Maison Radio - France, Paris

• Maison Radio - France
    by spanishguy
  • 5. Radio France from a balloon at 150 meters
    5. Radio France from a balloon at 150...
    by Nemorino
    2. Salle Olivier Messiean
    by Nemorino
  • Nemorino's Profile Photo

Concerts at Radio France

by Nemorino Updated May 18, 2012

1. The House of Radio France

I have a thing about woodwind instruments. If I believed in reincarnation I think I would want to come back as a flute. But only as a particular flute played by one particular person.

The concert I went to at the House of Radio France was all about woodwind instruments in the works Francis Poulenc (1899-1963). It was a family concert at 11 o'clock on a Saturday morning, with lots of children but also numerous adults in the audience.

Since I knew very little about Poulenc this was quite educational for me as I'm sure it was for the children, and it also cleared up any doubts I might have had about what the instruments are called in French. The oboe is an hautbois, which is no doubt the source of the English and German word oboe, and a horn is a cor, otherwise no surprises. The musicians were members of the Philharmonic Orchestra of Radio France, and the concert was taped for broadcast on France Musique the following week.

Second photo: This concert hall and broadcast studio is named after another French composer, Olivier Messiean (1908-1992).

Third photo: Part of the audience and one of the technicians.

Fourth photo: The musicians and the moderator, Jean-Francoise Zygel, taking their bows at the end of the concert.

Fifth photo: The House of Radio France as seen from a tethered balloon at a height of 150 meters.

By coincidence I recently attended a similar concert in Frankfurt am Main. At the hr studios I ran into Holger Falk, who asked me if I was on my way to the Large Broadcast Hall. I said no, and asked what was going on there. "I'm singing there," he said, and he smuggled me in. It turned out to be an hr-Domino children's concert with singers personifying different instruments. Holger was a proud Spanish torero representing the trumpet. Both of these concerts, in Frankfurt and in Paris, were highly entertaining and musically first-rate.

• Architecture
    • Music

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Maison de Radio-France (2003)

by Mikebond Written Nov 25, 2005

Maison de Radio-France

The Maison de Radio-France is a big cylinder in glass with a circumference of 500 metres, built by Henri Bernard in 1963. A museum tells the story of radio and TV transmissions. My parents and I didn't visit it, we only saw the building after visiting the Serres d'Auteuil, about which you can read some tips in the Off the Beaten Path section.

• Architecture

• Imbi's Profile Photo

Maison de Radio-France

by Imbi Written Jan 7, 2003

This large building was constructed between 1952 and 1963 to give a home to the French television and radio industries. With its glass and aluminium architecture, it represents one of the most important modern edifices of post-war Paris. Today, there are more than 60 studios, along with thousands of offices. A museum here traces the history of telecommunications

Instant Answers: Paris

Comments

Hotels Near Maison Radio - France
4.0 out of 5 stars