Stores, Malls or Markets in Paris

Christmas Window in Paris
    by Parisforless
    Marché aux Puce St. Ouen
    by Parisforless
    Au Printemps au début du printemps.
    by breughel

Most Viewed Shopping in Paris

Galerie Vivienne: shop the galleries of Paris

by gwened Written Sep 9, 2014

One of the thrills of coming to Paris or even living/working is the shopping. The best and most unique around. And one of my fondest memories is shopping or window shopping in a galerie de Paris. There are several; I will talk about the Galerie Vivienne.

wonderful gallery or passage way by rue Vivienne and connects externally to galerie colbert at rue colbert. Opened in 1823 with 176 meters long of hallways of beauty. It has three entrances one main one at rue Vivienne,then rue des Petits-Champs ,and rue de la Banque.

You must walk it to believe it.

What to buy: a drink at the Bistrot Vivianne, artificial plants at Emilio Robba, but most of all, walk and see and breath, its Paris at its best.

What to pay: grand things the best and prices are ok as you get the very best of Paris.

the Galerie Vivienne going in to the hallways at Vivienne the cupola at Vivienne
    • Architecture

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Proxi Markets: Small but useful grocery stores

by Beausoleil Written Aug 10, 2014

Renting an apartment seems to be getting more popular in Paris and elsewhere. When you rent, it's usually for a reason and one of these reasons is to do some of your own meals at home. It's a time and money saver if someone doesn't mind the preparation. We rent for stays of a week or longer and I must admit, I don't go on vacation to cook. I do that nearly every day at home and it's my vacation too. So . . . we compromise. We get yogurt, cereal and fruit for breakfast, eat a good dinner at noon when prices tend to be lower and then stop at a little grocery to get picnic supplies for a picnic in our apartment. It is usually a baguette, cheese(s), fruit and wine. This is minimal preparation and it's fun to try the different cheeses and wines.

You can go to huge supermarkets including Monoprix to get these things, but that takes time. We go to Monoprix for initial supplies for the apartment. After that, we look for small neighborhood groceries or specialty shops for our picnic items. On our last trip there was a small Proxi market a block from us. We walked in and discovered it was a bit larger than it looked from the outside, but still small and personal. They had everything we needed . . . literally. They had all the things we bought at the huge Monoprix down the street and it would have taken half the time at Proxi. They had fresh fruits and vegetables delivered every day and a very nice selection of cheese and wine. As we wandered Paris during the month, we noticed little Proxi markets located in all the neighborhoods. If you are looking for toothpaste, shampoo, cereal, cheese, wine, fruits, veggies, crackers, cookies, even bread, Proxi works very well. You will have a better selection of cheeses at a cheese store and a better selection of wine at a wine store. We did buy our baguette at the nearby boulangerie except on the day it was closed and Proxi worked well for bread on that day.

Highly recommended and ours was very friendly.

What to buy: This is strictly to fill the kitchen cupboard and refrigerator . . .

What to pay: Proxi markets are very reasonable in price.

Go straight down the street one block to Proxi Our Proxi on rue de Beaune Paris flowers (no more grocery photos)

• Inguuna's Profile Photo

Maison Collet: Various pastries and baguettes

by Inguuna Updated Jun 14, 2014

Another shop where I tried different delicious pastries was located in my so called "gourmet street" - on rue Montorgueil. So I tasted five cakes and they all were delicious!!! Dream to think for the next time to try other more.

What to buy: I bought two kind of baguettes, they were really good.

I bought five cakes:
    Foret, Mille Feuille, Religieuse and two other to whom I can't remember names. They all can be seen on my photo.

What to pay: I spent approx. 20 Euros for everything.

Different delicious pastries

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Elvis My Happiness: Everything Elvis!

by adelinemmc Updated May 15, 2014

This is the shop of the main French Elvis Presley fan club. It's 100% Elvis, 100% of the time.

Quite unusual but looks well stocked.

What to buy: Obviously every single item in this shop is Elvis-related: posters, keyrings but also rare LPs or memorabilia. I guess you could spend a lot in here for that special item you've been looking for since 1971!

What to pay: No idea, use your judgment.

The shop Elvis My Happiness One of the shop's windows

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Masion Georges Larnicol: Macarons

by Dabs Written May 1, 2014

Macarons, not to be confused with the coconut cookies called macaroons, are a delightful confection filled with ganache, buttercream or jam filling between two meringue halves. They can be frightfully expensive at places like Laudree, fortunately I've found a less expensive shop to indulge my macaron cravings.

