Eiffel Tower, Paris

view from the top
    by GentleSpirit
  • Eiffel Tower
    by GentleSpirit
  • The Eiffel Tower and its beautiful surroundings.
    The Eiffel Tower and its beautiful...
    by Jerelis
  • solopes's Profile Photo

Top Level

by solopes Updated Jan 10, 2013

Most newcomer insist in going up to the top of the tower - no objection, it's really high, and you'll feel in in your way up. But be prepared for a small disappointment: the views are generally better from the first level (much cheaper).

Of course, you will have the pleasure of having been there, the post office and souvenirs to register it, but if you're more practical or in a budget the first level will do it.

Paris - France Paris - France Paris - France Paris - France

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo

Going to the top of the Eiffel Tower

by GentleSpirit Written Jul 11, 2012

The Eiffel Tower is easily the most recognizable of Paris' many sights. Any first time visitor to Paris should, of course, visit the Eiffel Tower. You should realize, however, that there are different ways of seeing this magnificent sight. You can hike up the stairs (300 of them) to the 1st or 2nd Floors, there you can relax have a bite to eat and see beauitful Paris from your perch.

Taking the elevator to the top of the Eiffel Tower costs 14 euro. You will have to wait in some good sized lines, and to be honest I didn't feel it was worth it:)

Unique Suggestions: just go to the first or second floors,,,,,the view at the top isnt that much better

view from the top
    • Photography

• Karlithus's Profile Photo

Gold rings on the floor

by Karlithus Written Nov 3, 2011

The most elaborated scam I've seen (on me!) in Paris, when someone passing through you simulates catching an gold ring and then try to give it yo you saying it was the destiny and you should keep it for health and fortune.

Once you accept it, he will follow you until you give him money and threats you if you don't.

I've seen many people fall on it, some I've advised on time, nut fortunately I was already advised before I go.

Seen it happening a lot near Eiffel Tower!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Not worth the wait

by Dabs Updated Oct 11, 2011

I just read of someone's four hour wait in the cold December air to ascend the Eiffel Tower and recalled the coldest I had ever been, the day that we waited atop the platform on the Eiffel Tower, waiting to go to the next level, on an equally cold December day many years ago.
    Just my opinion, of course, but I think of all of the things you could be doing in Paris with four hours. And then there's the real problem with being on top of the Eiffel Tower-you can't see the Eiffel Tower!

Don't get me wrong, the Eiffel Tower is a wonderful monument, especially when it is lit up at night so go see my must see tip before you think badly of me :-)

Unique Suggestions: If it's December, wear lots and lots of clothes! And try to figure out when it will be the least busy, it seems that early am might be the best.

I understand you can now purchase tickets in advance but that's always a risk that the weather won't be good, who wants to go up the Eiffel Tower when it's raining or foggy? It's the same problem I have with the London Eye.

Fun Alternatives: Go for the great views on top of Notre Dame or the Arc de Triomphe. I also understand that there is a fine free view from the Galeries Lafayette, there used to be a fabulous view from the Samaratine Department store which has been closed for a number of years but I saw an article saying that a development was in the works at this site so maybe someday they will reopen the upper deck.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

The Eiffel Tower - Ambushed with merchandise.

by Jerelis Updated Oct 8, 2010

What to expect when you visit the Eiffel tower? Hhmmm, I saw long lines, lots of cranky tourist and alot of people selling souveniers. Be prepared to ambushed with merchandise and by beggars. Honestly I can say that tThe one thing that definately spoils a visit to the tower are the street hawkers who try to sell you cheap 1 euro tacky light up Eiffel Towers. These people are persisent, even if you move away from the tower and sit by the road. Most I am certain were not even french. Besides that I couldn't miss to notice that the lot to the Eiffel Tower is one big peddlers paradise. They should be moved on.

I guess for the best viewing experience, go to the "Parc du Champs de Mars", which is a long expanse of grass directly south east of the tower. At my first stay with my friend Jacco we went at sunset and it was flooded with locals enjoying the view. All the locals had brought wine and food and were enjoying themselves in perhaps one of the best picnic spots on earth. It seemed to be a pretty popular spot for students and young professionals. I think we were the only non-French speaking people sitting out there, but everyone was pretty friendly to us. Sitting out here with my best friend and watching the sunset was perhaps one of the best experiences I've had in Paris. Bring a blanket to sit on, wine, and snacks.

