Eiffel Tower, Paris

by kris-t
  • Eiffel Tower
    by beach7863
  • Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Not your usual Eiffel Tower review....

by Maryimelda Updated Apr 12, 2014

Many people will tell you when you are off on your first visit to Paris not to bother with going to the top of the Eiffel Tower because you will wait for hours and pay a hefty entrance fee and so on and so forth......

These warnings are of course perfectly true and when I balked about going to the top on my first visit to Paris (mainly because I have a huge fear of heights) my travel companion (who had been to the top on numerous occasions on previous trips) said quite simply, "Well of course that is your decision, but it seems to me that it would be a crying shame to come to the Eiffel Tower and not go up." Then he stood back whilst I pondered his remark and watched me in silence and said no more. I felt like a party pooper extraordinaire, so I decided to grit my teeth and grin and bear it. The upshot is that I have now been to the top on various visits a total of three times and yes I have queued for long periods of time (once in pelting rain) but the view is enough to make any coward get over their fear.

Yes, there are many other places to get the view over Paris some of which (like Montmartre or the roof of Galleries Lafayette will cost not a penny. But somehow I will always favour the view of the city from atop the Tour Eiffel. On my visit to Paris in 2013 with my family, my son and grandson who were having a "just us boys" sightseeing day, arrived at the Tower, took one look at the queue and decided not to bother. On the other hand his wife and my granddaughter who were having a "just us girls" shopping day, decided to wait on the queue and were very glad that they did. My son of course on the flight home said his only regret about the whole trip was that he didn't go to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

It's entirely up to you.

• Flying.Scotsman's Profile Photo

I made it to the 2nd floor!

by Flying.Scotsman Written Feb 4, 2014

Amazing view

I have read several reviews that claim the 2nd floor is the best place to view Paris from. I didn't go to the top because I don't like heights, but the second level does give a great view and I was okay with the height once I got there. Going up on the lift is interesting travelling past the ironwork. One advantage of going in the winter is that the queues are fairly short. Here are some photos of Paris from the Eiffel Tower.

• solopes's Profile Photo

The Last Time

by solopes Updated Jan 5, 2014

Paris - France

Yes, we've been in Eiffel tower, and went up to the top.
    It's beautiful and expensive, and, once done it's done.

Yes, we did it one second time, still beautiful as in the first one.
    No need to repeat...

We did it a third time. And a fourth...
    Now for sure: the fourth was the last one.

I guess: when will it be the fifth?

Not yet!

Picnic by the Eiffel Tower

by Nemorino Updated Dec 29, 2013

One morning we met in the Parc du Champ de Mars near the Eiffel Tower for a VirtualTourist meeting and picnic.

Location and photo of the Eiffel Tower on monumentum.fr.

I rode over there on a Vélib’ bike from the Latin Quarter – as did another VT member, davesut, as he has described on one of his travelogues.

Dave is here looking towards the Eiffel Tower in the first photo, along with Valerie (BorneoGrrl) and Helena (longsanborn).

Next review from September 2011: Watching the Eiffel Tower at night

Watching the Eiffel Tower at night

1. ET watching at night

Every night when the weather is nice there is a sort of spontaneous international picnic and tower-watching party on the grass of the Parc du Champ de Mars near the Eiffel Tower.

We went there with a VirtualTourist group and had a pleasant time just standing or sitting around with hundreds of other people (it’s a big park) and going ouu and ahh once an hour when the tower started sparkling for a few minutes.

Second photo: Lots of people on the grass.

Third photo: VT members taking photos. The one facing us is Sonja (yumyum from Zürich, Switzerland) and the one with the tripod is Ann (aussirose from Perth, Australia).

Fourth photo: The sparkling tower. My astronomer friends would no doubt decry this as unnecessary light pollution, but when you’re in good company on a warm evening it’s sort of nice.

Next review from September 2011: VirtualTourist walking tour

• Nemorino's Profile Photo

Relief in sight for the queuing problem?

1. The Seine and the Eiffel Tower

I haven't gone up the Eiffel Tower since Wednesday, October 26, 1966.

The reason for this is that I am a notorious queuophobe, meaning I try to avoid doing anything that requires standing in line for more than five or ten minutes.

That pretty much rules out the Eiffel Tower, doesn't it?

Well, there might be some relief on the way, maybe.

