Sergent Recruteur, Paris

• smschley's Profile Photo

Sergent Recruteur: Bring a hearty appetite

by smschley Written Jan 12, 2005

in pig heaven

La Taverne du Sergent Recruteur offers an interesting evening meal experience in the heart of Paris at cost that won't break the bank -- about 30 Euros for what is a brief, fixed price menu. You won't go away hungry. The name of the establishment come from the fact that in its past, young men would be taken to the taverne for a drinking fest and perhaps some female company and then awaken from their drunken stupor to find themselves signed up for the French Foreign Legion.

Allow plenty of time for you will have plenty of raw vegetables and bread delivered to your table in large baskets. When it is time, your server will also take your order for your choice of grilled meat: a large leg of lamb steak, kabobs of beef, salmon or perhaps another special of the day. Along with your raw veggies and bread, there are a number of buffets featuring a wide variety of sausages, terrine de campagne and other pre-dinner salad-type offerings. After the main course, the traditional cheese board will be brought to your table and there is a choice of desserts that includes chocolate mousse, creme caramel, ice cream-sorbet or fruit. For drinks you have a choice of the normal soft drinks , wine or beer that will keep coming as long as you can put it down.

The restaurant itself is a rustic affair with plenty of exposed stone and timbers; narrow and deeper than you might expect when you see the narrow street frontage that it occupies. It is open seven nights a week from 7 p.m. until 2 a.m. with the exception of Sundays, when La Taverne du Sergent Recruteur opens at noon and it is open continuously until 2 a.m.

• GUYON's Profile Photo

Sergent Recruteur: A all you can eat restaurant

by GUYON Updated Jun 12, 2005

Le Sergent Recruteur

33.50 Euros for the above food .
    The waiters speak English (last time I went there I was surrounded by Americans)

Favorite Dish: Entree (all you can eat) : soup, delicatessen, vegetable
    Meat at your choice
    French Cheese : you can choose all the cheeses of the 'plateau'
    Desserts (all you can eat) : fruits, cakes, 'mousse au chocolat', 'creme caramel'.
    A bottle of wine or a pitcher of beer.

• Sergent Recruteur: Best Dinner

by Jensentravels Written Dec 6, 2007

We had this restaurant recommended to us by a pilot & stewardess that we met near the Eiffel tower

We walked in and were promptly taken back to our table that had to be pulled out from the wall so I could sit on the booth side. We immediately were welcomed by the many other people eating & drinking around us. We had a lot of fun talking with the many other tourists and getting suggestions of places to see & things to do. They immediately brought us our first course of a basket with all the salad makings and a cutting board to dice everything up & a basket of meats to top off our salads. After the salad we had our soup brought over. They don't bring anything over until you are done with each course. They also kept the wine from their vineyard coming throughout the whole meal.

The whole night felt like a celebration & fun. We ordered our main course, chicken for me & lamb for my husband, which was superb. Followed up with a cheese selection then of course desert.

I really enjoyed the camaraderie of the whole place. The owner & sons were there talking with us & all the many people from so many countries there enjoying each others company. This is one place we will definitely go back to on our next trip to Paris.

I do think it was a little expensive but worth it. Close to $100 for 2 since the dollar has dropped against the euro.

Favorite Dish: All the food was superb. The soup was very good, I was suprised, when I first saw the soup I was a little hesitant to try but went ahead & really enjoyed it.

• groovy_23's Profile Photo

La Taverne du Sergeant Recruiter: Good food but still touristy

by groovy_23 Updated Sep 19, 2002

It was a pay one price place. The food was really good! I had fish and my husband had duck. They start you out with a basket of sausage and bread, and all the house wine you can drink. After the main course, you can choose from a myriad of different desserts...included in the price. Coffee is NOT included in the price.

Instant Answers: Paris