This is one of those buildings which could certainly tell a long and interesting tale if only it could speak. Built in the 17th century for the mother of Louis XIII (Marie de Medicis) and then extended in the 19th century, it is the official address of the French Senate these days. In between the 17th century and the present day, this building has been home to just about everything you can think of.
Primarily a residence for the aristocracy, the palace has also served among other things, as a museum and a headquarters for the Luftwaffe. Hermann Goering was in residence here during the German Occupation of Paris. Fortunately the building was spared from bombing as the Germans had the sense to surrender when they knew that all hope of victory was gone.
Appointments can be made to tour the Palace but only in groups. Admission is free.
Palais du Luxembourg overlooks the equally famous Jardins du Luxembourg in the 6 eme.
The palace of Luxembourg is a very beautiful architectural unit and owes its name to the mansion belonging to François of Luxembourg which occupied the site in the 16th century. The estate was bought by Marie de Medici, regent of France.
Drawing inspiration from the Pitti palace in Florence she had a new palace build by architect Salomon de Brosse.
Marie de Medici settled there in 1625. She commissioned the large paintings by Rubens that one finds today in the Louvre museum. The right part of the palace was reserved for her whereas the left part was occupied by her son Louis XIII.
The queen mother did not benefit a long time from her beautiful palace of Luxembourg, in 1631 her son Louis XIII, tired of her interference in the businesses of the State and of her hostility to the Cardinal de Richelieu, throw his mother out following what is called in France the “Day of Dupes”. Marie de Medici was exiled.
The castle remained in the royal family until the revolution.
The old mansion called “Petit Luxembourg” became the residence of the president of the French Senate.
The “Grand Luxembourg” of Marie de Medici became the "Palais du Luxembourg" seat of the French Senate.
Visits of the Senate are organized for small groups and on reservation. 01.42.34.20 .60
It is said to be the oldest museum of Europe. Marie de Medici had two galleries of her palace arranged to accommodate the paintings of Rubens dedicated to her glory. The museum becomes public only in 1750. It was the first public museum of painting in France. About hundred exposed paintings came from the Cabinet of the King.
The public discovered Leonardo da Vinci, Raphaël, Rembrandt, Van Dyck. These paintings were later transferred to Le Louvre.
In 1818 the galleries of the palace became the Museum of the "alive artists" with works of David, Ingres, Delacroix.
In 1884 - 1886 the French Senate built the building which shelters the current museum. The Musée du Luxembourg received the Caillebotte legacy with paintings of Picasso, Pissaro, Bonnard, Degas, Gauguin, Renoir. They were exposed here until 1937, when the collections were transferred to the new museum from modern art, today museum of Orsay.
Since then the museum receives temporary exhibitions, especially of the Italian Renaissance in alternation with modern art.
Presently there is an exhibition: Chagall "Entre Guerre et Paix" from 21/02 - 21/07/2013.
Entrance fee 11 €.
No photos allowed.
Ce serait le plus ancien musée d'Europe. Marie de Médicis avait fait aménager deux galeries pour accueillir les tableaux de Rubens dédiés à sa gloire mais le musée ne devient public qu'en 1750. C'était le premier musée public de peinture en France.
La centaine de tableaux exposés provenait alors du Cabinet du Roi.
Le public découvrait Léonard de Vinci, Raphaël, Rembrandt, Van Dyck. Ces tableaux sont ensuite transférés au Louvre.
En 1818 les galeries du palais deviennent le Musée des artistes vivants avec des oeuvres de David, Ingres, Delacroix.
En 1884 - 1886 Le Sénat édifie le bâtiment qui abrite le musée actuel. Il reçoit le legs Caillebotte. Picasso,Pissaro, Bonnard, Degas, Gauguin, Renoir sont exposés jusqu’en 1937, date à laquelle les collections sont transférées au nouveau musée d’art moderne aujourd'hui musée d'Orsay.
Depuis lors le musée reçoit des expositions temporaires, surtout de la Renaissance italienne en alternance avec l'art moderne.
Prix d'entrée 11 €.
It was in 1611, when Marie de’ Medici [wife of King Henry IV of France, acquired the land and set about having a Palace built that would remind her of her childhood Palace. Unfortunately, the Queen never did see the Palace finished, as she was exiled to Brussels in 1630.
The Palais du Luxembourg is currently the seat of the French Senate.
Luxembourg Palace is open to the public, except during the French Senate meeting days.
Monday, Friday and Saturday between 10.30 - 2. 30PM
Group reservations: 01.42.34.20.60 or by email.
The palace is open for individual visits one Saturday a month - Details and booking at 01.44.54.19.49 or by email
This is now the home of the French senate. It was designed by Solomon de Brosse in the 1600’s. It was finished in 1631 and remained a Royal Palace until the revolution. The palace has been used as a prison and during World War II it was headquarters of the Luftwaffe with air raid shelters built into the gardens.
Built in 1631 for King Henry IV's widow Marie de Medici, it was intended to remind her of her home in Florence. It was designed by Salomon de Brosse, and modelled after the Pitti Palace. After the Revolution, it was used as a prison. During World War II, it became the headquarters of the German Air Force (the Luftwaffe). Today, it's home to the French Senate. The building and gardens are exquisitely beautiful. It's the most popular park in the city.
The gardens are open daily, but to tour the inside requires an appointment, months in advance.
The Luxembourg Palace was built for Marie de Medicis in the years 1615-1627. The architect Salomon de Brosse, designed it as a Florentine palace because Marie de Medicis liked this style. He was the son of Jean de Brosse, another architect and he inherited the position as the architect of Marie de Medicis from his uncle Jacques II Androuet Du Cerceau. (Other works by Salomon de Brosse include the aqueduct of Arcueil in 1624.)
The palace was built for Henri IV’s wife - the queen Maria Medici. It was planned to be identical to Pitti palace in Florence, so she wanted, having sigh for her fatherland. And after her husband’s death, she moved to live here, but it didn’t last long, she was asked to leave the country. After that the palace was named as Luxembourg palace, as it was in its beginning. During its existence it was as prison and during war here was even located German headquarters. I don’t know if you get in, because we just walked through large gardens and enjoy palace from outside. I liked its reflection in garden’s basin.
The Palais du Luxembourg is a palace in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. South of it lie the gardens of Jardin du Luxembourg.