There are multiple locations, I've been to the one in the 5th, just off rue St. Jacques, there are at least three other locations in Paris and many other shops in other cities.

What to buy: Macarons, of course. Although the shop also sells chocolates and other confections, I've just had the macarons. My particular favorite is salted caramel.

What to pay: The macarons were 50€ per kg, they don't weigh much so I got a bag of 6 or 7 for 4€

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Cycle Centre: Real bicycles

by Nemorino Updated Apr 5, 2014

I’ve never actually bought anything here (since I tend to use the Vélib’ bikes when I am in Paris), but I like the looks of the shop so much that I at least wanted to point out that it exists and keep the address for future reference.

For most of the twentieth century, cycling in France meant racing. People would get dressed up in tight-fitting lycra racing clothes, strap their bikes to the backs of their cars (!) and drive out into the countryside somewhere to go cycling.

It wasn’t till the end of the twentieth century that cycling as a serious means of everyday transportation began to find widespread acceptance.

This tiny ‘Cycle Centre’ in the sixth arrondissement, just off the Boulevard Saint-Germain, sells new and used bikes of all makes. But they specialize in Dutch and English bicycles, meanings bikes you can ride in an upright position. These bikes have chainguards, baggage racks, baskets, lights and bells – all the things they need to make them suitable for daily urban transportation. The shop also offers ‘express repairs’.

Address: 30 Rue Grégoire de Tours, 75006 Paris

• Cycling

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Vache & Cow: Moo Moo Moo Moo Moo Moo Moo Moo Moo Moo

by sourbugger Updated Mar 23, 2014

This is a shop that is totally dedicated to cows. Whatever product you can think of, the chances are that this company has been there before you.

A plate, a mug, or pencil is fair enough, but how coes a cow dressing cow grab you at 80 euro ? or a full cow suit with rubber udders ? My Mother-in-law bought one whilst I was there. The temptation to work that into a joke is very strong (in a Benard Manning kind of way)....but I will resist...if only for my own personal safety.

UPDATE 2014 : Shop appears to have gone, so happy hunting for their stuff elsewhere. There is some corner of a foreign field that will always have a nutter in a cow outfit in it.

• gwened's Profile Photo

Carrefour city: groceries in your neighborhood

by gwened Written Feb 25, 2014

nice mini supermarket from the hyper Carrefour showing up in many cities in France and Paris of course has its shares.

This are convenience stores open late loaded with grocery goodies for the hungry in your hotel/apartment in you.

I like carrefour and do the city and market types many times as we drive all over France. Paris is no exception and for a quick meal, drinks, last minute paper towels, cups utensils savers for a picnic they are great.

The one I try last is Inside the gare saint lazare b the rue d'Amsterdam side.

What to buy: groceries and picnic items

What to pay: convenience store so prices are higher than on regular hyper market but very competitive for been Paris

carrefour city at Saint Lazare

• gwened's Profile Photo

Proxi Market: groceries late hours nice choice proxi

by gwened Written Feb 23, 2014

In my new neck of the woods we have a Proxi grocery store supermarket which is very nice,and provides many other services such as clothing pressing. We use it often for convenience last minute needs.

Now in my latest hunt in Paris, walking leisurely in the evening on bd Saint Michel found myself with a Proxi there too. The stores had a wonderful display of fruits and vegetables and loaded. Convenient times as usually open very late to 01h00.

Something tothink about when renting in paris and needed those wonderful grocery items. And rest assured it is good, part of the group Carrefour.

What to buy: groceries are food items, paper cups/plates/utencils, paper towels etc all needed for a dinner or lunch day

What to pay: convenience prices but reasonable.

Proxi Market arriving proxi market

Passy Plaza: shopping on the classic 16éme

by gwened Written Jan 15, 2014

This is the perfect example of living here, been here, my favorite area of Paris, just to be myself and no pictures yet ::)

But I have to tell you about the Passy plaza. Open Monday to Saturday 10h to 19h30
    supermarket INNO 9h30 to 21h30
    Monoprix store 9h to 21h50
    Starbucks cafe 8h30 to 20h30
    Monop 8h30 to 20h30

Many ways to get here
    my way you know it, its the car ,so you take rue de Passy, then rue Jean Bologne and on this street you find the entrance to the parking. off Blvd périphérique you get in on the porte de Passy
    By bus
    Line 9 : Station La Muette
    RER C : Station Boulainvilliers
    By Velib' bicycles
    Station Jean Bologne
    motorcycle parking by Rue Jean Bologne towards rue Raynouard ; Rue Jean Bologne towards rue de Passy, and Rue de l'Annonciation
    Taxi station at Place de la Muette

the stores
    H&M and Massimo Dutti, Agatha, and le Grand Récre are good ones to browse and shop.