Since 2005 the tower has been run by a new public-utility company called the Société d'exploitation de la Tour Eiffel (SETE), of which the City of Paris holds 59.9% of the shares. Part of this company's mission is "to continually improve the reception, access and flow of visitors," and to do this they have recently announced a new plan which will (at some unspecified future time) allow visitors to reserve half-hour slots online.

Will this solve the problem? Who knows, but it's worth a try.

The president of SETE, Jean-Bernard Bros, who is also a deputy mayor of Paris in charge of tourism, has been quoted in the papers as saying: "Today, above all, we want visitors to leave with rich memories, with more time spent on the tower, less waiting in line, less pushing around."

Update 2011: The Eiffel Tower website now offers the option of buying tickets online. The online tickets are for the elevators only, not for the stairs. You have to buy the tickets at least one day in advance. First you decide which elevator you want to take (to the second floor or to the top) and how many people are in your party. Then you choose a time (“subject to availability”), fill in your contact information and pay with your credit card. Then you either print out your e-ticket or transfer it to your cell phone, provided you have a cell phone that can display bar codes.

I haven’t tried this yet for the Eiffel Tower, but the procedure sounds very much like the way I routinely order e-tickets for rail travel or for opera performances. The instructions for this are available on the Eiffel Tower website in nine languages, including Chinese, Japanese and Arabic.

When you have bought an e-ticket, they say you should please “make sure that you turn up at the time you booked. If you’re late, you may not be allowed in." (Same as at the opera.)

Second photo: Boats on the Seine near the tower.

Third photo: Lying on the grass looking up at the tower.

• fairy_dust's Profile Photo

Eiffel tower - A total must-see, no matter what

by fairy_dust Written Dec 20, 2013

From afar

Since I could only spend a day in Paris, I knew I wouldn't be able to see much, but I thought to myself - "what is the one thing I have to see in Paris no matter what?" The Eiffel tower, of course! Everyone knows about it and even if it's the biggest tourist trap in the world, a trip to Paris is not complete without it.

I took the metro to get there. While walking towards the tower, a street artist started calling out to me, saying he wanted to draw a picture of me. I ignored him, since I knew I'd have to pay, plus I was wearing a short dress so he probably wanted to pick up. Though I didn't take the elevator up to the top, I walked under the tower. There is also an antique carousel nearby, adding some old-fashioned charm to the area.

• batchyk's Profile Photo

magnificient...

by batchyk Written Dec 11, 2013

i was there last year of May and it really touched my heart. I didn't dare to go up but i cannoy described the feeling i felt while standing below the tower silently viewing the details of the structure. I went there on broad daylight and after a day, i went back to feel the evening view of te tower. I felt the romantic atmosphere around that time (though alone =)) and came to realize why Paris is known for lovers. I may be hating myself for not trying to step on top of the tower but i have this feeling that i may going back and feel again the romantic view around especially while on top of it... cross my fingers...

so those of you who still plan to see the most known tower, do not pass the chance to go up. When i was there at night, i can tell the beauty of the city and the unexplanable feeling from the heart and how much more if on top of this spectacular tower. Don't miss it!

• MikeBird's Profile Photo

Experience it close up - at night

by MikeBird Updated Sep 20, 2013

Tourists with a big torch light?

You have a choice of three levels - as it was the first night of our trip we wanted to go to the top - blow the expense! Adults were Euro14.50 each ( updated in 2013) for a lift entrance to the top. It was February and about 8pm at night so we didn't have to queue for long to buy tickets or to take the lift - the only option available to us. We went straight to the top, changing on the second level to the vertical lift that rises through the central column. The lift was packed tight so if you suffer from claustrophobia stick to the outer edge of the lift and look out of the window. Also beware of pickpockets - there are lots of opportunities for them to practice their dipping skills.

Once at the top there are two floors; the lower is enclosed with glass and has a series of panoramic photos with a key to help you identify the various places of interest. Above it a panel listing most of the capital cities around the world and the distance from the Tower.

You can go up a short flight of steps to the highest level which is in the open air though you're kept safe because it has secure netting. It was pretty chilly out there but we had fantastic views. The challenge is to spot the Glass Pyramid inside the courtyard of the Louvre - we failed despite easily making out the enormous Palace amongst the sparkling lights.

