Eiffel Tower, Paris

view from the top
    by GentleSpirit
  • Eiffel Tower
    by GentleSpirit
  • The Eiffel Tower and its beautiful surroundings.
    The Eiffel Tower and its beautiful...
    by Jerelis
  • Cassidy19's Profile Photo

Tour Eiffel...do it in a group!

by Cassidy19 Written May 24, 2007

The Eiffel Tower is one of the major PAris attractions. Many people go on it just to say they have. I really wasn't expecting it to be as nice as it was. We were there in the spring, so the gardens around it were blooming, which made some awesome pictures! The view is pretty nice at night from the top, I thought. THe most amusing thing is all the graffiti! Even the signs that ask you not to graffiti, are covered in signatures and drawings!

Unique Suggestions: While, if you go alone, you will be waiting in a line up for quite some time, see if you can group with a bunch of people and get a group rate. We grouped up with another school group, and waited about 10 min at the bottom. The group line up is MUCH shorter. We did have to wait about half an hour at the first level...but it was sunset so we had a pretty good view even when we were waiting. Watch out for vendors at the bottom. Some have okay prices for sorta okay products, but most will just rip you off.

Fun Alternatives: Maybe just go to see it! Don't go to the top, but explore the grounds around it. The gardens are very nce, and there are many vendors and stores in the area.

• School Holidays

• suhadis's Profile Photo

Patience is a virtue...

by suhadis Updated Sep 18, 2005

Vendors near here sell merchandise at expensive prices. Not too mention there will be people approaching you if you want to buy those little Eiffel Tower key chains or postcard the moment you come under the shade at the base of the tower.. They are very persistent but so should you when you do not want to buy anything from them. And if you're in line for the queue to buy tickets for the tower, be prepared to be repeating yourself as different people will approach you selling stuff, even though he had seen you denying the person before him..

Btw the cheapest Eiffel tower key chains I saw was at 50 Euro cents apiece at a cart vendor that was somewhere between the tower and école Militaire.. Do I hear lower guys???

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

Buying Souvenirs!

by Marpessa Updated Jan 11, 2006

Eiffel Tower

Save your money and don't buy souvenirs from the Eiffel Tower, they increase the prices of gifts there to extortion.

Fun Alternatives: Buy your gifts (or something for yourself) from shops in the streets or even at the airport - you'll save yourself a lot of money.

• Eiffel Tower. Be aware.

by rafran2 Written May 21, 2006

I went this past December to Paris and all my family went to the Eiffel tower. Al vendor were pushing us to buy, we have to be body to body not to be robed.,hours in line to go up, it is not worth the time. You can go to Galeries la Fallete and have a nice view and also enjoy the good food and buy some to take to the hotel

• surfluvr641's Profile Photo

Eiffel Tower - Most expensive dining in Paris

by surfluvr641 Written Mar 22, 2005

Do not eat at the cafes around the Eiffel Tower. They are completely overpriced and the food really isn't that great. There is plenty of scenery around Paris...find another cafe.

Fun Alternatives: Go to the grocery store and have a picnic with wine in the grassy area in front of the Tower.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

Bureau De Change

by kentishgirl Updated Jan 26, 2005

Stunning Paris

I cant find the receipt from this exchange desk to give you the name...but I will keep looking!
    In a way it was my own fault...but I was completly p****d off at the attitude of the guy working there at the time!
    The bureau is located next to a souvenier shop just by Bir Hakiem metro station.

Unique Suggestions: I needed some sterling changed into euro as we were about to leave Paris and I knew that the area we were visiting would not have any money change facilities, so I guess you could say I was in a bit of a rush, and not thinking straight...when I change money I always ask "how many Euro will I get for this amount"? In this case I diddnt and boy was I ripped off....big style!

We were quite short if cash as it was, so I had £80 sterling that I wanted to change...I guessed that would give me about 100euro what with the exchange rate....think again...try 74euro! He gave me a really bad rate, and charged me about 15euro in commission! They have a set commission and then a percentage every euro they change!

I was stung completley...and in shock!
    The rate and commision board was really hard to see in fairness...stuck on a wall right behind where the guy was sitting so it was obstructed...on the glass frontage they had a sign saying "no transaction will be reversed"...this should of been a tell tale sign straight away...I was almost in tears...the guy was so blatantly rude and just kept tapping at the sign on the glass - and saying "huh...you should have asked me before I changed it"!!

There was an Italian guy waiting to be served after us, I knew after about 10minutes of arguing with the staff that we would not get our money back...he just diddnt care! We hung around outside the bureau for a while deciding if there was anything else that we could do...when all of a sudden the Italian guy cam out shaking his head and looking at his receipt....Clearly then we were not the only ones!

Fun Alternatives: So....in the future I would strongly suggest that money change transactions are carried out in a bank...and ask what you will get beforehand!

• Business Travel

• hoofhearted's Profile Photo

Le Tour Eiffel

by hoofhearted Updated Aug 21, 2006

Eiffel Tower

"The" place to visit in Paris. Whether you go up, or not, this iconic structure is impressive from top to bottom. We were the first up on a Sunday morning, not too crowded and plenty of photo ops. We considered walking, but the elevators are much nicer!

Unique Suggestions: The view is gorgeous...

Fun Alternatives: You MUST go!

• Watch for gypsies!

by eha11554 Written Dec 29, 2006

They seek out English speaking people to beg for money "for easten Europe". So much for their poverty level-I saw about 6 women get into a new minivan and leave after being shooed off by Paris police!