The area of rue de Passy is just fantastic and easy to get off the BP beltway. You are walking distance from Trocadéro and the Eiffel tower with great views.

What to buy: clothing, groceries, souvenirs. We have come here for clothing and coffee stop at starbucks.

What to pay: Paris prices but the experience

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Ave des Champs Elysees: Need a new car?

by Maryimelda Written Dec 15, 2013

This is one of those "only in my dreams" type showrooms which my son drooled over when we were in Paris in September, 2013. A little out of our price range but there must be a market for these cars or else they wouldn't be making them and selling them on the Champs Elysees. We didn't ask about prices as we knew that was a sure sign to the proprietors that we couldn't afford any of them.

What to buy: Cars, although not necessarily the ones in which you drive the kids to school.

What to pay: The sky's the limit.

• Photography

many: shopping cheap shirts

by gwened Updated Dec 13, 2013

shirts are all over Paris, my personal best where I shop you need train from gare st lazare and then a bus at Franconville, Quai des Marques; its a discounted outlet stores very cheap prices.
    the other near Disney mentioned above is pricey. Around Paris the best is along blvd magenta going from pl de la republique to out blvd la chapelle. they have those brands and prices are good for Paris; 50-70 euros per shirt.
    enjoy shopping in paris ;;)

What to buy: clothing for all

What to pay: best prices in Paris

• Business Travel

Marché couvert de Brochant: covered market local at Brochant

by gwened Written Jul 27, 2013

This is a nice vibrant active typical Parisien market off the tourist trail that I am showcasing here.

It is at rue Brochant and Lemercier in the 17éme arrondissement of Paris. It is open from Tuesdays to Saturdays from 8h30 to 13h and 15h30 to 20h -Saturdays are non stop from 8h30 to 20h and Sundays is from 8h30 to 14h closed on Mondays.

The closenest of the stands and the vibrant hollowed of the merchants is awesome, and for me there is a parking undernearth love it! I shop here often when lived in nearby and worked in Paris.

What to buy: food ,cheeses cold cuts,meat vegetables fruits delicious.

What to pay: best prices its a market of local and near producers

covered market at Brochant or Batignolles coming on rue cardinet to rue jouffroy d'Abbans

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Christmas Market at Saint Lazare: For your December shopping

by pieter_jan_v Updated Jul 18, 2013

I happened to be in Paris in mid-December and after leaving the Saint Lazare train station I could not go around the Christmas market at the station square.

The traditional wooden stalls, like I know them from Germany created a cosy atmosphere.

What to buy: A quick snack or some fun Christmas gift.

Looking for a tie?
    • Trains

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Paris Expo: Foire de Paris

by Nemorino Updated May 18, 2013

This is a commercial fair that has been held in Paris every year since 1904. It takes place during the last week of April and the first half of May (which means that hotel prices go way up during these weeks, at least in the southern half of Paris).

At the fair in 2013 there were 1,829 exhibitors divided into three main groups: the home, cultures of the world and well-being/leisure.

Even though I am a notorious non-consumer, I decided to go and see what all the fuss was about. Before leaving home, I booked a ticket online at http://www.foiredeparis.fr/, to avoid standing in line to get a ticket. The ticket cost twelve Euros and was valid for one admission on any day of the fair.

As in any big fair (like the Frankfurt Book Fair, which I attended for thirty-four consecutive years), there are so many exhibits that no one person can hope to see them all. So you just wander around and take pot-luck, or if you are better organized than I am you can study the maps and find the locations of the exhibits that interest you.

Out of the eight exhibition halls at “Paris Expo”, the Paris fairgrounds at Porte de Versailles, six were in use for the fair in April and May 2013.

Over 200 shows, conferences and events are held at Paris Expo each year, with about 6 million visitors. Paris Expo is said to be the fourth largest venue for trade fairs in Europe. The largest is the Köln Messe in Cologne, Germany, followed by Geneva Palexpo in Geneva, Switzerland and the Expocentre Fairgrounds in Moscow, Russia.

Next review from May 2013: Porte de Versailles

Entrance to the Paris fairgrounds Warning! Sale of phony tickets! Hall 4 Latin American products in Hall 4 Native American products in Hall 4

Paris Hotels

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Maison du Pre
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Paris Shopping

shrimp56's Profile Photo

Where to start. First off, there are normally only two sale seasons per year in French stores, Winter, beginning after the holidays and summer, beginning at the end of June. ("Solde" is the...

Map of Paris