On the hour up to at least 11pm the Tower comes alive with shimmering, flashing white lights that look fantastic from a distance - though not so good from the tower itself. For the rest of the evening it's illuminated in a golden glow of spotlights and crowned by a rotating beam of light similar to that of a lighthouse. After midnight the lights are switched off and the visitors will have gone.

Leaving the tower you will have plenty of opportunities to buy plastic and metallic replicas from the numerous hawkers who are around the site and the neighbouring streets.

If you go in February go well prepared with thick clothing; it gets pretty chilly up there. You might even be disappointed - I'm convinced on the following night the top level was closed. We couldn't see the top of the tower as it was shrouded in mist and there didn't appear to be any lifts going up from the second level. So if you want to go to the top - pick a clear night.

• shavy's Profile Photo

Eiffel Tower by Night

by shavy Updated Aug 30, 2013

Eifel Tower by night

It is almost impossible to visit without seeing the Eiffel Tower. Even if you do not wish to visit the world famous tower you will see the spire from the very center of Paris. The tower is 300 meters high, when it was built at the end of the 19th century

Today is all original resistance disappear from the Eiffel Tower. Not only is it unthinkable to imagine, without Eiffel Tower, Paris has it's even become the symbol per excellence for the City of Light

The Eiffel Tower is a must-see anytime, but there is something magical about visiting the Eiffel Tower at night. Riding up the tower at night to the top, looking out over the streets of Paris, you'll see why Paris is known as the "City of Light." At street level, seeing the spotlight on the top of the Tower zoom across the Paris skyline, and the reflection of the Tower in the Seine

• Orkaena's Profile Photo

PARIS AND THE SYNONYM, EIFFEL

by Orkaena Updated Aug 16, 2013
    La Tour Eiffel

There are just a handful of cities in the world represented so strongly by an icon as Paris and the Eiffel Tower, and perhaps I am exaggerating with "handful", probably it is less even.
    But, here it is, the Tower, a formidable work of art in every senses, engineering, technique, aesthetics, design, scale, omnipresence, and your mouth wide open with your neck almost broken trying to get the pinnacle with your eyes.

We've wandered around the tower for a while, several days, every days, admiring her breathtaking presence, feeling her massif elegance even when she is not at sight.
    As if she were the woman that you loves you know that the Eiffel Tower IS there because you can feel her even with your eyes closed.

The first impression provoked by this marvel is unique, unforgettable, doesn't matter how many pictures you've seen before or how many reviews you've read, or how much you know about the singular history of the construction, the reality is a burst of adrenaline blowing up your mind and your heart.

What can I say? Nothing to add. I am boring you.

• xoxoxenophile's Profile Photo

The quintessential symbol of Paris

by xoxoxenophile Updated Aug 15, 2013

Eiffel Tower from the Trocadero

You're in Paris. Whether you want to see the Eiffel Tower or not, you will see it.

If you want a nice view of it, see it from the Trocadero. (I would suggest doing this once at night, and once during the day.) For those who don't know (as I didn't), the Trocadero is this sort of park area, with a large sort of balcony with great views of the Eiffel Tower, fountains in front, some sculptures around, and (when we were there in May) some very pretty flowering trees. Just get off the Paris metro at the stop called "Trocadero." Easy enough, right? After dark on the hours (at least at 10pm and 11pm), the Eiffel tower will sort of glitter, which is definitely a cool thing to see. There are two carousels nearby (we rode for about 3 euros) and crepes stands, as well as countless men selling mini Eiffel Towers and keychains of this Parisian symbol. Be sure to barter with them if you want them--you can get the keychains for dirt cheap (I believe I got 5 for 1 euro), but the larger the mini Eiffel Tower, the more expensive it will be. Either way you can haggle with them, and if you give them a larger bill they may claim they can't make change, and you will have to barter for more Eiffel Towers rather than getting your change back. This is pretty fun (a lot of people in our group really enjoyed haggling over the Eiffel Towers), and most of the people selling them are friendly, if a little pushy. If other people come up to you and ask if you speak English (often with a clipboard), simply shake your head no, as they are looking for money. There are also some nice flowers in gardens on the opposite side of the Eiffel Tower from the Trocadero, which are definitely worth strolling through.