Directions:
    Accessible from the Ecole Militaire metro stop. But remember ... if you look up and around and can't see it, then you're not in Paris.

Fun Alternatives: …Montparnasse Tower

The Eiffel Tower may be the quintessential symbol of Paris. But for magnificent views of Paris that actually include Gustave Eiffel's engineering feat, check out La Tour Montparnasse, France's tallest skyscraper. From the 59th floor terrace, or the 56th floor restaurant, the panoramas astound. It costs €10.50 (about $14.50) adult admission to get to the top, compared to €13 ($18) for the Eiffel top platform visit, and the lines are significantly shorter.

My vinger on the top! Eiffel Tower seen from Parc du Champs de Mars. With Sam and Iris in front of the Eiffel Tower.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

The Eiffel Tower - The ultimate tourist trap!

by Jerelis Updated Oct 8, 2010

I have been to Paris for a few times now and remember that arriving in Paris for the first time I had to go to the Eiffel Tower, there were no excuses! I thought that the Eiffel Tower would be an awe-inspiring sight and visible from virtually everywhere in Paris. I was probably in Paris for 5 or 6 hours walking around before I first caught sight of it.

When I fisrt spotted it I took some cool picts of it from the Arc of Triumph, but rather immediately I wanted to see it from close. Meh. I didn't think it was all that interesting to be honest. I know that for some people must be cool, but I am one of those persons that enjoy places for what they mean and this tower doesn't mean anything to me. It is the ultimate tourist trap. So, I guess this is a must that everyone "has" to do and see in Paris, but I didn't find it that exciting at all. I think I will put it on the bottom on the things I liked about Paris.

But anyway The Eiffel Tower is the iconic image of Paris. Probably the most photographed spot in the world. Images of the tower elicit such a response in anyone.

Fun Alternatives: …Montparnasse Tower

The Eiffel Tower and its beautiful surroundings. Sam and the Eiffel Tower. Up close and personal.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

The Eiffel Tower - A bit of history.

by Jerelis Updated Oct 8, 2010

The Eiffel Tower was built for the International Exhibition of Paris of 1889 commemorating the centenary of the French Revolution. The Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII of England, opened the tower. Of the 700 proposals submitted in a design competition, Gustave Eiffel's was unanimously chosen. However it was not accepted by all at first, and a petition of 300 names - including those of Maupassant, Emile Zola, Charles Garnier (architect of the Opéra Garnier), and Dumas the Younger - protested its construction. At 300 metres (320.75m including antenna), and 7000 tons, it was the world's tallest building until 1930. Other statistics include:
    • 2.5 million rivets.
    • 300 steel workers, and 2 years (1887-1889) to construct it.
    • Sway of at most 12 cm in high winds.
    • Height varies up to 15 cm depending on temperature.
    • 15,000 iron pieces (excluding rivets).
    • 40 tons of paint.
    • 1652 steps to the top.

It was almost torn down in 1909, but was saved because of its antenna - used for telegraphy at that time. Beginning in 1910 it became part of the International Time Service. French radio (since 1918), and French television (since 1957) have also made use of its stature.

Fun Alternatives: …Montparnasse Tower

Just under the famous tower. Iris is not taller than the Eiffel Tower. Cyrille and Pauline are there!

• tvor's Profile Photo

Yes, *that* tower

by tvor Updated Dec 3, 2007

The Eiffel Tower is the symbol of Paris. It's over 100 years old, built for an exposition in 1889. The architecture draws you in, the lights at night delight. 6 MILLION people descend the tower every year. There's always a line up and a wait for the elevators which can take quite awhile when busy and full.

Prices per adult: 1st floor 4.50, 2nd floor 7.80, top 11.50. Stairs 1st and 2nd floor: 4 euros.
    Elevators open late in summer, stairs close at 6 in winter/off season.
    No advance ticket sales

Unique Suggestions: Take photos from below or from the Palais Chaillot across the river, from underneath or from the College Militaire. The Eiffel tower goes all sparkly every hour on the hour for 10 minutes after dark and it's quite spectacular to see.

Fun Alternatives: go to Montparnasse Tower. At 210 m. at the 56th floor you are higher than from the second level of the Eiffel. or go up the Arc de Triomphe and take photos with the Eiffel *in* your photo.

