader Joe's)

Trip before last I had a hankering for a chicken sandwich & it was faboo! This past November I had one of the "Best of" meals, a Filet-o-Fish with frites and 33 cl of Evian for 5.60€ ($8.18, at least twice what I'd pay in the States). I also stopped by the McDo's at CDG for breakfast: bacon McMuffin, yogurt, coffee and juice for 5€ ($7.30 about twice what I'd pay for that at home).

Photos: Feb 2006 & April 2003

• Study Abroad

• ForestqueenNYC's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Burgers and Wi-Fi

by ForestqueenNYC Updated Apr 22, 2011

MacDonalds aka Chez MacDo

You wouldn't catch me in a Mac's in the U.S., but I have to admit to going to the one in my neighborhood in the 14th Arrondisement every now and then. Truthfully, I usually go to use les toilettes because I can do so without a hassle although you do need a code. Just ask the cashier and she will give it to you.

There is also a TV in the back for the kiddies where they play current movies such as Ratatouille and one up front for the news.

It should be noted that Chez MacDo is always packed with French people not Americans. And when the daughter of my French landlady went to NY with her husband, it was MacDo's that she looked for for lunch. Of course nobody on the street could tell her where MacDo's was until she finally realized that they don't call it that in the U.S.

With the availability of free WiFi connection there, you can sit undisturbed for hours with your laptop. So there are a lot of students. It's also a place where people go and sit and pay there bills, read, meet their group of seniors. And just as in my neighborhood in NYC, there are lots of lonely old people there just trying not to feel so alone and possibly because they don't have the money to eat anyplace else.

A word to the wise. The bathroom is never clean and although there are three stalls it is unisex. But when you are desperate, you can sometimes overlook that. Fortunately there are no urinals.

So say what you like about the food, the place does have its useful purpose.

Favorite Dish: Sprite

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• joiwatani's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Eat the real "French" fries

by joiwatani Written Mar 7, 2009

The McDonald's at Champs Elysees

The McDonald's chain is well know for children in the United States. There are slides and trampolines filled with balls, etc. where children can go and play while the parents are eating their food like cheese burger, french fries coupled with their large coke!

Well, that's not the case in Paris. The McDonald's restaurant in Paris is small as it is in the most expensive part of the city Champs Elysees. However, you can still get the food that you want: cheeseburger, french fries and Coke. However, since you are in France, you are now eating the real French fries!

Note: Why would you go to McDonald's when there are so many nice restaurants in Paris?

Favorite Dish: I am sorry. I didn't really go and eat here. I was trying some French restaurants!

• goodfish's Profile Photo

McCafé: Café for Early Risers

by goodfish Updated Apr 6, 2013

Sure doesn't look like this at home

Hold the tomates, folks - I have a good explanation for this!!!

We had gone to bed early our first night in Paris as we'd been up for 34 hours straight. Our internal alarms went off at 3:30 AM and rather than mucking about in our room until daylight, we went off in search of coffee.

Parisians are not early risers.

After rambling around in dark for some time, we stumbled on this McCafé on Rue de Rivoli somewhere and joined the line of other desperate earlybirds waiting for that first cuppa joe. Once inside? McMagnifique! This is not the McDonald's you know and loathe: it is sleek; it is spotless; there is no annoying clown in sight. No, this is fast food à la Paris and closer to a pâtisserie than burger joint. American McD's are starting to copy these models so your neighborhood joint will hopefully be très chic someday soon.

This particular Mickey D's was split into two sections: McCafé for coffee and pastries in the front, and a separate McDonald's for Big Macs and whatnot tucked away in the back. It also had a second story with lots of cleverly designed seating areas and clean (free!) restrooms - although I won't swear they'll be as pristine in every location. It even had a bank of machines for ordering your McLunch and prepaying with McCredit - eliminating standing about in line. And macarons? At McD's? Extraordinaire!

OK, so I think I'd pass on the McMacarons but our pastries and coffee were dandy and just what we needed before heading off to the Louvre. This one opened around 6:00-6:30 AM and they had free wi-fi too. Need to log on? Here's a list of McDonald's in Paris:

One more thing? You can get coffee to go; not always an easy thing to find in Paris!

• vanmartyr's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Some Things You Can Count On

by vanmartyr Written Apr 28, 2006

When I started traveling, I swore that I would never set foot into an American Restaurant or fast food chain. To me, it was the quintiscentual jingo-istic thing to do while traveling. But after two hours trudging through Paris in 95 degree heat (and by then it definitely seemed like trudging), all I wanted was the biggest Coke with ice in it that I could find - and at a fair price. And where was the ONLY place to find that one item of divine remedy? Mickey D's.

