Polidor, Paris

3.5 out of 5 stars 4 Reviews

41 Rue Monsieur le Prince, 75006 +33 1 43 26 95 34

• Le Polidor: To be avoided. No service quality at all

by thechubbyparis Updated Oct 16, 2013

TO BE AVOIDED. NO SERVICE AT ALL.

First of all, when we had just sat down for 10 secs, the waitress (probably the owner) cried at my friend " no bags on the passage!" - we certainly received a very warm welcome, not.

Then we found that they didn't take credit card so my friend had to go take some cash. During the 5-minute wait, the waitress (same person) chased me up 3 times to order and literally shouted " can you hurry up? I have a lot of people tonight!" ( If I was alone, I would have ordered but I had to wait for my friend to come back as anyone would have done so as a matter of courtesy.)

Anyway, she killed my appetite. We left right away.

I understand that it was a Saturday night but even though Woody Allen shot his movie there and famous people used to frequent this place, you don't talk to people in that manner.

Save your money for a service you deserve!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Crémerie Polidor: Traditional food well-served *6e

by shrimp56 Updated Mar 4, 2013

Although the name of the restaurant comes from serving ice cream in the early years of the 1900s, the restaurant itself dates to 1845. It is popular with artists and writers as well as students. The "Polidor" comes from the Greek -- the word meaning "having rich gifts" or "well-endowed." No credit cards are accepted. It is open daily for both lunch and dinner.

On a recent visit I had two starters, a squash soup and smoked salmon. The soup was quite bland, but the salmon hit the spot.

Favorite Dish: Hard to choose. It's French comfort food and the boeuf bourguignon, confit de canard, or blanquette de veau are tasty & reliable, if not exciting, choices.

Cr��merie Polidor Cr��merie Polidor Cr��merie Polidor Cr��merie Polidor
    • Study Abroad

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Polidor: Crèmerie Polidor

by BeatChick Updated Apr 4, 2011

Here's another restaurant I've been dying to try for years! It's a real budget find with plats du jour running between 11-14€. Of course, the plats du jour have only 1 choice per day:
    Monday - Boudin 11€ (Blood Sausage)
    Tuesday - Hachis Parmentier 11€ (Shepherd's Pie)
    Wednesday - Petit Salé aux Lentilles 12€
    Thursday - Boeuf Mironton 12€
    Friday - Hachis Parmentier 11€
    Saturday - Langue de Boeuf piquante (Beef Tongue)
    Sunday - Souris d'Agneau confite

If you find having only one choice stifling, they also have set menus at 22€ & 32€.

Reportedly, this was André Gide's (famous French writer) favorite restaurant, it also boasts such clientele as Kerouac, James Joyce, Hemingway, Paul Valery & Antonin Artaud. Of course, being a Beatchick I'm very much interested in this restaurant's association with Jack Kerouac!

Be warned, this restaurant holds one of those famous historic Turkish squat toilettes - hope your thigh muscles are strong!!

This past trip (Nov '07) I'd made plans to join up with some friends for dinner here. Alas, the transit strike prevented our meeting.

Favorite Dish: I'm dying to try the Hachis Parmentier and the Boeuf Mironton. My dear, departed friend, Sandye, loved this place and said they're supposed to have THE BEST Tarte Tatin in Paris; she was forever regaling me with her memories of the Crème de Potiron (pumpkin soup). Mmmm.

Photos: February 2006 & Christmas 2002 (credit: Sandye Utley)

Cr��merie Polidor Sandye - Restaurant Polidor XMAS '02

• mpileggi's Profile Photo

Polidor: A Paris Institution

by mpileggi Written Sep 19, 2007

Arrive early to this Paris institution, as this place fills up quite fast for lunch. The main room seats about 80 people. This was my third visit to Polidor and although the food was good, their prices have gone up quite a bit and it's not longer the bargain it used to be. Still, it's a great dining experience.

Favorite Dish: I had their house terrine, which was quite delicious (4.50€) followed by chicken in a cream sauce and white rice (13€).

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Polidor
4.5 out of 5 stars