• Street hawkers

by deeboreham Written Nov 26, 2007

The only thing that spoils a visit to the tower are the street hawkers who try to sell you cheap 1 euro tacky light up Eiffel Towers. These people are persisent, even if you move away from the tower and sit by the road. Most I am certain were not even french. They should be moved on.

• hartti's Profile Photo

3.5 Euros for Climping

by hartti Updated Aug 4, 2007

After I had bought the ticket to Eiffel Tower, I was happy, because I did not know that for that amount of money I could only walk by stairs to the 2nd floor. And there was again a payment to the lift! That was enough for me. But quite nice views I could see.

Looking Paris Sceneries
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• Cassidy19's Profile Photo

Tour Eiffel...do it in a group!

by Cassidy19 Written May 24, 2007

The Eiffel Tower is one of the major PAris attractions. Many people go on it just to say they have. I really wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it was. We were there in the spring, so the gardens around it were blooming, which made some awesome pictures! The view is pretty nice at night from the top, I thought. THe most amusing thing is all the graffiti! Even the signs that ask you not to graffiti, are covered in signatures and drawings!

Unique Suggestions: While, if you go alone, you will be waiting in a line up for quite some time, see if you can group with a bunch of people and get a group rate. We grouped up with another school group, and waited about 10 min at the bottom. The group line up is MUCH shorter. We did have to wait about half an hour at the first level...but it was sunset so we had a pretty good view even when we were waiting. Watch out for vendors at the bottom. Some have okay prices for sorta okay products, but most will just rip you off.

Fun Alternatives: Maybe just go to see it! Don't go to the top, but explore the grounds around it. The gardens are very nce, and there are many vendors and stores in the area.

• School Holidays

• callumsmith1234's Profile Photo

See The Eiffel Tower from the Sacre Coeur

by callumsmith1234 Written May 13, 2007

La tour eiffel is an International symbol of class and elegance, and is the overwhelming emblem of Paris. Whatever you do when in Paris - you MUST visit her and despite what the guides and experienced visitors may say it really is a sight to behold.

Unique Suggestions: Visiting the Eiffel tower is definately something you have to do in Paris. It's an international symbol of elegance, class and gives some amazing views of Paris. Despite the Cliche nature of this attraction, it really is amazing and I would say is one thing you should do before you die. Despite the views not being superb it's more about the experience of visiting such a place - For the best results visit at Dusk when the lights have just been turned on. By the time you reach the top it will be twilight and the city of lights will really have come alive. This time also gives you the oportunity to take some fantastic snaps from the 1st and 2nd floors which have a better view than "La Somme".

Fun Alternatives: To get a really spectacular view, La Sacre Coeur is the place to go. Once you have reached the sacre coeur (Walk or take the tram) and see that view, you will be speechless. Some amazing pictures to be had as you see the Eiffel tower looming over the rest of the beautiful buildings of Paris in that amazingly symetrical way. Why not climb the Ballisca de Sacre Coeur for about 5 Euros? This gives you a superb view if you can bear the stairs!

The Tour Montparnasse is good too, much less elegant that the eiffel tower but great for a drink at the top.

From the bottom of the Eiffel Tower at Night. View from the Sacre Coeur through the leafy trees.
    • Architecture

• Beware--scam artists under the eiffel tower!!

by lilspitfire_2003 Written Feb 18, 2007

When my husband and I went to the eiffel tower, a woman walked up to us (we were on the green--away from the crowd) and handed me a card that said she was from russia and was stranded and needed money to get back home. This made sense to me, so I handed her like 2 euros and walked happily along. 2 minutes later, I came across several other women with different cards and different nationalities doing the same scam. I felt like a fool but I laughed it off and bought my ticket to go to the top! The eiffel tower is a must and was wonderful....just beware.

• Watch for gypsies!

by eha11554 Written Dec 29, 2006

They seek out English speaking people to beg for money "for easten Europe". So much for their poverty level-I saw about 6 women get into a new minivan and leave after being shooed off by Paris police!

• School Holidays

• hoofhearted's Profile Photo

Le Tour Eiffel

by hoofhearted Updated Aug 21, 2006

"The" place to visit in Paris. Whether you go up, or not, this iconic structure is impressive from top to bottom. We were the first up on a Sunday morning, not too crowded and plenty of photo ops. We considered walking, but the elevators are much nicer!

Unique Suggestions: The view is gorgeous...

Fun Alternatives: You MUST go!

Eiffel Tower