As far as going to the top of the Eiffel Tower... The line is always LONG, and slightly shorter if you get there in the morning, as we did. There's also less of a line (and it's less expensive) if you want to walk up the Tower, but that definitely wasn't my cup of tea. They take you to the first level in an elevator, where you can get out and look around (and there is a gift shop and restaurant on that floor, but the souvenirs here are much more expensive than the ones from the hawkers below). Then you take a second elevator to the upper level, and a few stairs to the very top. The views of Paris are definitely worth it, even if you have a fear of heights, and something that shouldn't be missed while in Paris. You can see the Seine and some beautiful classic Parisian buildings, and on a clear day you can even make out Notre Dame in the distance.

Obviously if you're in Paris, you're going to see it. But if you want some nice views of it, try the Trocadero (at night or in the day), or if you want some nice views of Paris--and to say you've been to the top of the Eiffel Tower--go ahead and give it a try!

• DAO's Profile Photo

DEATH AT THE TOWER !

by DAO Updated Aug 9, 2013

DEADLY !

WHAT THE TOURIST AUTHORITIES DO NOT WANT YOU TO READ !

Just to put it into perspective, you can find this quote all over the internet – “The Société de la Tour Eiffel has indicated that there have been only 349 successful suicides from the tower.” Wow. What a success. I don’t think so. This structure has been plagued by death since before it was fully built! They try and tell you no one died during the construction – false. No one fell off of it. They died on the ground.

So only a few hundred have died at the tower. Most of these are suicides, but there have been others.

An Austrian tailor named Franz Reichellept jumped from the first deck in 1912 to test a tent-like parachute coat he had invented. He should have tried it first at a lower height. The impact area was a meter deep. Verdict: failure.

The first suicide was reportedly a printer's mechanic (what?) who hanged himself from the north pillar in 1891. He left his clothes to Mr. Eiffel himself. Mad as a hatter.

In May 1995 a Norwegian parachutist died after jumping from the second floor when his chute snagged on the tower’s superstructure. Fortunately (according to the BBC) “A spokeswoman for SNTE, the company that runs the tower, said security measures meant very few parachutists or hang-gliders managed to launch themselves from the monument,” 400 dead and not many get through? Not numbers to be proud of. Then, a bit later, they caught 2 more Norwegians with equipment trying to do the same thing! They should have let them go to see if history repeated itself

THE EIFFEL TOWER – DEADLY!!

• Travel with Pets
    • Disabilities
    • Seniors

• MaaikeSchmit's Profile Photo

What a view indeed!

by MaaikeSchmit Written Aug 8, 2013

the famous tower at a cloudy day

You can either walk to the tower from just about anywhere in the main city of Paris or you can take the Metro to Champs de Mars Tour Eiffel and walk the short distance to the tower.

Amazing views of Paris from the top level. Anyone begging or trying to sell you anything at the bottom of the tower is probably an illegal immigrant, just be prepared for a little hassling from these people - but they run away when the cops come. Also there is long lines to get up the tower in summer.

• Mountain Climbing

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo

View from the top of Eiffel, Paris, France

by TrendsetterME Updated May 26, 2013

View from the top of Eiffel, Paris, France

The "Eiffel Tower" (La Tour Eiffel) is an iron lattice tower located on the Champ de Mars in Paris, named after the engineer Gustave Eiffel, whose company designed and built the tower.

Erected in 1889 as the entrance arch to the 1889 World's Fair, it has become both a global cultural icon of France and one of the most recognizable structures in the world. The tower is the tallest structure in Paris[10] and the most-visited paid monument in the world; 7.1 million people ascended it in 2011. The third level observatory's upper platform is at 915.7 ft (279.1 m) the highest accessible to the public in the European Union. The tower received its 250 millionth visitor in 2010.

Enjoy the view from the top of Eiffel Tower to all directions of Paris City ... :)

Here you can see more photos of this great architecture especially lit at night by my "Eiffel Tower" Travelogue .... :
    Eiffel at Night

The Tower and the Elevator is open daily 09:00am till 23:45pm and its very worth to pay the entrance fee to the top ....

Instant Answers: Paris

• travelman12's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2013 at 5:19 PM

The next time I go, I'll remember to bring running shoes instead of dress shoes:)

• Hcamper's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM

The walk up to the second level was not all that bad - don't rush it, just keep going. Once you get to the 2nd level there is barely a line to catch elevator to top! and quite the bargain $$

Hotels Near Eiffel Tower