Everywhere else I searched for portable and affordable refreshment, I was met with extremely small and room temperature offerings at exhorbitant prices.

My advice before planning a trip to Paris. Take with you a portable water bottle to carry with you as you see the sights and locate the addresses of all the McDonald's (and Starbucks, for that matter) in the city to have ready, just in case. You can find those locations on their respective websites or by going to the French Yellow Pages at www.pagesjaunes.com.

And oh, yes. They offer free and clean bathrooms with easy access in most cases.

Favorite Dish: 32 oz. Coke brimming with ice

• Women's Travel

• Albernfrau's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Just like Pulp Fiction - Royale with Cheese

by Albernfrau Updated Aug 15, 2006

What can I say it is McDonald's. It was just what you expect except the names of things are different. I loved ording a Royale with Cheese better known to us as a Quarter Pounder with Cheese.

Always a great place to use the washroom.

• McDonald's: Great Value for the Backpacker

by birdmanimal Written Jan 1, 2007

While I rarely eat fast food in my native USA, McDonald's has been a staple for me in my last 20 or so years of budget minded backpacking. The Paris locations rock, and I recommend the Mickie D's one finds in Edinburgh as well.

• Lannna's Profile Photo

McDonald's: The only (warm) food in Paris on Christmas!

by Lannna Written May 26, 2004

As fas as that was the only restaurant opened in the last week of the year we had to find in it all typical french stuff. But we didn''t. So, folk, if you go there - book some hotel where they have restaurant that doesn''t send their cook on vacations. In fact all "food" places are open, just they don;t serve food. Drinks, peanuts. that''s all.
    So, take care of yourself.
    Well, you still can find baked chestnuts on the streets and hot-dogs. That' was very-very-very tasty! (...or were we so hungry? ;-+)

Favorite Dish: Some french sort-of-donut. As far as I badly wanted to try french quisine. :) What I''ve got a chance to try - I liked! ;)

• It has to be McDonalds am...

by lovelylass Written Aug 24, 2002

It has to be McDonalds am sorry but anywhere else was expensive for me i mean i was only a poor student. Mind you the McDonalds i had was a big burnt.
    In France you can have a beer in McDonalds how cool would that be

Favorite Dish: Quarter pounder with cheese mmmm its lovely

• Mc Donalds: Red Light district Mc Donalds

by sabsi Updated Jul 11, 2003

I never recommended a McDonalds here - and I promise I will never do it again - but have a look at the Red Light District McDonalds of Paris. It's dark inside with red lights - a very funny idea I think!!!

Favorite Dish: Strawberry Milkshakes and a 'Royal' ;-)

• alyf1961's Profile Photo

MCDONALDS: DELICIOUS FRAPPE

by alyf1961 Written May 11, 2012

There are many McDonalds in Paris. The milkshakes are very different from the U.K.
    I had a Framboise Frappe and it was delicious with raspberry sauce in the bottom and raspberry milkshake poured over the top.

Favorite Dish: Framboise Frappe.

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Unique McDonald's Menu Items

by CruisingGoddess Written Dec 5, 2012

I know it may seem silly for an American to visit McDonald's while traveling in a foreign country, especially a foodie city like Paris, but a girl can only eat at so many Michelin-starred restaurants in one trip. Also, every McDonald's I've ever been to outside of the U.S. always has unique menu items that we don't find in America! It's also fun to see what a small, medium, and large are in other countries compared to America. (America's sizes are ALWAYS bigger!)

In Paris, we discovered the Royal Bacon burger and Royal-O-Fish. From what I could tell, a Royal-O-Fish is a Filet-O-Fish with lettuce and tomato. Royal Bacon was a cheeseburger with bacon. Delicious and a great break if you are sick of foie gras and black truffles like we were. LOL

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

McDonalds: a good value for breakfast

by GentleSpirit Written Sep 28, 2013

Think of it, your hotel is usually going to charge you like 10 euro for breakfast. if you want to go and have a cup of coffee that will cost you at least 3 euro (cafe au lair)

McDonalds has an offer for 5 euro you get choice of hot drink (coffee,tea) choice of breakfast sandwich or bread and juice or fruit. not a bad deal

• jeoren's Profile Photo

McDonald's: Mc Flurry d'aim; too delicious

by jeoren Written Jul 28, 2005

Mc Donalds food Mc flurry

When in Paris, you should buy the Mc Flurry d'aim; the most delicious ice-cream ever.
    This taste is only sold in a few countrys in the world, under which France/Paris.

• stonefree's Profile Photo

M: Don't panic!!!

by stonefree Updated Aug 29, 2002

One of my wife's passion when she goes abroad, she likes comparing and trying the menu of McD there. But in Paris, nothing unique was served.

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near McDonald's
3.5 out of 5 stars