• School Holidays

• ptee's Profile Photo

eifell polaroids

by ptee Written Feb 23, 2006

There is a drunken french man at the foot of the eifell tower taking polaroid photos of young couples and then demanding and in one case just snatching 10 - 20 euros off them for the photo.

Unique Suggestions: JUST SAY NO AND KEEP WALKING AWAY

• amyhouston's Profile Photo

Gypsies at long lines

by amyhouston Written Mar 15, 2006

You will see gypsies in Paris, they are usually pick-pocketers. I also saw bunch of them with small notes asking for money approaching tourists waiting at the long line for Eiffel Tower. I've been waiting in line for 2 hours, saw the same note with different writing from 2 different gypsy girls. I saw generous tourists giving them money, especially young rich teenage tourists. I saw them asking for money up and down the line twice in 2 hours.

I had to laugh...one of them was very chunky and didn't look like she was starving..

Unique Suggestions: Just say "No". Beware of the pick pocketers, if you feel a person following you too closely and keep bumping into you then turn around and give them a mean nasty glare.

• Karlithus's Profile Photo

Gold rings on the floor

by Karlithus Written Nov 3, 2011

The most elaborated scam I've seen (on me!) in Paris, when someone passing through you simulates catching an gold ring and then try to give it yo you saying it was the destiny and you should keep it for health and fortune.

Once you accept it, he will follow you until you give him money and threats you if you don't.

I've seen many people fall on it, some I've advised on time, nut fortunately I was already advised before I go.

Seen it happening a lot near Eiffel Tower!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

The Eiffel Tower - The ultimate tourist trap!

by Jerelis Updated Oct 8, 2010

The Eiffel Tower and its beautiful surroundings.

I have been to Paris for a few times now and remember that arriving in Paris for the first time I had to go to the Eiffel Tower, there were no excuses! I thought that the Eiffel Tower would be an awe-inspiring sight and visible from virtually everywhere in Paris. I was probably in Paris for 5 or 6 hours walking around before I first caught sight of it.

When I fisrt spotted it I took some cool picts of it from the Arc of Triumph, but rather immediately I wanted to see it from close. Meh. I didn't think it was all that interesting to be honest. I know that for some people must be cool, but I am one of those persons that enjoy places for what they mean and this tower doesn't mean anything to me. It is the ultimate tourist trap. So, I guess this is a must that everyone "has" to do and see in Paris, but I didn't find it that exciting at all. I think I will put it on the bottom on the things I liked about Paris.

But anyway The Eiffel Tower is the iconic image of Paris. Probably the most photographed spot in the world. Images of the tower elicit such a response in anyone.

Address:
    Champ de Mars, 75007 Paris.

Directions:
    Accessible from the Ecole Militaire metro stop. But remember ... if you look up and around and can't see it, then you're not in Paris.

Phone:
    33 (0) 1 44 11 23 23

Fun Alternatives: …Montparnasse Tower

The Eiffel Tower may be the quintessential symbol of Paris. But for magnificent views of Paris that actually include Gustave Eiffel's engineering feat, check out La Tour Montparnasse, France's tallest skyscraper. From the 59th floor terrace, or the 56th floor restaurant, the panoramas astound. It costs €10.50 (about $14.50) adult admission to get to the top, compared to €13 ($18) for the Eiffel top platform visit, and the lines are significantly shorter.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo

The Eiffel Tower - A bit of history.

by Jerelis Updated Oct 8, 2010

Just under the famous tower.

The Eiffel Tower was built for the International Exhibition of Paris of 1889 commemorating the centenary of the French Revolution. The Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII of England, opened the tower. Of the 700 proposals submitted in a design competition, Gustave Eiffel's was unanimously chosen. However it was not accepted by all at first, and a petition of 300 names - including those of Maupassant, Emile Zola, Charles Garnier (architect of the Opéra Garnier), and Dumas the Younger - protested its construction. At 300 metres (320.75m including antenna), and 7000 tons, it was the world's tallest building until 1930. Other statistics include:
    • 2.5 million rivets.
    • 300 steel workers, and 2 years (1887-1889) to construct it.
    • Sway of at most 12 cm in high winds.
    • Height varies up to 15 cm depending on temperature.
    • 15,000 iron pieces (excluding rivets).
    • 40 tons of paint.
    • 1652 steps to the top.

It was almost torn down in 1909, but was saved because of its antenna - used for telegraphy at that time. Beginning in 1910 it became part of the International Time Service. French radio (since 1918), and French television (since 1957) have also made use of its stature.

Address:
    Champ de Mars, 75007 Paris.

Directions:

Phone:
    33 (0) 1 44 11 23 23

Fun Alternatives: …Montparnasse Tower

• Architecture

• When you visit the Eiffel...

by u50jr Written Aug 25, 2002

When you visit the Eiffel Tower, there are so many beggars and pickpockets in the centre. It is like Traffalger Square with the pidgeons. Never give them any money. The women generally have babys and toddlers that they have drugged. They can get quite aggressive when you tell them where to go.

• helimaarit's Profile Photo

Louvre, the Eiffel, Notre...

by helimaarit Written Aug 25, 2002

Louvre, the Eiffel, Notre Dame.. But one should really see them! You know everyone is going to ask, did you go to the top of Eiffel, and did you see Mona Lisa... My opinion is that the Eiffel is most beautiful seeing from a distance.

Instant Answers: Paris