Catacombes, Paris

• Catacombes
    by Carmela71
  • Catacombs were a bust

by Mintie Written Jan 25, 2005

We made our way to the catacombs hoping to find an extraordinary sight. Unfortunately it was nothing but rooms and rooms and rooms full of bones. I mean, it's interesting and all, but I would rather have seen photos of it... or at least been able to exit the maze once I decided I had seen enough. Unfortunately, you cannot and you are fed through the maze until you exit on an unmarked tiny street.

Quite disappointing. :(

Unique Suggestions: Be ready to walk and walk and walk through the underground rooms of bones. And definately don't do it if you're claustrophobic.

Fun Alternatives: Sacre Coeur, on the other hand, is gorgeous! Climb the steps to the top [even if it's raining or the dead of winter]. Truly and amzing view of Paris. And a gorgeous structure... whose stone gets whiter as it ages.

• Carmela71's Profile Photo

Catacombes

by Carmela71 Updated Nov 30, 2004

We checked before our visit that it was Monday the day it was closed (as we missed last year) and that everything was right. Even the receptionist of the hotel printed from their web page the information about how to get and everything (well you know my memory I forgot our Paris guide book at home LOL, as usual....).

When we arrived, we founded that the catacombs are closed from the 1st November till may 2005.

Instant Answers: Paris